• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Wildlife Specklebelly Geese

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Jan-09-2009, 06:07 PM
NorthernFocus is offline NorthernFocus OP
Ignorance is truly bliss.
Specklebelly Geese
Greater white-fronted geese (commonly known as specklebellies) from last spring. Still going through files from then

Nikon D200 w/80-400mm VR

The feet are really that orange. No increased saturation in PP. Just cropping, a bump in contrast, and USM.

In this shot it's easy to see why they are called specklebellies. Not easy for a hunter to mis-identify these when they're landing in the decoys.

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
Old Jan-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Jack'll do is offline Jack'll do
Major grins
Very nice captures Dan. I've not seen these geese before.

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)
Old Jan-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Maestro is offline Maestro
Amateur at best :-)
Very good set. I especially like the last one with the two coming in for a landing. When they are wintering down south their colors certainly do not pop like that.

Old Jan-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Ric Grupe is offline Ric Grupe
Hampshire Prairie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
Very good set. I especially like the last one with the two coming in for a landing.
...very nice.

Canon EOS, 5D Mark II, 7D (2).

Canon EF, 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, 300L f/4 IS, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 24-105L f/4 IS.

Old Jan-10-2009, 07:12 AM
dlplumer is offline dlplumer
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Grupe
...very nice.
+1
Old Jan-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I'm running out of files to scour through for lost images. I hope we get a break in the weather soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
...When they are wintering down south their colors certainly do not pop like that.
I've seen some photos posted of specklebellies wintering down south and the legs look more yellow. I know a lot of birds light up during mating season so maybe that's what's going on with these guys Whatever the case it makes them easy to spot amongst a flock of Canada geese.

Old Jan-10-2009, 09:02 AM
PrescottPhotog is offline PrescottPhotog
PrescottPhotog
Quote:
Originally Posted by articblooms
Greater white-fronted geese (commonly known as specklebellies) from last spring. Still going through files from then
Hi Dan, Very nice shots. I've never seen Specklebellies before, another new critter for the memory files. My favorite is #3, very nice shot.

How cold is it up there.. I heard 40 below.. brrrrrrrrr
Canon CPS Member------SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net------ NAPP Member..Click for Info
Old Jan-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks, Chris. We haven't seen it above -30F for three weeks now. As low as -50. We've had a continuously moving forecast of relief in three or four days. They'll be right sooner or later. For sure by May.

I fired a whole sequence of shots of those two landing. Unfortunately I was using a Nikkor 80-400 which is the old slow mechanical drive AF and this is the only one that was reasonably in focus. A couple of the other shots had better wing position but just were beyond recovery with my level of PP skills.

Old Jan-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Harryb is offline Harryb
old and lazy
Good captures, especially #3.
Old Jan-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Harry.

Tell The World!