Options

sting and joss stone in concert

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 14, 2011 in People
hey everyone,

last night my dw did something pretty cool, she took me to the sting "broken music" concert in new york :huh i'm lucky because i have to say that for the past few days, it's been "sting central" at our house, nancy's had four of her fellow sting fans visiting the house. have i mentioned that like 90% of sting concert goers are hot women?? :lust :lust :lol3

anyhow, i thought i'd share some of the pics from last night. first of all, after seriously shooting at three concerts, my best advice is to set your expectations low, and shoot a ton of shots :lol3 it's *really hard* to get good results!

i shot exclusively with a canon 20d, canon 85 f/1.8 aboard. this was a perfect focal length, as i was in the 4th row center :thumb thanks to experienced concert shooter waxy for his pre-concert advice in terms of my lens selection. oh yeah, shay was the recepient of a late night phone call the other night, too for some last minute sanity checking. i kept my iso as low as i could, but with the 20d was free to shoot all the way up to 1600 without any concerns whatsover. some of the best shots i got were in fact at iso 1600 :D and the 85 f/1.8 is sure one of canon's sharpest lenses, and you can't beat the price/performance ratio!

i think the key for successful concert shot exposures is to shoot in raw so that you can correct any wacky white balance issues in post, and to shoot with *alot* of negative exposure compensation. i used between -2/3s and -1 2/3s exposure compensation the whole night. oh, another thing - shoot bursts of at least three shots always! the second and/or third shot will be the sharpest.

the night started with the throaty british sensation joss stone - who, at 18 years old, sings with the feeling and conviction of janis joplin in her heyday - truly a magnificent performer, and very easy on the eyes. in fact, my 18 year old son absolutely *begged* me for my ticket tonight :lol3

in post: adobe camera raw, minor *very* minor exposure adjustments (no multiple exposures needed; occasional wb adjustments due to wacky concert lighting; convert to photoshop; crop to taste, light light light usm (75, .4, 0).

(click on the piccies for the exiffies)

22029734-L.jpg

22029735-L.jpg

and then, of course, the main event

as i said, the 85 f/1.8 sure is a sharp lens, and gathers a *ton* of light
22029725-L.jpg

slow your shutter down and you can get some cool effects.
22029726-L.jpg

dominc miller, sting's guitarist
22029727-L.jpg

22029729-L.jpg

josh freese, the drummer with dominic and sting

22029858-L.jpg

22029958-L.jpg

there are a few more shots in this gallery

lots more to process for the *extremely demanding* sting hot momma fans :lol3 but i have the rest of the weekend. today, they are all going to see sting again :rolleyes in nyc's greenwich village, at a small private concert in a tiny club. they won tickets through the sting fanclub. here's how crazy they are: they are leaving now so that they can stand in line at 10am, becuase the concert is "general admission" in that the first folks there will get closest to the stage. the concert's not till 8pm tonight :crazy :lol3

enjoy (making your sting-obsessed wife deleriously happy) photography

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Well Andy
    How well did you do, well let's see............headscratch.gif
    If I tell you that I can hear & feel the music through your images.....will that work ??? thumb.gif :wow

Now I will wait for my hotmama photo fix iloveyou.gif :lol4
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Well Andy
    How well did you do, well let's see............headscratch.gif
    If I tell you that I can hear & feel the music through your images.....will that work ??? thumb.gif :wow

Now I will wait for my hotmama photo fix iloveyou.gif :lol4

thanks so much ben!

hehheh i wish i could supply a tape recording of the conversations in my house right now!

they're all running around my studio this morning, getting ready for sting again today - like a bunch of teenagers! "what to wear?" "is my makeup right?" "is this skirt too short?" (no lol3.gif)....
  • Options
    Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Andy, you have outdone your self!
    andy wrote:
    hey everyone,

last night my dw did something pretty cool, she took me to the sting "broken music" concert in new york eek7.gif i'm lucky because i have to say that for the past few days, it's been "sting central" at our house, nancy's had four of her fellow sting fans visiting the house. have i mentioned that like 90% of sting concert goers are hot women?? iloveyou.gifiloveyou.giflol3.gif
    (
    Boy, what a nice quality pictures. I really, really like this. OMG so I will need this 20D by the end. Yesterday I did a shoot in a very little church. All young solist singers, one of them my future ne_nau.gif daughter in law. I have some nice pics but still when I see this, woohoo. I actually was thinking - again - about it while shooting yesterday. Do I need a 20d? Hehe, i guess yes. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics, Andy.
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    I'm absolutely FLOORED by these shots Andy, just stunning... I think Sting and his band, no I KNOW they would LOVE these... Signed of course... nod.gif

So what's the view like, from cloud 9? mwink.gif

Heh, I like your story too. mwink.gif It's definately true what you say about his followers... iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Great shots, Andy, I especially like the first and the last. And thanks for again sharing your tremendous insight into technique. clap.gif

Amazing how you always nail the exposure! Shooting in bursts is great advice, makes a huge difference.

I take it no-one hassled you about the camera?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Caught the tail end of Sting
    on David Letterman's show and wondered if your wife was going to get another Sting fix.

Fantastic shots, looks like you had plenty of light, but I know you probably didn't. Your timing is just right on these poses and captures too! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    "is this skirt too short?" (no lol3.gif)....
    rolleyes1.gifD
    Great captures Andy.
    Like the story as wellthumb.gif
  • Options
    iluvhimiluvhim Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    I love those pictures they are so crisp in color, I also love the angle of some of them b/c it definitely makes you feel the action that is going on at the concert...:D
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 14, 2005
    Excellent work Andy ^5
    I just got done commenting on the 2 shots you posted over at DPR.....lol

How do you rate? I get great seats at concerts all the time and they never let me bring a camera in. Not even a super compact eek7.gif Is it because you and Nancy are personal friends of Sting? Or do they let anyone bring Dslrs into the show? Either way, you are one lucky dog.....lol I'm sure Nancy is thrilled with these too thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    I just got done commenting on the 2 shots you posted over at DPR.....lol

How do you rate? I get great seats at concerts all the time and they never let me bring a camera in. Not even a super compact eek7.gif Is it because you and Nancy are personal friends of Sting? Or do they let anyone bring Dslrs into the show? Either way, you are one lucky dog.....lol I'm sure Nancy is thrilled with these too thumb.gif

Steve

sting's got no problem with photos taken at concerts.. his website is full of them :D but the venues, they have really strict policies ... so...... my secret:

put the 20d body only at bottom of d.w.'s purse, underneath about a dozen tampax. put the 85mm lens in a pouch, down near a certain other pouch, and voila. no beefy security guard is going to touch or either area... when he sees a dozen tampax they say "come on right in ma'am" lol3.gif and he for sure isn't going to check me "down there." :nono :ymca

don't try this at home folks lol3.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    sting's got no problem with photos taken at concerts.. his website is full of them :D but the venues, they have really strict policies ... so...... my secret:

put the 20d body only at bottom of d.w.'s purse, underneath about a dozen tampax. put the 85mm lens in a pouch, down near a certain other pouch, and voila. no beefy security guard is going to touch or either area... when he sees a dozen tampax they say "come on right in ma'am" lol3.gif and he for sure isn't going to check me "down there." :nono :ymca

don't try this at home folks lol3.gif
    God Andy.. you walk in with that lens clunking around in your knickers???
    wonderful shots... I must get my canon lens out, I'm inspired...
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    here we don't call 'em "knickers" for guys lynnie
    lynnma wrote:
    God Andy.. you walk in with that lens clunking around in your knickers???
    wonderful shots... I must get my canon lens out, I'm inspired...

they're "tightie whities" lol3.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Great shots Andy. I saw Sting and Annie Lenox at Jones BEach last summer it was an incredible show and I am sure Joss Stone was just as gtood with him.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Wow!
    Great shooting Andy! You really nailed it!

I assume the music was great, too!
    Cheers, mate!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Boy, what a nice quality pictures. I really, really like this. OMG so I will need this 20D by the end. Yesterday I did a shoot in a very little church. All young solist singers, one of them my future ne_nau.gif daughter in law. I have some nice pics but still when I see this, woohoo. I actually was thinking - again - about it while shooting yesterday. Do I need a 20d? Hehe, i guess yes. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics, Andy.

thanks adrian :D when you do go for it, you won't regret it...
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    I'm absolutely FLOORED by these shots Andy, just stunning... I think Sting and his band, no I KNOW they would LOVE these... Signed of course... nod.gif

So what's the view like, from cloud 9? mwink.gif

Heh, I like your story too. mwink.gif It's definately true what you say about his followers... iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

AJ

the view's great, aj :D thanks so much. tonight: she's bringing home 3 more, so there'll be 6 in the house!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    I agree with the majority opinion, those are some fabulous shots, great job!
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    What else can I addne_nau.gif

... ooooooooohhhhhhh yyyyaaaaaaaaaaa.:):
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 14, 2005
    These are some nice concert shots. The DW and F must be happy with the
    results thumb.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Great shots Andy! You're not kidding about taking a ton of shots and getting few good shots. I had my first experience with my camera at a concert last week.

I love the one you shot of him in silhouette
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Andy!
    Congrats! Very impressive photos!
    Was it 'full zoom'?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2005
    Andy!
    Congrats! Very impressive photos!
    Was it 'full zoom'?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

hi yuri, no zoom. 85mm f/1.8 prime lens. that's it. :D

spasibo, and thanks

andy
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Boy! What an Opportunity That Was!
    andy wrote:
    hey everyone,

last night my dw did something pretty cool, she took me to the sting "broken music" concert in new york eek7.gif i'm lucky because i have to say that for the past few days, it's been "sting central" at our house, nancy's had four of her fellow sting fans visiting the house. have i mentioned that like 90% of sting concert goers are hot women?? iloveyou.gifiloveyou.giflol3.gif

How clear are those shots??? gawwwwwwwwd and under that kind of lighting too......incredible......and not only that but you got to have a wonderful night out too.......Gosh Andy those images are really cool.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Great stuff Andy. Very impressive. They are crisp and clear when you wanted them to be.

Ive never seen any concert shots better, including in bands' own PR material.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    andy wrote:
    hey everyone,

How clear are those shots??? gawwwwwwwwd and under that kind of lighting too......incredible......and not only that but you got to have a wonderful night out too.......Gosh Andy those images are really cool.

Skippy (Australia)

thanks so much skippy!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Hey Andy,

Fantastic shots. I can see the 3rd and 7th shots on album covers (if they make albums anymore). Really some of best stuff to date.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    put the 85mm lens in a pouch, down near a certain other pouch, and voila.
    i used to be tempted to buy equipment from you. . .uhoh2.gif
    yelrotflmao.gif

anyway, cool shots, but i had a couple questions. were you taking pictures the whole time or were you just enjoying the show most of the time? you posted 15 pictures, is that because you didn't take too many or because you weren't satisfied with that many? just wondering, thanks!

also, if for some crazy reason you ever want to shoot some new york area bands and shows, i'm your guy.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i used to be tempted to buy equipment from you. . .uhoh2.gif
    yelrotflmao.gif

anyway, cool shots, but i had a couple questions. were you taking pictures the whole time or were you just enjoying the show most of the time? you posted 15 pictures, is that because you didn't take too many or because you weren't satisfied with that many? just wondering, thanks!

also, if for some crazy reason you ever want to shoot some new york area bands and shows, i'm your guy.

i shot plenty.... but since i was immobile in my assigned seat area there's not a lot of variety :D i think i have about 25 shots that i gave the wife... out of maybe 125 or 150..

cheers thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    on David Letterman's show and wondered if your wife was going to get another Sting fix.

Fantastic shots, looks like you had plenty of light, but I know you probably didn't. Your timing is just right on these poses and captures too! clap.gifclap.gif

hiya dee :D the light is plentiful... you have to be lucky to catch the light right... shooting 3-4 shots at a time really helps. thanks so much for the feedback i really appreciate it!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    I heard that at his last show in NYC (Saturday) a woman screamed out that she wanted to sing with Sting. He then invited her up on the stage, handed her a microphone, and they sang together. How cool is that?

When I heard this, I immediately thought that it must have been Andy's wife. Was it?

mitch