Options

Bridal Fairs...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in Weddings
Hey all.
I have another bridal fair coming up in a couple weeks, and I thought I would just throw out a question or two to everyone about them. I don't remember it having been brought up before, and thought it might be helpful if we discuss the goings on.

So here goes!

1. How do you set up your booth?
2. Do you have a slide show? Laptop? Monitor? What do you do?
3. What do you hand out?
4. You have spent perhaps hundreds of dollars to get ready, so what is your ultimate goal for the day to feel like a success?
5. What type of album do you have on display?

And I will go ahead and answer my own questions:

1. The booths that I rent are always supplied with pipe and drape. You know the tacky stuff? Usually 2 toned and some kind of awful texture that reminds you of feed bags? Yeah, I don't like that. I cover my section with seamless paper- usually black. Then I hang my banner- (I have a sweet full color vinyl banner that I designed and had printed.) I hang a few huge photos on the seamless. I set up a black leather love seat, a coffee table and lamps with business cards and albums for the browsing. I have a really nice easel on which I put my slide show monitor (like a print). And then I set up a small table for me to hide behind. And there is a matching rug on the floor. But my booth is a "come on in and visit" type rather than the "stay on the other side of the table" type. Everything matches from the business cards to the decor because I am anal and I like it that way.

2. Slide show- yes. But I am working on it to make it better! Isn't that always the way it is!

3. Candy- Usually mints. The cake vendors are always handing out just enough cake to give everyone bad breath. They always see my mints with great relief. I also hand out business cards and a brochure about my business.

4. I go for appointments. I don't think I have ever actually sold a wedding at a bridal fair, but I have made many wedding contracts because of a wedding fair. I usually create an insentive for making and keeping an appointment- like a free gift at the appointment. That works smashingly.

5. My display album is a graphistudio one. I also have a couple of blurb ones about the booth.

So come on! Tell us what you do! I would love some tweaking on my style to draw in the crowds.

Comments

• Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I've been tempted, but never done one. My weddings are something that I want to build, and perhaps look into doing this in 2010.

This is a great topic I'd love to hear the different ideas!:D
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Cheaper way to go
    The faires around here are real zoos with way too many photographers at them and often times the market at them is not what I am wanting to book.

I teamed up with someone else in the business who will have a booth at a local fair. His market is higher end brides and he is well established. He is going to do a drawing among those who meet with him and they will get a discount for booking both of us as well as give gift certificates of my services for an engagement shoot to all of them. There are images of my weddings on their gift certificates for both boudior/intimates and weddings so they will see my work and have my information.

I get to meet them face to face, one on one and they are only eligible if they haven't already booked. I will also get the list of show attendees too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    I guess there is a chance the market isn't as saturated up here, Laughing.gif.
    Well lucky me! At any given fair, there is usually between 15 and 25 photographers... And I have gotten some fairly big weddings from them. Don't get me wrong, my best weddings are from word of mouth from folks I have already worked with... but for new avenues of people, Bridal Fairs are a great accompaniment to my other advertising. Good idea about the discount. I'll have to think on that since it doesn't actually COST me anything.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I 've never been to one....in any capacity....but have been to other trade shows.

I'm curious about what you use to display your slide show. Some vendors at different trade shows bring in huge widescreen Hi Def television monitors....big Plasma types. I would imagine these can be rented...unless of course you already have one that you could relocate to the booth for the event. Theres nothing quite like seeing breathtaking images LARGE.

...just a thought...
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    The faires around here are real zoos with way too many photographers at them and often times the market at them is not what I am wanting to book.

I teamed up with someone else in the business who will have a booth at a local fair. His market is higher end brides and he is well established. He is going to do a drawing among those who meet with him and they will get a discount for booking both of us as well as give gift certificates of my services for an engagement shoot to all of them. There are images of my weddings on their gift certificates for both boudior/intimates and weddings so they will see my work and have my information.

I get to meet them face to face, one on one and they are only eligible if they haven't already booked. I will also get the list of show attendees too.

That sounds like a marvy opportunity Kathy! Yaaa for you! I've been thinking along the lines of a booth and there were some great threads over in DWF about this....amazing the amount of money it takes to do one though...especially doing it up large. I agree with Jeff...larger images are stunning and really draw in the prospects.

Fred....it sounds like you are on the right track. It will be interesting to see and hear other's thoughts on this important topic.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    mwink.gif I've photographed many weddings and attended numerous wedding shows or fairs. Our show season is right now. Some of them actually have the uncaring experience to hold them on Saturdays. A day that most of us hope to be making our living. I feel that they are a necessary evil for starting wedding photographers and give great exposure for those that are starting out. Cost effectiveness, I don't think so.
    I have to tell you that my partner and I (before we were partners) decided that the cost was not worth the effort. I did a survery the year before I made this decision and found that I could only trace one of my weddings to a show and I did 4 that year. And my experience showed that photographers were the most numerous of vendors. I feel that 15 -20 is to many for one show. I also found that the wedding show organizers don't really care. The more they enter the more they make. Over the last five years without wedding shows I've found my January's easier to spend time on other things. To me the best "bang for the buck" is your regional Wedding Guide and usually there are at least two. Choose one and wait and see.
    Just my thoughts, bsvirginian:D
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Around here (Milwaukee area) most of the established bridal shows get booked way in advance and a new guy like me can't even get in. It is my goal to squeeze into a few of the smaller ones next year. I attended 3 or 4 this year as a guest to check things out and my biggest surprise was the poor quality of the work I saw. Photographers showing albums with over/underexposed pics,and god-awefull color balance. Many were still shooting film. One of the better photographers (based on the work I saw) told me he had booked two events already from the show and had appointments to meet others after the show also.

I have done trade shows in my previous career (I was the sales manager for a home builder) and I always felt they were worth the expence. Not always dirrectly, but getting a name out there. At a typical show I would collect a couple hundred names and get a handful of apointments. I would usually sell at least one home as a result of the show and then years later I would recognise people from the show and it would be a topic of conversation or an ice breaker to start talking again. Have some half sheet sign-in cards and use the back to make notes of your conversation after people leave. People are always impressed if you remember details of your conversation, wife/kids names, and what there questions were.

The key I found for a successful show in the homebuilding industry was to talk to people. Don't just hand out your flyer and let people see your book. Don't just talk to the people who are anxious to take up your time!!!!! Some people have this big front up where they don't even want to look the "salesman" in the eye, but those are often the ones that are ready to buy! Those are the ones I target. Use your personality and your passion for the art to get them to open up. Assimilate yourself to that person by allowing their conversation style as the tempo of your conversation. Talk techie to those who want to talk techie to you, but not to those who don't etc.

In home sales, and probably even more so in something as personal as wedding photography, the client doesn't buy the product so much as the person who was offering it to them.

As for what to display, I think a big lcd with a slideshow is great and also some large prints. Big is key so that you can draw people from accross the room. Use of direct lighting on the prints can also class things up and help the background disapear a bit. Heather, your idea of the "mock livingroom" setup is a good one. Get people to feel comfortable and they are more likely to talk to you. Give people a place to sit down and they are more likely to wait until you have time to talk to them.

My $.02

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Heather, your work is the best advertisement I can imagine - you take GORGEOUS pictures, if your personality IRL is anything like you write in here (and I'm willing to bet it is :D) you're wonderfully approachable, friendly and enthusiastic, and I can imagine that those two things alone can set you WAY apart. Let 'em both shine!

Sounds like you've already gone a long way to emphsasing those "USP's", but I'd say that your images are so spectacular that if you keep them up front and in the spotlight and back it up with the joy you bring to them those things **will** attract attention.

There's a saying about auditions "SIng very well - the rest is extra". Meaning, if you sing well nobody cares if you wore the "right" dress or had the "right" manager or blahblahblahblahblah. Well yeah, the extras CAN count... BUT ultimately only if the product they support is there. Ultimately it's the quality of the *product* being sold which will get people to come and book (instead of simply look). And quality you clearly offer :):):)

I'm not sure that's the kind of specific, experienced practical advice you were hoping for, but just wanted to throw out my two cents there - sure, the trimmings can help, but showcase the substance of the goods. 'Cause you've sure got the goods!

Hope it goes well for you :)
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    To me the best "bang for the buck" is your regional Wedding Guide and usually there are at least two. Choose one and wait and see.
    Just my thoughts, bsvirginian:D

Interesting thoughts on this. Just curious, how much do your booth fees cost at the fairs you have been to? Here it isn't that bad really.

For me it is the time that kills me. Planning, set up, a really looong day, and tear down are all wearing.

I do get a bunch of business from the Alaskan Bride and Groom Magazine- as I am listed in the resource guide and have ads in there- and then the phone book. I guess you could say that I have a 3 pronged attack at advertising- Fairs, the mag/resource guide, and the phone book yellow pages.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I 've never been to one....in any capacity....but have been to other trade shows.

I'm curious about what you use to display your slide show. Some vendors at different trade shows bring in huge widescreen Hi Def television monitors....big Plasma types. I would imagine these can be rented...unless of course you already have one that you could relocate to the booth for the event. Theres nothing quite like seeing breathtaking images LARGE.

...just a thought...
    My slide show has been on our big HD TV monitor. I wasn't really happy with how it was last time. The colors seemed super saturated, extra contrasty and very magenta. Plus the resolution just can't compare with what you can get with a computer monitor. I am seriously thinking about getting a monster computer monitor like my brother has. I forget what it is but it is 30 inches. He is a HD video production company and HD ends up being about 4 inches across when viewed at full resolution. That puppy has so much resolution and photos look so BEAUTIFUL on it. (Does my jealousy show?)
    mmmatt wrote:
    Around here (Milwaukee area) most of the established bridal shows get booked way in advance and a new guy like me can't even get in. It is my goal to squeeze into a few of the smaller ones next year. I attended 3 or 4 this year as a guest to check things out and my biggest surprise was the poor quality of the work I saw. Photographers showing albums with over/underexposed pics,and god-awefull color balance. Many were still shooting film. One of the better photographers (based on the work I saw) told me he had booked two events already from the show and had appointments to meet others after the show also.

I have done trade shows in my previous career (I was the sales manager for a home builder) and I always felt they were worth the expence. Not always dirrectly, but getting a name out there. At a typical show I would collect a couple hundred names and get a handful of apointments. I would usually sell at least one home as a result of the show and then years later I would recognise people from the show and it would be a topic of conversation or an ice breaker to start talking again. Have some half sheet sign-in cards and use the back to make notes of your conversation after people leave. People are always impressed if you remember details of your conversation, wife/kids names, and what there questions were.

The key I found for a successful show in the homebuilding industry was to talk to people. Don't just hand out your flyer and let people see your book. Don't just talk to the people who are anxious to take up your time!!!!! Some people have this big front up where they don't even want to look the "salesman" in the eye, but those are often the ones that are ready to buy! Those are the ones I target. Use your personality and your passion for the art to get them to open up. Assimilate yourself to that person by allowing their conversation style as the tempo of your conversation. Talk techie to those who want to talk techie to you, but not to those who don't etc.

In home sales, and probably even more so in something as personal as wedding photography, the client doesn't buy the product so much as the person who was offering it to them.

As for what to display, I think a big lcd with a slideshow is great and also some large prints. Big is key so that you can draw people from accross the room. Use of direct lighting on the prints can also class things up and help the background disapear a bit. Heather, your idea of the "mock livingroom" setup is a good one. Get people to feel comfortable and they are more likely to talk to you. Give people a place to sit down and they are more likely to wait until you have time to talk to them.

My $.02

Matt

Well, I def have the big thing down. My smallest prints on display are hugo-mungus. I do find that it is a great chance to get out there and meet the other photographers of the area and scope out what products people are offering. Sometimes I feel like there is a bit of "sizing up the apponant" going on- but that doesn't bother me.

You have some great ideas about conversation- but the question is: What do you say to get them to stop and look!? Sometimes I see the folks doing the "avoid the salesperson" act and you can visibly see them shrink from vender to vender like a ball in a pinball machine. And the "Hi, how are you doing?" doesn't really draw them in at all! I have never been a sales person and to tell the truth avoid them myself.
    divamum wrote:
    Heather, your work is the best advertisement I can imagine - you take GORGEOUS pictures, if your personality IRL is anything like you write in here (and I'm willing to bet it is :D) you're wonderfully approachable, friendly and enthusiastic, and I can imagine that those two things alone can set you WAY apart. Let 'em both shine!

Sounds like you've already gone a long way to emphsasing those "USP's", but I'd say that your images are so spectacular that if you keep them up front and in the spotlight and back it up with the joy you bring to them those things **will** attract attention.

There's a saying about auditions "SIng very well - the rest is extra". Meaning, if you sing well nobody cares if you wore the "right" dress or had the "right" manager or blahblahblahblahblah. Well yeah, the extras CAN count... BUT ultimately only if the product they support is there. Ultimately it's the quality of the *product* being sold which will get people to come and book (instead of simply look). And quality you clearly offer :):):)

I'm not sure that's the kind of specific, experienced practical advice you were hoping for, but just wanted to throw out my two cents there - sure, the trimmings can help, but showcase the substance of the goods. 'Cause you've sure got the goods!

Hope it goes well for you :)
    Can I keep you? I know! I'll make a Divamom machine and then whenever I need a self esteem boost I will push the "Divamom button" and it will tell me how wonderful I am.... and to knock off the worrying. (thank you)

No seriously- you have valid points. It is the photos that will sell the bookings.

I am still wondering if anyone else has any experience with bridal/ wedding fairs that they care to share about.

For instance: What kind of follow up do you all do?
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Hi
    I know I gave negative comments concerning wedding shows but something that you might notice is that everyone is giving something away and usually it's a drawing. This is where you somewhat guarantee people at least pausing at your exhibit. You should also notice that the co-ordinators or sponsors of the event will more than likely have gift drawings too but will wait until the end of the event to give out the prizes. After that there will be a "mad dash" for the exits. Most of us thru experience gave away discounts for full wedding packages. What this does is give you a mailing list as they will fill out a form that you've prepared for them. Just some more thoughts, good luck. bsvirginianheadscratch.gif
    My slide show has been on our big HD TV monitor. I wasn't really happy with how it was last time. The colors seemed super saturated, extra contrasty and very magenta. Plus the resolution just can't compare with what you can get with a computer monitor. I am seriously thinking about getting a monster computer monitor like my brother has. I forget what it is but it is 30 inches. He is a HD video production company and HD ends up being about 4 inches across when viewed at full resolution. That puppy has so much resolution and photos look so BEAUTIFUL on it. (Does my jealousy show?)

Well, I def have the big thing down. My smallest prints on display are hugo-mungus. I do find that it is a great chance to get out there and meet the other photographers of the area and scope out what products people are offering. Sometimes I feel like there is a bit of "sizing up the apponant" going on- but that doesn't bother me.

You have some great ideas about conversation- but the question is: What do you say to get them to stop and look!? Sometimes I see the folks doing the "avoid the salesperson" act and you can visibly see them shrink from vender to vender like a ball in a pinball machine. And the "Hi, how are you doing?" doesn't really draw them in at all! I have never been a sales person and to tell the truth avoid them myself.

Can I keep you? I know! I'll make a Divamom machine and then whenever I need a self esteem boost I will push the "Divamom button" and it will tell me how wonderful I am.... and to knock off the worrying. (thank you)

No seriously- you have valid points. It is the photos that will sell the bookings.

I am still wondering if anyone else has any experience with bridal/ wedding fairs that they care to share about.

For instance: What kind of follow up do you all do?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    Maybe you already know this but....

-HDTV monitors can be calibrated. In lieu of making the investment in the hardware neccessary for this it is possible someone in your area can come out and do it for you.

-HDTV monitors display much less dpi than we see in prints. Much less. If you use a good resize method to whack your photos down to 1080 pixels on the verticle dimension they should display better....but still not as well as a print.....not even close really.

-Id be interested in knowing what monitor your B-I-L has. I am thinking mine is about ready for a replacement. I am going to try to stay in the 22" size range, but definately want a good display for editing. Im using a samsung currently that has been great....but it is nearly 4 years old and drifts ever darker every few months.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    It is a Samsung- he says that they have a 24 inch version of it as well. Though I have to admit 30 inches sounds like glory.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001098&Tpk=Samsung%20305t
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    It is a Samsung- he says that they have a 24 inch version of it as well. Though I have to admit 30 inches sounds like glory.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001098&Tpk=Samsung%20305t

Mine is an older smaller synchmaster....though probably no where near those specs. Oh well.....we can all dream eh?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009

Any chance he'd let you borrow his for the day of the show? :D:D:D
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009

Well for some people they just need a little kick start. Talk about things other than wedding stuff.
    "Nice bag! Is that a Coach?" or shoes or dress etc.
    "Love your hair, is that how you are going to have it done for your wedding?"
    "Wow... I just noticed what wonderful facial lines you have! I bet you are VERY photogenic. You will be such a gorgeous bride!"

Or maybe pull a couple off to the side and say "Wow what a cute couple you two are! I want to see how you photograph together. Can I take a quick shot? See! I was right!!! You two look so perfect together!"

Just be friendly and complimentary. Selling today is very different than what it used to be. The "pots and pans" sales techniques of Zig Ziggler don't work in today's marketplace. People are just too smart for that kind of crap. you want to sell without being a salesperson... IMHO Consultative selling techniques are what works today. Just be yourself, be friendly, enthusiastic, and be outgoing. Smile till it hurts, and don't pounce on people. Have answers prepared for every question but don't offer them unless the questions are asked. No sence in putting a question or a doubt in somebodies mind!

As said by others Heather, your work is wonderful and that will do a lot of the selling for you, but you got to go out and get the people! Inspire conversation... ANY conversation and you will do fine.

My other $.02 mwink.gif

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I have never been to one, but I plan on attending one this month. I'll make mental notes to share. :)
    Jaye
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Trade shows are pretty much falling by the wayside. Viewed by many companies as an incredible expense, they've chosen either to not attend or to go in with a much smaller footprint.

There are a variety of reasons for this (that I can see). Expense. Times have been getting tough for a while in the tech sector and it's a huge expense. Sales. Generally customers that show up for a tradeshow are looking for a deal and if you're selling, they may bite as long as the deal is good. Some shows don't allow for sales but instead allow for "whisper suites" where potential customers can chat. Customers. Most tradeshows don't generate a ton of new customers--it's mostly current customers or those you are talking with already that swing by to see what's shakin'.

All of this applies to the tech sector. Bridal events are more about meet & greet. B&G's that are looking for all the bits for a wedding. And you cannot discount the opportunity to meet a potential client. People who attend these events are looking for goods and services and if you're there and your competition isn't, that will work in your favor.

I'd say anything you can do that enhances your customer's experience in the booth and gets them to leave with the material they need to make a decision is a good one. As a thought, why not create a little check list that helps them through the photography part? Has your name and contact info prominently displayed. Maybe include a time line for engagement shots, first anniversary pictures and other things that may help bring additional work your way?

Don't forget the business cards :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Great thread:D

I've been asked to do a couple weddings in the past as a guy known for being a photographer, but not as a "Wedding photographer".

I've thought about making the foray into the business. I think a visit to a bridle fair may be in order. Just to check it out.

Anyways, for those looking at monitors, here are the recommendations from the MaximumPC websites "Best of the Best"

Budget Monitor... Envision G2219w1

Envision’s G2219w1 is the best 22-inch LCD monitor available for less than $300. Unlike other many other budget monitors, the G2219w1 didn’t suffer from banding or ghosting issues. This monitor’s grayscales are also impressive, particularly its ability to display a wide range of lighter colors.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/samsung_syncmaster_206bw

====================================

High-End Monitor... Gateway XHD3000

The XHD3000 is huge, comes with enough connectors to handle anything you can throw at it, and offers a beautiful picture for its expensive price. We’ve tested a number of 30-inch monitors, and Gateway’s giant display is a shining hunk of crystal compared to the other flawed display creations.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/gateway_xhd3000

Hope you find this helpful.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Any chance this was the fair at Evangelo's??

I made some inquires about it but was behind the 8 ball on time, so I did not do it. I would be curious to know how you felt it went as I am on the list for next years fair.

Thanks,
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    Any chance this was the fair at Evangelo's??

I made some inquires about it but was behind the 8 ball on time, so I did not do it. I would be curious to know how you felt it went as I am on the list for next years fair.

Thanks,
    I haven't done that one. But I have been told by more than one previous vendor that has been there that it isn't a great one. I am doing the Anchorage Wedding fair at the Dena'ina (however you spell that) center this weekend. Perhaps you should pop on by for a visit!?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    I haven't done that one. But I have been told by more than one previous vendor that has been there that it isn't a great one. I am doing the Anchorage Wedding fair at the Dena'ina (however you spell that) center this weekend. Perhaps you should pop on by for a visit!?

Make sure you take pics of your booth, it sounds wonderful but you know how us photographers are....visual learners Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Make sure you take pics of your booth, it sounds wonderful but you know how us photographers are....visual learners Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal

lol3.gif

Very true!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009

Thanks Heather I may just do that. BTW I took a look at your site, it's refreshing to see someone local with real skills. It burns me up to lose clients to some of the people I see advertising in the area, and then look at their portfolio and see work that is.... well I won't say it. Public forum and all. If I lose people to you I will know they are in good hands.

Your site also reminded me that I really need to go in and clean up my wedding section. It's been on the to do list for too long.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    Thanks Heather I may just do that. BTW I took a look at your site, it's refreshing to see someone local with real skills. It burns me up to lose clients to some of the people I see advertising in the area, and then look at their portfolio and see work that is.... well I won't say it. Public forum and all. If I lose people to you I will know they are in good hands.

Your site also reminded me that I really need to go in and clean up my wedding section. It's been on the to do list for too long.

Ha ha! I took a look at yours too- and boy am I jealous of your studio! I have dedicated over 1/4 of my house to one, but my ceilings are just too low to do it properly. I should have thought about that for a minute longer when we bought the house.
    I know what you mean about local talent, but I do know of about 4 great local people I wouldn't mind loosing a client to. (That came out wrong but you know what I mean. You said it much more poetically.)

It would be awesome to see you at the fair! (booth 617)

And don't we all need to do work on our websites! I haven't really touched mine for about a year. Geez time goes by quick!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:

You betcha! I was planning on it. I forgot my camera last time around eek7.gif (insert excuses) so it will be top priority this time!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Matt S wrote:

Peeping over the sidelines to say:

Matt, your site is great and GaWOW that wedding with the red cape - big props to the bride (or her style consultant) for thinking of that to go over the dress, and gorgeous shots!! thumb.gif

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Heather and Divamom. Thank you both.

Divamom the bride you refer to is my sister in law, I will be sure to pass along the compliment.

I just finished cleaning up the wedding section and put together a portfolio for it. I am not thrilled with it but it will have to do for now.

and Heather if you want to come see the studio sometime just give me a ring. --Matt
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Great thread:D

High-End Monitor... Gateway XHD3000

The XHD3000 is huge, comes with enough connectors to handle anything you can throw at it, and offers a beautiful picture for its expensive price. We’ve tested a number of 30-inch monitors, and Gateway’s giant display is a shining hunk of crystal compared to the other flawed display creations.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/gateway_xhd3000

Hope you find this helpful.

I have the 30+" Gateway at work.......it's FANTASTIC. I'll be upgrading at home very soon as it's addictive!

And Heather, I would love to help you at out at the booth just to see how the show goes, but I live a bit too far away. If you ever come to the Fairbanks show, let me know!
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:

The fair went REALLY well- I had 20 couples request consultations and over 120 couples signed up for the drawing of 25% off of a wedding package. (And I will be emailing each of them advertisements.) And, when I got home I had lots of emails from several couples wanting me to do their weddings. I way exceeded my goals, and was pretty happy with the turnout.

My strategy:
    The drawing for the chance to win 25% off a wedding package got them into the booth but my invitations are what sold them. Nobody else is designing custom invitations with the engagement photos, and people were just going crazy over them. My theory is that if a couple does the engagement session with me, and have me do their invites, they would be stupid not to have me do their wedding. So my invites are priced affordable. At any one time I would have over 10 people crowding in my booth. I had my sis help me out with the talking and she is a born saleswoman.

And so, my booth:
    These are no great photos. I was quite pooped afterwords and just took a few snaps to appease those requesting.
    1.- I ended up using white seamless paper since I found out at the last minute that the pipe and drape every one else was going to have was plain black. I was hoping to stand out/ be different from everyone else so I used white. It worked OK, but I spent a good deal of time not enjoying the results. The wrinkles in the paper really showed more than I preferred. Should have used black.
    457186546_eYvxM-M.jpg

2. The table had lots of girlie easels holding up different products I offer...(have to admit I target the ladies)... stuff like invitations, coffee table books, save the date cards and other stuff. There are some little cards I make for each place setting at the reception that invite the guests to view the wedding photos online and give instructions and passwords for doing so. (People were very excited about those as well- and the cost to me is only 1/2 hour or so design time and about $20 for printing. The rewards are huge in practically free advertising!) And then of course my lovely Graphistudio album was available for drooling and coveting.
    457186106_7WhvW-M-1.jpg
    457186301_AqRsQ-M.jpg

3. Perhaps the best thing I did was the gimmick to get them over to the booth: the drawing for the chance to win the 25% off. My thoughts are this- I had over 120 couples IN MY BOOTH talking to me. Which is pretty amazing, even if they don't hire me they are aware of my business. I am not guaranteed that the person drawn will even hire me... AND I have contact info for all those people! It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
    457186725_WQCjX-M.jpg

457186917_dHRjW-M.jpg

What I learned:
    1. Having an assistant that has the right personality is a must. By the end of the time I could barely put 2 sentences together with any semblance of intelligence and I only spoke to half of the couples! I would have missed out on all those potential customers if I didn't have someone of her caliber helping out. She was really great at grabbing the "walkers by" and getting them into the booth. (Way better than me, in fact)

2. Slide show is not nearly as important as the albums. I could have used about 5 more sample albums and they would have been used the whole time. The albums I did have would go from hand to hand as soon as folks were finished with them. Whereas my slide show only generated minimal interest- and usually only from children who were bored out of their minds and were waiting for the next "cake sample". (Which happened to be the next booth and was also a good thing) My slide show ended up being on a large laptop monitor- and was just fine for the situation.

3. The couch was awesome especially at the end of the day. The guests are just as tired as we are- we could get them to stay in the booth looking at albums way longer when they were not on their feet. I wish I had brought more couches.

Anyway, It was fun and exhausting. I am now nervous about getting too many weddings out of the deal. I feel like we planted a great seed and are waiting for it to sprout and then we'll see how big of plant grows.

(No C & C necessary on the photos. I know they suck. But you get the idea of what it was like, right?)