Options

Composition - Simplify!

baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited December 15, 2008 in Technique
While reading this please keep in mind I'm a total amateur and looking for guidance. One of the things I've noticed with a lot of the photos I really like is how simple they are. They have little or no background elements. Even shots outdoors. So I went on a little photo safari in my backyard to experiment. A shot like this is rubbish. It's a cluttered snapshot.

435715418_3XJoW-M.jpg

This is the same fallen tree. It's more interesting, and I think a better shot, but still too cluttered with background.

435715321_xutcF-M.jpg

This one is better but the background shadow of the tree is distracting and detracts from the shot.

435706897_jzTBr-M.jpg

The plain background in this shot makes the shot work better than if there had been a lot of the normal house/cage/pearch junk normally in these kinds of pictures.

435723390_sZMnD-M.jpg

What do you think?
geoff

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Good Parrot portrait, and I agree with your point. thumb.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Well said and demonstratecd. I'd say you've got it. :photo
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    These are basic concepts of composition. However, it's amazing how something so basic can make such a dramatic difference in taking better photos.

I learned these concepts in art classes I took in High School and College, but I didn't start applying them to my photography until I began using photography as an outlet for creativity. Before, all my shots really had that "snap shot" feel, well, because that's what they were. Now, I look at potential images as if I am "painting" the photo. I try to pay attention to what I want to be the focus of the image and then compose around it.

Basic... I know... but critical.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site