Options

1 Million Dollar Question

rednblaccrednblacc Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Cameras
Can anyone tell me why is it that when I look into my Nikon D50's viewfinder, center my subject and then take the shot. Afterwards I take a look at my LCD screen and guess what? The shot isn't even what I viewed through the viewfinder.

Example: I put my macbook on my bedroom floor. Stood above it and took the shot! Now in my viewfinder I saw my macbook dead center. After taking the shot as you all can see, it wasn't dead center anymore. Not only that when trying to focus on any subject. No matter which focus area I choose it cant seem to pick it up. So it's not focusing right and the view is off somehow. I had to put my Nikon lens cap where my apple sign is on my macbook just to show my camera that there is something to focus on in the center focus area.

Can someone Pleeeeeease tell me what can possibly be wrong with my camera? I know its old and discontinued but sheesh its still not a bad camera. Ya know?

Oh and one more thing. I dont have a million dollars to give anyone but I will give you all a million thank you's ahead of time. LOL!! so here it is THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES. hehehe.

Thanks Everyone.

-Sabirah
"Complaining only Lessens your enjoyment in Life"- Sabirah Numan 2008 :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Need a little more info. How far off is the centering? Have you tried different lenses? Do you have your camera set at center weight focusing?
    What about your auto focus setup?
    Is the area in focus or pulling in one direction or the other?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I'm no expert, but it sounds to me as if there is something misalligned with the mirror. I'd say take it in for service.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Well, first the simple fixes. Do you have your D50 set to the first zoom level? When you hit the review button hit the checkerboard or click the wheel until you see 9 images, then go in one notch. This should show the whole frame.

If you zoom in past that the camera retains it so on your next review you'll be looking zoomed in instead of the full frame.

Hope it's something simple!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Need a little more info. How far off is the centering? Have you tried different lenses? Do you have your camera set at center weight focusing?
    What about your auto focus setup?
    Is the area in focus or pulling in one direction or the other?

I am not really sure How far off the centering is, but here is the pic I took i hope it uploaded alright.
    Yes i tried both of my lenses. The 70-300mm and 28-80mm lense and yes the same problem with both lenses. I also have my camera set to center weight focusing yes.
    My auto focus setup is set at AF-C. Oh and the area in focus is just not focusing or just seems to continue trying to focus. It does that even if I have an object close enough for that lens.
    ne_nau.gif

Thanks Cygnus Studios

_sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    I'm no expert, but it sounds to me as if there is something misalligned with the mirror. I'd say take it in for service.

I have to say Shane422 my boyfriend suggested the same thing.

-Sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Set to AF-S and see if this helps. You may end up having a mirror issue and that requires a trip to a Nikon center.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Well, first the simple fixes. Do you have your D50 set to the first zoom level? When you hit the review button hit the checkerboard or click the wheel until you see 9 images, then go in one notch. This should show the whole frame.

If you zoom in past that the camera retains it so on your next review you'll be looking zoomed in instead of the full frame.

Hope it's something simple!

I was wondering i_worship_the_king?? How exactly do you set the first zoom level? Could you help me understand. I clicked the checkerboard after selecting the photo and I saw that while holding checker button down a red square showed up on the LCD. I was able to move it L,R and Up,down but it would not center the photo. Not even a full inch.

-Sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Set to AF-S and see if this helps. You may end up having a mirror issue and that requires a trip to a Nikon center.

WOW!! I appreciate such fast response thanks a bunch!!

I tried the AF-S setting but it didnt change anything. still the same. Guess that means trip to Nikon center for me huh? Maybe they will just upgrade me. Laughing.gif!! NOT!! huh? :D yeah i know. Not likely. lol

-Sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Does this happen all the time, or just when focusing on close objects? If you have the ability to take a picture of something about 10 feet away to compare with, that may help.

Try to move the focus point to the bottom left when focusing the camera.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Does this happen all the time, or just when focusing on close objects? If you have the ability to take a picture of something about 10 feet away to compare with, that may help.

Try to move the focus point to the bottom left when focusing the camera.

I can actually take the shot if im at more of a distance its just that even if im on a tripod it is not in focus. Its like the focus is WAAAY off. Like no matter what its blurry.ne_nau.gif
    I did try to focus at a distance thanks for the suggestion

-sabirah
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    rednblacc wrote:
    Can anyone tell me why is it that when I look into my Nikon D50's viewfinder, center my subject and then take the shot. Afterwards I take a look at my LCD screen and guess what? The shot isn't even what I viewed through the viewfinder.

Example: I put my macbook on my bedroom floor. Stood above it and took the shot! Now in my viewfinder I saw my macbook dead center. After taking the shot as you all can see, it wasn't dead center anymore. Not only that when trying to focus on any subject. No matter which focus area I choose it cant seem to pick it up. So it's not focusing right and the view is off somehow. I had to put my Nikon lens cap where my apple sign is on my macbook just to show my camera that there is something to focus on in the center focus area.

Can someone Pleeeeeease tell me what can possibly be wrong with my camera? I know its old and discontinued but sheesh its still not a bad camera. Ya know?

Oh and one more thing. I dont have a million dollars to give anyone but I will give you all a million thank you's ahead of time. Laughing.gif!! so here it is THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES. hehehe.

Thanks Everyone.

-Sabirah

For focusing, there could be two issues at play here. First, the auto-focus system can't focus very well on a plain surface with no visible contrast or visible texture. There just isn't enough information to discern when it's in focus or not in focus. So, the fact that you couldn't focus on a plain colored metal surface doesn't necessarily surprise me.

The second issue I wonder about is to you know how close your lens is supposed to focus? All lenses have a minimum focus distance. That can be as short as a few inches (for some macro lenses) to as long as a several feet. You can look up, on your lens manufacturer's site, what it's minimum focus distance is. If your subject is inside that distance, then the lens just can't focus that close.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I had to get out my D50 and look and take some shots. Mine centers fine. It sounds to me like a mirror problem too. If you take off the lens and look to see if the mirror is coming to rest on the pin ( on the right )if you are looking in the sensor area.
    Put your dial on M and rotate shutter speed to bulb, so you can hold the shutter button down and the mirror and shutter will be up and then let go to see if mirror comes to rest in the proper spot. If it is not coming all the way down or is going past the pin it could cause the problem that your photo shows. There is a small gap below mirror which is normal. I would take a picture of it but I have no way to upload it, I am on the road for work.
    I love my D50 I still shoot it quite a bit along with my D300. Good luck Just make sure you do stick anything in there that will touch the sensor or shutter.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Originally you didn't say it was coming out screwy after downloading to a PC (or at least I missed that somewhere.) My solution only centers it in-camera.

Hope it's not busted ne_nau.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    For focusing, there could be two issues at play here. First, the auto-focus system can't focus very well on a plain surface with no visible contrast or visible texture. There just isn't enough information to discern when it's in focus or not in focus. So, the fact that you couldn't focus on a plain colored metal surface doesn't necessarily surprise me.

The second issue I wonder about is to you know how close your lens is supposed to focus? All lenses have a minimum focus distance. That can be as short as a few inches (for some macro lenses) to as long as a several feet. You can look up, on your lens manufacturer's site, what it's minimum focus distance is. If your subject is inside that distance, then the lens just can't focus that close.

Well I greatly appreciate the info you have given me. I called this place in New Jersey called Comet and I told them my problems and they said it could be a number of things. Basically what all of you where telling me. SO A HUGE THANK YOU!!! I know Im prob gonna have to just send my camera off ya think? yup! lol

-Sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I had to get out my D50 and look and take some shots. Mine centers fine. It sounds to me like a mirror problem too. If you take off the lens and look to see if the mirror is coming to rest on the pin ( on the right )if you are looking in the sensor area.
    Put your dial on M and rotate shutter speed to bulb, so you can hold the shutter button down and the mirror and shutter will be up and then let go to see if mirror comes to rest in the proper spot. If it is not coming all the way down or is going past the pin it could cause the problem that your photo shows. There is a small gap below mirror which is normal. I would take a picture of it but I have no way to upload it, I am on the road for work.
    I love my D50 I still shoot it quite a bit along with my D300. Good luck Just make sure you do stick anything in there that will touch the sensor or shutter.

Yes It must be then. Like I told jfriend, I called this one place and they just told me to bring it in. I guess I shouldnt try and adjust the mirror myself. Laughing.gif!! NOPE not a good thing I know. So your on the road? Thats cool. Hope your taken lots of shots. I know you prob are. Thats cool that you have a D50, Im glad to know someone that has one. So its ok to ask ya questions right? Laughing.gif!! Thanks so much for helping me out. HAve a Great Trip!!!

-Sabirah
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Originally you didn't say it was coming out screwy after downloading to a PC (or at least I missed that somewhere.) My solution only centers it in-camera.

Hope it's not busted ne_nau.gif

I hope its not busted either. I need my camera. Its like one of my limbs.. :cry
    :D

Thanks for helping me out.

-Sabirah