Options

Canon 5D mkII and Nikon 14-24mm G lens

LighthoundLighthound Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 12, 2009 in Landscapes
Just took this image a few days ago with my new 5D mkII and Nikon 14-24mm adapted to the Canon mount. The ice was gone the following day. The 5D mkII and 14-24 combo was a real winner for the scapes of Yosemite, and I was very lucky to hit Yosemite with a fresh snowfall. I am from WI, and had this trip planned 2 months ago!

This is a quick field edit on my laptop, since I'm still on the road... More images from this trip may be found here: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=139368

8458433-lg.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I think this is a nice image. A couple of questions:

1. The warm relfection in the water raises the question of why the rock face is so white?

2. I gotta ask what led you to combine the Canon camera with the Nikon lens, even if I have a pretty good guess what the background story might be.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I think this is a nice image. A couple of questions:

1. The warm relfection in the water raises the question of why the rock face is so white?

> I edited this on my laptop. The reflection is about a stop and a half less than the rock face, so it will be darker and more saturated. When on a proper computer with calibrated screen, I would blend two separate images that were exposed for highlight and shadows.

2. I gotta ask what led you to combine the Canon camera with the Nikon lens, even if I have a pretty good guess what the background story might be.

> I had a 14mm Canon and didn't like it. I heard the 14-24mm was the best wide available (aside from the 21mm Distagon, which I already own). The Nikon is indeed a great lens.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Lighthound wrote:
    > I had a 14mm Canon and didn't like it. I heard the 14-24mm was the best wide available (aside from the 21mm Distagon, which I already own). The Nikon is indeed a great lens.

Great shot of the big ol El Cap!

I usually get a warmer colors in reflections as well. Something to do with the reflected light being more saturated than the direct - bright light. I also tried the Nikon 14-24 while in Moab this past Fall, but on the 1ds M3. The lens was sharp but what ever you do just dont point it straight into the sun. I will post a image I took here when I get back into my office. It was one of the most stunning images I ever took:cry light bounced off more elements than there are stars in the heavenseek7.gif

You were very lucky in Yosemite, and with some great equipment as wellwings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Great shot of the big ol El Cap!

I usually get a warmer colors in reflections as well. Something to do with the reflected light being more saturated than the direct - bright light. I also tried the Nikon 14-24 while in Moab this past Fall, but on the 1ds M3. The lens was sharp but what ever you do just dont point it straight into the sun. I will post a image I took here when I get back into my office. It was one of the most stunning images I ever took:cry light bounced off more elements than there are stars in the heavenseek7.gif

You were very lucky in Yosemite, and with some great equipment as wellwings.gif
    Thanks for your comments, Marc. I need to work on my PS skills- I have about 4 exposures of the same seen at one stop apart, and the ETTR image has El Cap just as saturated as the water. When I learn how to properly blend these images, the reflection and El Cap will match a bit better. The image I posted was about + 1 stop from ideal, and I did a quick field process on my laptop (Lenovo W500).

Yes, I was very lucky to hit Yosemite when I did. Bus drivers were commenting that they hadn't seen that much snow for years...

Best,

Chris VenHaus
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    eek7.gif

Where does one get an adapter?! :D Looks like I wanna get the 14-24 too!

Very nice! I love your El Cap!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Nice capture. I love Yosemite in the winter!

One thing about this image that's driving me nuts is the blue snow. While better than yellow snow :D , for me, it just takes away from the image.

I tweaked it a little, and couldn't seem to get rid of the blue snow without herculean efforts, but when I converted it to B&W.....wow...try it!

Sam
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very nice capture indeed. I have had the 14-24 Nikor for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it on my D700

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Nice capture. I love Yosemite in the winter!

One thing about this image that's driving me nuts is the blue snow. While better than yellow snow :D , for me, it just takes away from the image.

I tweaked it a little, and couldn't seem to get rid of the blue snow without herculean efforts, but when I converted it to B&W.....wow...try it!

Sam

Hmm. I actually was drawn to the juxtaposition of the cool snow qith the warm reflections. Different strokes, as they say :D

Here's one that converted well to B&W:

8455878-lg.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Lighthound wrote:
    Same here. Though the wait for the adapter was a long one.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Same here. Though the wait for the adapter was a long one.

I want to add the Nikkor 16mm fish to my Canon kit. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I really like the comp and the colors, the rock face may be just a little too white (not your fault). 14mm on a full frame - that's just not fair man!

The later B&W image is awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I want to add the Nikkor 16mm fish to my Canon kit. deal.gif

Daddy really likes his adapter...
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I like the b&w a lot. It's weird seeing El Cap squished down like that though (none of my lenses can go that wide).
  • Options
    joecmlinjoecmlin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2009
    I too would love to do the same adaptation, need help.
    I have a 5D and just got hold of a nikon 14-24mm. Love to do the same adaptation but I heard that the type and brand of the adaptor matters. Please HELP!!! Tell me what brand you use, where did you purchase it and how do you use it. any frustration adjusting the A/M mode? Thanks.
    Great picture and great angle as I have heard and now seen in real shots. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    joecmlin wrote:
    I have a 5D and just got hold of a nikon 14-24mm. Love to do the same adaptation but I heard that the type and brand of the adaptor matters. Please HELP!!! Tell me what brand you use, where did you purchase it and how do you use it. any frustration adjusting the A/M mode? Thanks.
    Great picture and great angle as I have heard and now seen in real shots. Thanks for sharing.
    This is the one I have.