Options

New York, New York

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Landscapes
I took a lot for granted growing up in the tri-state area. I never discovered so many of the things that make New York unique until long after I left.

Visiting family always comes with perks, if I have the time to escape.

To me, Dgrin is always linked with freezing fingers and tripods set on precarious perches. I was introduced to the joys of landscape photography through this community and its people and I never fail to enjoy the discomfort of harsh weather while trying to capture the essence of the land. Whether I am with 50 people or just one, it is always a thrill, battling my wimpiness to just forget about it and go home where it's warm, and sticking through thick and thin just to get the shot... then scrambling to the nearest pub for a libation and a thaw. (This time the latter won)

427848321_3mKd8-L.jpg

427848006_6ujmY-L.jpg

427862594_8EMVb-XL.jpg

Just three for now. The city is, as always, so overwhelming. Feedback always appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    W00p nice! I've been there!

:D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Awesome shots.. .the first one is great...

Cheers,
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    W00p nice! I've been there!

:D

It's a nice spot! I had to share :D
    Travis
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Schmoopie, #2, the bldgs are distorted -- you'll wanna fix that.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Schmoopie, #2, the bldgs are distorted -- you'll wanna fix that.

You mean the barrel distortion?

I think the buildings were cold and were huddling closer to the sun. They had no sweaters. lol3.gif

These were a quick process before I headed to bed. I'll take care of that when I sort through the rest of the set! thumb.gif
  • Options
    speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Very Very nicely done i love new york i have races there all the time.
  • Options
    hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wonderful pictures, I particularly like the 1st one. The blue in the sky and the reflection of the lights on the water make it quite lovely.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I really like that first shot, the composition, the stars and lines of the bridge, the long exposure on the water... (I use "..." because I don't know how to properly end a sentence).

I'm definitely with you on the stages of landscape photography, I generally divide it into 3-4 stages:

1) Get up early (too early - as Bobby Bare Jr. says "The sunrise ain't pretty when you ain't been to bed / Tomorrow is today instead"), find your spot in the cold and dark (and possibly drive a few hours to get there, and possibly get lost, confused, or disoriented, and wonder if it's your lack of direction or the 3 hours of sleep), and then, finally, wait for the magic to start. Once in awhile, it happens, and it makes all those other times when it didn't happen worth it.

2) Thaw (for me, this does not involve alcohol consumption, otherwise the other steps would never get a chance to complete).

3) Process the photos.

4) Sleep (optional)

Sometimes I combine #2 and #3 into the same step depending on how excited I am to see the photos, if I'm really excited, I'll skip #2 and go straight to #3 and then combine steps #2 and #4. Lately I've been doing a lot of #4 but not a lot of #1, I need to work on that.
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Beautiful New York. I love this city so much. clap.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Nice shots, schmoo! I like #1 also--the water is so smooth beneath the bridge that I first thought it was a parking lot, or a huge piece of glass! :D

One day, I will have to go to see more of NYC than the airports.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Love these photos, inlcuding the huddling buildings in #2. It makes me want to grab the Acela tomorrow and be there. Very, very nice.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    That's where I grew up, and your photos make me a bit nostalgic. Really nice shot and perspective under the bridge. clap.gif
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Nice twilight, like the first two the most. Probably b/c of the colors in the sky.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I really like that first shot, the composition, the stars and lines of the bridge, the long exposure on the water... (I use "..." because I don't know how to properly end a sentence).

I'm definitely with you on the stages of landscape photography, I generally divide it into 3-4 stages:

1) Get up early (too early - as Bobby Bare Jr. says "The sunrise ain't pretty when you ain't been to bed / Tomorrow is today instead"), find your spot in the cold and dark (and possibly drive a few hours to get there, and possibly get lost, confused, or disoriented, and wonder if it's your lack of direction or the 3 hours of sleep), and then, finally, wait for the magic to start. Once in awhile, it happens, and it makes all those other times when it didn't happen worth it.

2) Thaw (for me, this does not involve alcohol consumption, otherwise the other steps would never get a chance to complete).

3) Process the photos.

4) Sleep (optional)

Sometimes I combine #2 and #3 into the same step depending on how excited I am to see the photos, if I'm really excited, I'll skip #2 and go straight to #3 and then combine steps #2 and #4. Lately I've been doing a lot of #4 but not a lot of #1, I need to work on that.

Great post! you forgot #5 "Pray you dont get jumped for your gear while shooting at night while in NYC" I always get a little nervous at night there but the shots are worth it:D

Nice photos schmoo you got a great perspective on these! It reminds me I need to post some BB shots I took a couple months ago.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    Awesome set, Schmoo! Shot #1 is just off the charts! clap.gif That needs to be printed big and hung on the wall. nod.gif

Shot #2 rocks. Great job on the sun star. I would have been tempted to try an HDR on that scene too.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Love the first one.

It's been over 20 years since I lived in the area of New York City, and I never got to take photos like you did. I doubt I even have a decent one of the Statue of Liberty, last time I remember it, it was "caged" for cleaning! And the Empire State Building, how I'd love to be able to go up now that I have a digital camera. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with San Francisco, won't I? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    clap.gif Superb job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Beautiful work!! One of my favorite cities and favorite subjects!!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

I don't have much else of use to add but that. I can tell from your workflow that you are still much more motivated than I am!. Sunrises for me are very very hard unless I do have the 50 other Dgrinners to poke me to do it. Sunsets, on the other hand I'm usually already awake for. :D

Thanks so much for the comments, guys!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Nice work Schmoo. You treated my hometown very nicely.

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Geez Schmoo, I go away for a few weeks and I miss some of your most gorgeous work! Loving it! thumb.gif

Love that bridge shot much. What apature were you at? If I could guess, I'd say f16ish?
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    Geez Schmoo, I go away for a few weeks and I miss some of your most gorgeous work! Loving it! thumb.gif

Love that bridge shot much. What apature were you at? If I could guess, I'd say f16ish?

Thanks Bryan! I checked my EXIF and it looks like I was just using a plain ol' 24-105 for that shot at f/5.6. If I recall, the light was fading fast so I needed the speed since it was handheld. To get the shot you have to stand in the middle of a street and cars were coming by at regular intervals. Basically, it was a no-tripod zone lol3.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    No one has commented on the third image. eek7.gif

It's my favourite as it shows an unfamiliar (to me) view and provides a sense of scale. I like it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    ahhh...early morning shots are better than sunset (for the most part) because there is less traffic and people to get in the way. Although if you shooting for the crowds to be in the way....then sunsets rule!

I went on a Caribbean cruise for two weeks and was up every morning at 6am to take sunrise shots. Now the time differences means that I was up at 1am Alaska time (which is my time zone). So made for a long day...but it was well worth it!

I love your shots of the city in the morning Schmoo.thumb.gif
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Feedback always appreciated!

I took a very similar shot of the Manhattan Bridge this summer -- we were standing no more than 100 yards apart for our respective shots, I'd guess:

342197004_75mwW-L-2.jpg

You probably can't see it in this post, but the vertical cables on the bridge are all OOF -- that's because they're vibrating from the vehicular traffic -- a cool and unexpected effect!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Schmoo,

While I like all three, I must admit my favorite is #3. I tweaked a little, I hope you don't mind.

Sam