Options

Namaskar - A 3 week journey in India

DecisiveMomentDecisiveMoment Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2009 in Journeys
Hi fellow world trotters,

Stumbled upon this forum while updating my gallery at Smugmug. It's always delightful to see others travel photos to whet my insatiable wanderlust.

Recently came back from a 3-week trip in India. A fascinating country with such a rich cultural history, religious overtone and colorful people (both figuratively and literally). Throughout the journey, I was in nirvana (photographically speaking).

The incessant honking on the road, chaotic traffic, air pollution and not to mention the overwhelming crowds did wear on me towards the end. But all in all a memorable experience that I will cherish for a long time to come.

435838988_gPtNz-L.jpg

Namaskar. A very courteous doorman greeted me at the hotel I stayed in Orcha.

439045202_KCqfi-L.jpg

Not only does Agra have Taj Mahal, its Agra Fort is also a must see. This lady was 'guarding' the entrance of a temple within the Fort.

439047962_KgbhC-L.jpg

Well, not so much guarding the entrance but she looked after tourists' shoes while they were busy checking out the artifacts.

439208713_rktGy-L.jpg

It would not be an India travelogue without a picture of Taj Mahal. I found this the most challenging photo to take because it is such an iconic structure that most of its photos become kind of cliche.

Well, I will let you decide whether this is just another banal image of Taj Mahal.

439448709_u7F6N-L.jpg

435153900_vJ5Jk-L.jpg

1.13 billion of people are living on this sub-continent and you'll find fellow human beings literally everywhere.

These locals are lining up to see the Taj Mahal.

435881666_qevbw-L.jpg

439499586_dB7i9-L.jpg

439182867_QcX9S-L.jpg

Colorful and glittering saris are common sights in India. It's amazing how Indian women can walk and work so elegantly while under wrap.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gotta go back to work. There are many more photos to come, so stay tune.

Cheers

Jonathan

6773291_gN7De#435838988_gPtNz-A-LB

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Great photography ! Taj Mehal photo is amazing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Excellent series and I would love to visit the place one day! clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Namaste - The Bharat Journey Continues...
    New Delhi - the capital city of India since 1911. The city planning and design was the work of the eminent British architect, Edwin Lutyens. Take a stroll down the city center, there are ubitquitous remnants from the colonial era.

437986353_Tzvk9-L.jpg

Connaught Place is still the commercial hub of New Delhi to this day.

Most first time travelers to India would agree that riding through its traffic is a constant source of excitement and adrenalin rush. A conglomerate of automobiles, motorcycles, scooters, tuk tuk, bicycles, rickshaws and pedestrians all competing in a free-for-all mad dash. It is a scene of lawlessness, yet miraculously this organized chaos seems to sort itself out without too many hiccups.

439514411_k2d8L-L.jpg

These yellow and green auto rickshaws (aka tuk tuk) are ubiquitous in India and their drivers are notoriously anarchic. I highly recommend having a tuk tuk experience to give you a true taste of Indian traffic.

439513858_mNeh6-L.jpg

My tuk tuk driver non-chalantly posed for this photo shoot while instinctively dodging hazards on the road.

439447490_m7QxV-L.jpg

Want to kick it up a notch? Hire a rickshaw to take you around the old town. These rickshaw wallahs have my utmost respect.

439180817_GBsrP-L.jpg

A quick google search tells me that India is the second largest bicycle manufacturer in the world, next only to China.

Before we leave Delhi, a visit to the old town and take a trip down Chandni Chowk would no doubt captivate your senses. No photo can really do justice to the old bazaars. To experience the din, the smell and the infectious emotion of the hectic markets, you have to be there.

439467617_h8un7-L.jpg

439465870_R2Xhv-L.jpg

439466566_SGLX8-L.jpg

Garland and flower vendors in Old Delhi - buying garland for puja (prayer) is daily ritual for most Hindus.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Until next time. Stay tune for more images from this vibrant country.

Cheers

Jonathan
  • Options
    skamarajuskamaraju Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Lovely pictures
    Thanks for sharing. Please post more.
    Sushil
    "The knower of the Self crosses over all sorrow"
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Wow, those are some really nice shots.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Yes, more, more, please!

Lovely work!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    The God Delusion
    The use of Richard Dawkins' book title as the heading of this post was not meant to stir up any religious debate. Suffice it to say that being an atheist, I found the religious overtone in India on one hand fascinating (as a social phenomenon), but on the other hand depressing given that millions were killed throughout its history due to religious conflicts and intolerance.

Nowadays Hinduism accounts for 80% of the population of India, followed by Islam at about 13%. Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and Christianity represent the minorities.

439510719_HdK6s-L.jpg

In Varanasi, an Hindu guru strategically located at a main intersection. He earned his living by posing to the tourists. I was told by my local guide that his authenticity or credential (if there was such a thing) was debatable.

439470577_LbTSW-XL.jpg

439471527_XgsA8-L.jpg

439472753_kuaTC-L.jpg

This Hindu priest eagerly ushered me into his temple and willingly posed for me. If not for the 'rosary' on his neck, he could have easily passed off as some Bollywood star!

439506838_ksFXJ-X2.jpg

A Buddhist monk was completely absorbed in the scripture at a temple in Sarnath where Lord Buddha gave his first sermon.

439508885_nY5m9-L.jpg

A Sikh devotee on duty during a Sikh festival in New Delhi.

439454014_xhNG9-L.jpg

439455211_QBVny-L.jpg

439457003_rrJkh-L.jpg

Jainism followers... so are they called 'Jainites'?

439516092_HV8hS-L.jpg

The Ganga Ghats at Varanasi - innumerable pilgrims who flock to the river to take a bath in the holy Ganges, which is believed to absolve one from all sins. The water is choked full of E. Coli and heavy metals. So I guess it is the work of god that not many people got ill from drinking the water?!

437745574_j7YYn-L.jpg

A local boatman having his moment of epiphany along the holy Ganges.

437998035_rfBZa-XL.jpg

Holy Ganges at dawn.

439468987_GuqwQ-L.jpg

439466494_afg73-XL.jpg

439465900_nqQ6f-L.jpg

Nowadays Muslims only represents 13% of the Indian population but it is the largest minority religion. Islamic presence is still very much palpable in India.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next time we will look at some palatial and ceremonial architecture. Stay tune.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jonathan
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Wow,
    All these shots are very well composed and just about the right amount of colors in the color shots and great tones on the b/w's.
    Congrats.
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I see your photos very VERY good indeed! Im green of jealousy rolleyes1.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Jonathan,

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful shots. I love the photo of the boatman on the Ganges - really really beautiful!

Can't wait to see more.
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thanks
    My fellow grinners,

Thank you so much for your compliments. I really appreciate it.

Sharing my photos here gives me the momentum to grow photographically. There is still so much to learn and experiment!

Wish you all have a productive year.

Jonathan
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Slumdog Millionaire
    In case you haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/), it's one of my recent favorites. The movie really highlights the country's religious conflicts, social injustices and gut-wrenching poverty but without any preaching. At the end, there is still a glimmer of hope...

Despite India's soaring GDP and phenomenal growth rate, according to the latest World Bank estimates on poverty, 256 million Indians, or 41.6% of the country's population, survive below the updated international poverty line of $1.25 per day.

However, for the financially (usually politically as well) privileged few, exorbitant living was / is the norm.

437911031_JBCyM-L.jpg

Chand Baori is one of the deepest and largest step wells in India. It was built in the 9th century. With 3500 narrow steps and 13 stories leading down to 100 feet. It was used by royal family as respite from the summer heat and for ritual baths before worshiping.

437892893_dUeXS-L.jpg

437904402_aTbCL-L.jpg

Lavish city palace and lake palace complex in Udaipur. One of the James Bond movies, Octopussy, was shot at the palace. It was Roger Moore in case you are wondering.

439413151_Vuckz-L.jpg

Extravagant decor - city palace, Udaipur

439440317_qgUC9-L.jpg

Gold plated roof top - Amber Fort

439205993_FRxpF-L.jpg

Amber Fort interior

439482405_Etog5-XL.jpg

Catholic nuns and palace - Orchha

438707083_UDfCS-XL.jpg

437977039_A9oA2-XL.jpg

Taj Mahal was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. In addition to the famed white domed marble mausoleum, other neighboring structures are equally impressive. The entire complex took over 20 years to finish.

439439193_8yDkW-L.jpg

439196986_uFkNB-L.jpg

435032602_zxocC-L.jpg

437936548_SZqZZ-XL.jpg

Humayun tomb - Delhi. The resting place of the Mughal Emperor Humayan.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This concludes my second last post of the India series. Thanks for your attention so far.

Cheers

Jonathan
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    :jawdrop Fantastic! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    Phir Milenge - 3-week India Trip Finale
    Hi,

Here is the final installment of my India portfolio. All I can say is that it was an exhilarating trip! Truly eye-opening experience.

439421063_w4KNQ-L.jpg
    Mother and Sons (1) - Sikri Fatehpur, India

439234130_ANCiR-L.jpg
    Mother and Son (2) - Delhi, India

439424720_h2wmZ-L.jpg
    Modernity - Agra Fort, Delhi, India

439229955_eAdkm-L.jpg
    Mustache - City Palace Museum, Udaipur, India

439449847_wcJJ4-L.jpg
    Enlightenment - Jain Temple, India

439148209_WSXRi-L.jpg
    Antiquity (1) - Udaipur, India

439485753_ywLhr-L.jpg
    Antiquity (2) - Orchha, India

439415953_hQcLC-XL.jpg
    Hindi Lock - Orchha, India

438684551_VjH5y-L.jpg
    Worker in Sari (1) - Fort Amber, India

439220388_yVUnR-L.jpg
    Workers in Sari (2) - Fort Amber, India

437943762_EYVXt-XL.jpg
    Worker in Sari (3) - Fort Amber, India

437745557_DfjfL-L.jpg
    Workers in Sari (4) - Fort Amber, India

439434141_QdCFJ-L.jpg
    Gossip - Sikri Fatehpur, India

439473781_Vm2Jb-L.jpg
    Antique Post Office - City Palace Museum, Udaipur

439480267_m3hBH-XL.jpg
    City Palace - Orchha, India

439483616_HzRNX-XL.jpg
    En-Route - Delhi to Varanasi Train, India

439484395_sekDp-L.jpg
    Awe - Varanasi, India

439487540_EAEC2-L.jpg
    Street Vendor - Mumbai, India

439490935_AgV7E-L.jpg
    Taxi - Mumbai, India

439498540_fiNTH-L.jpg
    Post 26-11 - Mumbai, India

439500873_u6t7h-L.jpg
    Three Men - Orchha, India

439509667_rPujJ-L.jpg
    Three Children - Orchha, India

439507724_v8nHa-XL.jpg
    Ray - Agra Fort, Agra, India

437931112_3P42c-L.jpg
    Room 22 - Udaipur, India

439511735_KRovZ-L.jpg
    Boatmen - Varanasi, India

439512421_Pi5TL-L.jpg
    Wedding Procession - orchha, India

439515249_6nYH5-L.jpg
    Sisters - Agra, India

435047259_LCQHc-L.jpg
    Barbed Window - Mumbai, India

439518693_F93GN-L.jpg
    New Delhi, India

437012131_j4St4-L.jpg
    Remnants - Delhi, India

435097220_ymMLD-L.jpg
    Dhobi - Mumbai, India

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you all for viewing. For my other portfolios from my other trips, check out my smugmug site (http://decisive-moment.smugmug.com)

Comments/critiques are much needed.

Cheers

Jonathan
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 11, 2009
    Easily the most extensive view of the sub continent. Gorgeously told.

Thank you for your work.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Absolutely stunning photos! As someone already said you've balanced colour and BW perfectly bowdown.gif

What I'd love to know is how you go everyone to pose so nicely for you? Did you have to pay them? or were you using a long zoom lens?

Thanks for sharing the trip! thumb.gif
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    spitchless
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Wow, these are really great! Thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I'm in nirvana just looking at the quality of your work, let alone the subject matter! You are an asset to the Journey forum and I hope you will be posting more of your journeys. This post is what the journey forum is all about! Welcome! clap.gif (And I do love your Taj Mahal shot!)
  • Options
    guptamusafirguptamusafir Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2009
    Namakar
    Fantastic. I grew up in Varanasi, and visited many of the cities in your photographs every year. You have captured India and its vitalityclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Thanks
    Hi,

It's really encouraging to hear all the positive feedback. It really helps to keep me motivated.

Most of the portraits are candid shots and for those where the subjects were posing, I simply smiled and asked politely. By and large, Indians are very friendly and don't mind being photographed. Having said that, I did encounter some subjects asked for money after shots were taken. I would normally give an appropriate amount.

I know there are some photographers who are not willing to pay under these circumstances. It's a philosophical debate. Personally, I don't see any problem.

For those candid shots, my trick was to pretend I was shooting something else by pointing the lens in other direction. Then quickly redirect the camera and snatch a shot. This worked well for me. The subjects would act natural without being too self conscious.

Once again, thanks for the compliments. And I have looked at your galleries (too many to specify individual name), most are of high quality!

Best regards and happy shooting.

Cheers

Jonathan
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Incredible work!
    I am so impressed by the quality of your photographs-- they are all breathtaking, and what impresses me also is your ability to understand the things that you are seeing, despite the cultural differences. informative, intersting, ispirational! :D Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    absoluticabsolutic Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Those are fantastic images. Since I cannot read EXIF and your smugmug site blocks EXIF reading, would you care to tell which camera body (bodies) and lenses you used on your India trip? Thank you.
    David
    Nikon:
    D700/ 50mm 1.8G/ 85mm 1.4D /28-105D
    D90/ 18-200VR /35mm 1.8G /Tokina 11-16 F/2.8
    Canon:
    T2i kit/ 17-55 F2.8 /17-85
  • Options
    AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Stunning! Boatman on the river is my favorite thumb.gif
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Outstanding photographs. Thank you for sharing them with us. thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    Mr_Beach_BumMr_Beach_Bum Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Someday I hope to posses this level of skill - what a fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Published?
    Ditto on wow. If I were you, I would be looking for publishers to take my work to the next level. I was an avid reader of National Geographic. If I were to open one of their magazines on India and you were featured, I would not be disappointed.

You haven't told us much about yourself...maybe you are already published, if not, I wouldn't know why.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed this serie, thanks for sharing it with us. Makes me want to go out and shoot again! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Ditto on wow. If I were you, I would be looking for publishers to take my work to the next level. I was an avid reader of National Geographic. If I were to open one of their magazines on India and you were featured, I would not be disappointed.

I have to agree. Looking through the photos my thought was "There is a book in here." So very well done.

Spectacular! thumb.gif