Options

Problem with using "Moving" PhotoTools

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited December 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have a number of photos to be moved to different galleries using PhotoTools.

Problem: If different categories/subcategores have same name galleries (i.e. "Gallery 1"), the Move To dropdown list shows multiple "Gallery 1" galleries. But there is no indication which category/subcategory each belongs to...no way of knowing which to select.

What is the "fix" to this? Should all galleries have unique names? Even if this is the case, the problem still remains about associating galleries names on the dropdown list with categories/subcategories.

Will appreciate your responses on dealing with this. Thanks.
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    agallia wrote:

Problem: If different categories/subcategores have same name galleries (i.e. "Gallery 1"), the Move To dropdown list shows multiple "Gallery 1" galleries. But there is no indication which category/subcategory each belongs to...no way of knowing which to select.

What is the "fix" to this? Should all galleries have unique names? Even if this is the case, the problem still remains about associating galleries names on the dropdown list with categories/subcategories.

Sorry, I've been down the same road before :(
    I would suggest using unique names for your galleries to keep any confusion to a minimum. Maybe not a bad idea to make a feature request to list the category along side of the gallery name..
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Sorry, I've been down the same road before :(
    I would suggest using unique names for your galleries to keep any confusion to a minimum. Maybe not a bad idea to make a feature request to list the category along side of the gallery name..
    Thanks, Rich. That is what I thought ne_nau.gif ...but still a major problem because of the difficulty in associating even a unique gallery name with one of many categories/subcategories. It would be so much better if the dropdown list included 3 columns, gallery/cat/sub-cat.

I will input as a feature request shortly.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    agallia wrote:

I've been complaining about this problem with the gallery picker for years. There is no easy solution to this problem. If you can make it so that every single gallery has a unique name, then obviously that's one way around the problem.

I want to name my galleries for best presentation, not to work around a shortcoming in Smugmug admin UI so I have this problem all the time. In my case I have a structure Sports > Barracudas 2008 > Sara where Sara is a player name. When a different team has a player with the same name (like all the teams my son and daughter are on), I end up with gallery names that are not unique.

So, the only temporary work-around is to temporarily rename the gallery (put an x in front of it), do your admin operation with the now-unique name and then rename it back when you're done. Not pretty and it shouldn't be required, but I know of no other way around it.

I also now have almost 500 galleries so any flat list (even one that lists categories/sub-categories) is a poor UI. Since Smugmug certainly knows how to do a good hierarchical UI for picking a gallery (they do it in the Add Photos picker now), I wish they would just switch to this UI for admin functions.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I've been complaining about this problem with the gallery picker for years.

Lee's got new magic built in with the new lab release coming soon :D Once it's live, then we can maybe do some cool new stuff with Gallery lists. Stay tuned! clap.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    agallia wrote:

I usually go to the move-to gallery first and add an x in front of the
    gallery name. Then when moving just hit the x key and the list jumps to
    the gallery. After moving remove the x.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Thanks for replies. Glad Andy indicates something is in the "works" for future. Temp "x" fix is good idea...just have to remember to remove it later. Happy Holidays!
    Acadiana Al