Options

Congrats to sherstone, the DSS #16 (The Big Wide World of Dgrin) Winner!

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
What a great round! You all did awesomely well and the images were stunning! :clap :clap :clap If you weren't familiar with posting in other areas of Dgrin, I truly hope you found this challenge helpful.

Our judges, PaulThomasMcKee and KevXman, have chosen the following finalists from which your votes will select the winner. In their independent selections for ten best photos, they agreed on 4 this time, giving us 16 finalists.

This is an open vote, all DGrin members are eligible to have their say. The poll closes 3 days from now, go go go!!!

In no particular order, the best The Big Wide World of Dgrin photos:

KurtPreston - Goldfinch in Winter Plummage
447592565_tDXkX-XL-2.jpg

AaronNelson - "Regal Waters"
449664394_CZPzF-XL-2.jpg

jeffmeyers - Urban Temple
449809418_KzFRf-XL.jpg

jeffreaux2- "Head Over Heels"
450407532_MfYAx-XL.jpg

Dwayne Oakes-The Ice Flower
450434407_jukkw-XL.jpg

hawkeye978: Christmas at Cape Neddick
450622292_LTgfL-XL.jpg

tlee---Solace
450709753_9Wa6Y-XL.jpg

divamum - "Cattitude"
450849763_KsBux-XL.jpg

MrsCue - Happy Thoughts
451765321_4ELbC-XL.jpg

annnna8888 - Cold
451909293_LFVc4-XL.jpg

BeachBill - "Bryce Sun Star"
452647044_6MDhx-XL.jpg

cmurph - On the line
452711400_U3XoA-XL.jpg

Mycaptures--Big Brother
452761663_JscoW-XL.jpg

Sciurusniger - "Big Goals"
453156728_cHAfB-XL.jpg

anonymouscuban - "A slice of Potato"
453232692_Yq4xq-XL.jpg

sherstone - isola oscurata
453537878_9Z3BP-XL-1.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

What is the best Big Wide World of Dgrin photo? 155 votes

KurtPreston - Goldfinch in Winter Plummage
1% 3 votes
AaronNelson - "Regal Waters"
9% 14 votes
jeffmeyers - Urban Temple
7% 11 votes
jeffreaux2- "Head Over Heels"
8% 13 votes
Dwayne Oakes-The Ice Flower
5% 8 votes
hawkeye978: Christmas at Cape Neddick
6% 10 votes
tlee-Solace
2% 4 votes
divamum - "Cattitude"
5% 8 votes
MrsCue - Happy Thoughts
10% 16 votes
annnna8888 - Cold
5% 8 votes
BeachBill - "Bryce Sun Star"
6% 10 votes
cmurph - On the line
6% 10 votes
Mycaptures--Big Brother
5% 9 votes
anonymouscuban - "A slice of Potato"
5% 8 votes
Sciurusniger, "Big Goals"
3% 6 votes
sherstone - isola oscurata
10% 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I voted! Great work, all! thumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    WOW!!! Amazing work everyone!!!
    I'm in again...YIPPEE!!! clap.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Seriously??!! HA! I felt so completely outclassed in this round I had just ASSUMED that I'd be out of the running and hadn't even thought about it!
    Thanks, guys - I'm more than honoured to have been included from a field of such high quality submissions - gaWOW!!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Thanks to the judges for my selection. This is the first time I've ever made it this far and I'm really happy.

Some beautiful pictures in this round. Congratulations to the other finalists.
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Congrat to all!! What an interesting fun round.
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Oh Wow!!!
    So Cool - thank you!

Congratulations everybody, way to go thumb.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Wow!
    I can't believe I'm one of the finalist. I almost didn't enter because I thought I didn't have a chance. But then I thought it was worth it just to participate. Low and behold... I made it.

Thanks guys. Good luck to everyone and my congrats in advance to whomever wins!!!

- Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I can't believe I'm one of the finalist. I almost didn't enter because I thought I didn't have a chance. But then I thought it was worth it just to participate.
    - Alex

I thought exactly the same! Laughing.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    Congrates everyone! Great group of pictures!thumb.gif
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Nice going everyone!! Congrats to the winner whomever that may be....and for the rest of us.....WAY TO GO......Awesome entries All!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapCongrats!!!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    very exciting, thank you judges, i know its tuff to narrow down, good jobthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    cmurphcmurph Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Thank you Paul and Kevin for being our judges on this one clap.gif you had a great number of wonderful images to choose from here and I am humbled to have made the list. iloveyou.gif

thank you

Great work everyone...now which to vote for...thumb.gif
    :wow
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I voted!
    Man, this was a tough one! We have a formidable group of photographers here and so many outstanding shots! To all the finalists: congrats for some really great work, and very well done everyone!

To come up with my final choice for the vote, I had to go over my 4 or 5 favorites with a fine-tooth comb in a process of elimination, which was hard to do! I actually learned a few things and hopefully developed a more critical eye which I can use to assess my own stuff.

Although I missed participating in this round, I was able to visit many of the other groups and added some posts here and there in keeping with the spirit of the challenge. Thanks for the gentle nudge out of the nest, so to speak!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I HATE voting when it's like this - it's hard enough picking 10 as favorites, but just 1 vote? I always have at least 3+ images I could choose and I hate having to single one out among "equals"!

Really consistently high quality images this round (and I include the DQs in that number - was sorry to see that a couple of my favorites got nosed out)

clap.gifA big bravo to everybody - such inspiring work in these challenges ... just makes me want to learn more and go out and shoot more!
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Wow! Congrats to all of the finalists. I'm having a REALLY difficult time voting. They're all so awesome!!

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Nice work, everyone! Congrats!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Congratulations y'all on another (sounding like a broken record :D ) awesome round. Making a final selection will be difficult - think about what that says about the high quality talent here. clap.gif Rock on!
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    The entries this time were simply outstanding. I think the challenge format allowed everyone to shoot within their "comfort zone" as far as subject matter, yet forcing fresh eyes onto their work was a different way to push that work to another level.

Excellent job, everyone!!! clap.gif
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    fotoeffectsfotoeffects Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Wonderful Images
    A lot of terrific shots in this challenge. Congrats to all of the finalists.
  • Options
    leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Great work everyone! It was hard to vote for only one. clap.gif
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Now THAT was a tough vote to make. Congratulations to the finalists. clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Congrats to all finalists. I'm having a really tough time trying to decide which one I like the best. I have it narrowed down to 6 at least. Awesome job everyone. Maybe I'll be able to decide before the voting ends....

Sherry
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Congrats to all the finalists clap.gif! I am honored to be a finalist myself.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Coaching/Feedback
    I want to acknowledge Paul Thomas Mckee and Scirius Niger for their excellent feedback and coaching for this round. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thank you both, and congrats to all the winners. clap.gif
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I want to acknowledge Paul Thomas Mckee and Scirius Niger for their excellent feedback and coaching for this round. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I always appreciate getting constructive feedback and encouragement, and because I so often barely have time to shoot, decided this take advantage of having time this time to "give back".

It was pretty fun with so many really good entries!
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    And the winner is...
    sherstone! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif A huge congratulations go out to Sean for his wonderful image:

isola oscurata
    453537878_9Z3BP-XL-1.jpg

The following 5 photographers are now eligible to play in the upcoming Mega-Challenge:

sherstone
    MrsCue
    AaronNelson
    jeffreaux2
    jeffmeyers
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 15, 2009
    MY GOSH! Look how close this one was! What excellent work everyone. Congrates Sherstone!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Well done, folks! clap.gifCongratulations to all of you.