Options

*ENTRY* THREAD: DSS Round #15 (Family or Strangers)

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #15

Welcome to Round #15 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, December 15, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, December 29, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation:

Family or Strangers
How do you portray relationships in an image? Please don't show us a standard studio family portrait with everyone wearing denim! This is a perect opportunity for candid work, street photography and informal portraits. Body language, facial expressions and environments can be keys to unlocking the story of relationships. Or perhaps none of this appeals to you, and you will search for alternative definitions...
Your Judges:
#1 Divamum
#2 AaronNelson

IMPORTANT NOTE: We're going to try something new this time around - you'll be submitting your entry directly into a Smugmug gallery! It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Since this is the first go around, let's all relax and see how it goes, ok? Just so you know, the login we're giving you is "assistant" level, which means you can't really mess anything up too badly - read: you can't delete anything. There may be a few snags here and there, but our chief challenge-mechanic, DoctorIt, is going to work them out. Please PM him and only expect a reply on urgent issues. No more size, and hopefully no more exif issues! This thread, for the most part, is only here to give you this info. For this first go at gallery submission, we can try to address any common issues here.

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    We're live, folks! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    This is will be pretty cool. One place where you can just view the pictures. I'm all for it!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Great idea! I like it a lot.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Wooohoo! I think I suggested something along these lines after the first "gallery" round, and I"m SO glad you found a way to implement it - I'm sure it will save Emily HOURS of uploading work (and with rounds this large, it's no small task!) thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

ETA: question (sorry if this is a st00pid Q, but it wasn't 100% clear to me from the instructions and I figure if I don't ask it somebody else may...): will we ONLY submit to the gallery, and no longer link them to the thread? Could/should we link them into the submission thread from the link location in the gallery to keep the thread alive, or is that overkill? headscratch.gif

As always, not trying to stir things up, just clarifying (and brainstorming)!
  • Options
    sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I have noticed that some people change their entries as the competition comes to a close and they get better shots. Will people still be able to do that or will they have multiple entries in the gallery?
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:
    I have noticed that some people change their entries as the competition comes to a close and they get better shots. Will people still be able to do that or will they have multiple entries in the gallery?

from the rules: If necessary, you can also change that submission at anytime during the challenge period, by uploading a second photo and notifying the moderator immediately via PM. In the case that there are multiple entries by the same dgrinner at the time of challenge closing, the most recently uploaded will count as the entry. The order of entries in the challenge gallery has no bearing on the selection of the finalists. Instructions for uploading will be included in thread announcing and detailing each DSS round.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Folks, thanks for the comments. As for the questions, I've answered all of them already. Please read the first post in this thread.

thanks,
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Here's another "practical" question: if one uses multiple images (ie composite), is it just a case of uploading ALL images used to the gallery and exifs will be stripped and viewed accordingly, or will other action need to be taken? And how will those images be "kept together" as it were?

FIgure we may as well throw out these Q's now as the whole system's getting set up and can be tweaked (and you can get us all trained up and toeing the line in the shortest possible time :D)
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    ETA: question (sorry if this is a st00pid Q, but it wasn't 100% clear to me from the instructions and I figure if I don't ask it somebody else may...): will we ONLY submit to the gallery, and no longer link them to the thread?
    Don't read into it. Upload to gallery, done, drink a coffee, go shoot some more.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Here's another "practical" question: if one uses multiple images (ie composite), is it just a case of uploading ALL images used to the gallery and exifs will be stripped and viewed accordingly, or will other action need to be taken? And how will those images be "kept together" as it were?

FIgure we may as well throw out these Q's now as the whole system's getting set up and can be tweaked (and you can get us all trained up and toeing the line in the shortest possible time :D)
    Again, stop reading into it. One image entry per person. If you submit all your composites, I'll promptly delete all but the last one.

Use the thinking cap for photographing your entry, not the mechanics of entering thumb.gif

And by the way, we're not "tweaking", "preparing", or "toeing". This is the entry thread, and this is live.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Don't read into it. Upload to gallery, done, drink a coffee, go shoot some more.

What, make it easy? Don't be silly. It wouldn't be teh internetz if SOMEBODY didn't overthink it :D:D:D

(kidding aside, since I'm still fairly new to this AND it's the first "new system" round AND I'm the first judge to "fly solo" without greensquared, I figure I better get my facts straight!!!!! nod.gif)

ETA: We keep posting at the same time. Doc, given that there have been so many confusions about this in the past, I'm not sure my questions are unwarranted (and I suspect if I don't ask them, somebody else will in two weeks. Now all you have to do is link them back to this thread and that'll shut 'em up right fast!! )
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    (kidding aside, since I'm still fairly new to this AND it's the first "new system" round AND I'm the first judge to "fly solo" without greensquared, I figure I better get my facts straight!!!!! nod.gif)
    Judging has nothing to do with entering. ne_nau.gif

And now that I remember you're judging, go fly a kite for two weeks! blbl.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    What, make it easy? Don't be silly. It wouldn't be teh internetz if SOMEBODY didn't overthink it :D:D:D

ETA: We keep posting at the same time. Doc, given that there have been so many confusions about this in the past, I'm not sure my questions are unwarranted (and I suspect if I don't ask them, somebody else will in two weeks. Now all you have to do is link them back to this thread and that'll shut 'em up right fast!! )

Not too difficult. AaronNelson is your co-judge, I'll be around to help with whatever, plus I've now posted judging instructions. No worries! :D
    Emily

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Judging has nothing to do with entering. ne_nau.gif

And now that I remember you're judging, go fly a kite for two weeks! blbl.gif

rolleyes1.gif:D

Shunned.... spurned.... left out..... Sigh. The price of fame is tough. :giggle

(and yes, for anybody who may think that the resident n00b has gone mad and got a swelled head, I am most emphatically just kidding!!! And since the images will be going to a gallery, I'm not misbehaving by reading this thread. So there naughty.gif:D)
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Not too difficult. AaronNelson is your co-judge, I'll be around to help with whatever, plus I've now posted judging instructions. No worries! :D

Thanks Emily and Aaron - glad to have somebody experienced at this to ride with!!!

Ok, now I really will (try to) shut up and sit on my hands for 2 weeks. This is gonna KILL me! :giggle
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif:D

Shunned.... spurned.... left out..... Sigh. The price of fame is tough. :giggle

Oh just wait... fame quickly turns to infamy! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    This is gonna KILL me! :giggle

15524779-Ti.gif

We'll need to find a support group for you. :poke
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    I think this is a wonderful idea and concept. My only question is...will the "buy" button in that album be made to disappear??? Like in the other competition albums?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I think this is a wonderful idea and concept. My only question is...will the "buy" button in that album be made to disappear??? Like in the other competition albums?ne_nau.gif
    Fixed. Right-click protect is on as well. X2 will be the largest size available. Your precious contest photos are safe now.
    Erik

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Due to the fact that my only knowledge of the dgrin challenges is #14, the one we just did, that one stated the fact that it was SOOC and no pp allowed. I'm assuming that since this challenge didn't specify that there was no pp allowed, that it is allowable. Is my assumption correct?

That's my only question. I think I pretty much got everything else understood.
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Due to the fact that my only knowledge of the dgrin challenges is #14, the one we just did, that one stated the fact that it was SOOC and no pp allowed. I'm assuming that since this challenge didn't specify that there was no pp allowed, that it is allowable. Is my assumption correct?

Your assumption is correct..The last challenge was SOOC, this challenge is entirely different. BUT remember that you still have to have the EXIF and if you do composite work, the photos must also be fresh (if I remember correctly). They will not ask you for all the EXIF of the composite, unless the judges feel the need to validate when the photos were taken, but your main photo must have the EXIF.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008

Yep. You can PP images. This challenge was an exception in that all participants were required to shoot SOOC. For other challenges it's really up to the photographer if they want to enter a SOOC or a PP'd photo.

Check out the past Challenges galleries to see what's been done. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Got it thanks. Yeah I know the photo has to be taken within the range of this challenge, just wasn't sure on the specifics of the photo. But I'm all set. Not off to think of an idea... Hmmm...
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Fixed. Right-click protect is on as well. X2 will be the largest size available. Your precious contest photos are safe now.

Thank you so kindly sir!:D
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    sweet

awesome images! thanks for the link.

more inspiration: google (image search) a photographer named larry fink. one of my faves for cool relationship images.

cheers,
    mark;)
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Due to the fact that this thread turned into more of a discussion, are we going to get a new thread that's the actually *ENTRY* thread for just photos?
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Due to the fact that this thread turned into more of a discussion, are we going to get a new thread that's the actually *ENTRY* thread for just photos?

Go back and read the first post in this thread, please. We are now using a gallery for entries. This thread is for discussion. thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I used to subscribe to the entry thready just to be me reminded to shoot my picture already ... how can I get notified when someone adds an entry to the gallery? :cry
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
This discussion has been closed.