Options

arrange tool - pet peeve

2»

Comments

• Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Leave the sort to none under customize gallery. Use the arrange by "time and
    date taken" under the tools > many photos > arrange > sort menu. Then move photos
    around. This will not remove the "none" under customize gallery as this is a one time sort.

OK this worked, but I still had / have to go and click "drag to arrange" after I did the "time and date taken".

Why does this not seem right? It's feels like a work around for something that feels like a bug with the smugmug software???? It's frustrating!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2009
    Why does this not seem right? It's feels like a work around for something that feels like a bug with the smugmug software???? It's frustrating!

Yes, I did not say "BUG" but I did address earlier that this has been reported to the programmers. thumb.gif We will get it fixed. I just cannot say when. Sorry.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Get what fixed? This works perfect as it. If you want a different order than
    what auto does on your customize gallery page use the tools menu to first set
    any order you want and then manually arrange.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Get what fixed? This works perfect as it. If you want a different order than
    what auto does on your customize gallery page use the tools menu to first set
    any order you want and then manually arrange.

The process seems to fluctuate. Last week I set the Auto sort to "date taken", in the "customize" interface, and all worked well. Today, that did not work, and I had to use the method you described. Just seems weak to me.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Get what fixed?
    Fixed, improved, made betterer, clearer, easier thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Allen -

The original problem still occurs sometimes and is a known issue. Sometimes when you arrange galleries it doesn't stick when you click apply.

I have much better luck with it these days but it still does occur.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    bkatz wrote:
    Allen -

The original problem still occurs sometimes and is a known issue. Sometimes when you arrange galleries it doesn't stick when you click apply.

I have much better luck with it these days but it still does occur.

OK... same shit, different wedding! When will this arrange issue be fixed??? I just spent a 1/2 hr arranging the photos, and the arrange didn't stick. WTF!!!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    OK... same shit, different wedding! When will this arrange issue be fixed??? I just spent a 1/2 hr arranging the photos, and the arrange didn't stick. WTF!!!
    Is your gallery set for an auto sort. That's what bites me. I arrange everything into the order I want, then when I come back in to the gallery later, it's not in that order. When I look into it, I find it's because there's an auto-sort set in the customize gallery. Why, oh why Smugmug doesn't shut off auto-sort for you when you do manual arrange (or else give you a meaningful error message), I don't know (there is nothing else you could possibly want), but that happens to me all the time. Anyway, I have no idea if this is what's happening to you, but it's worth checking.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    Is your gallery set for an auto sort. That's what bites me. I arrange everything into the order I want, then when I come back in to the gallery later, it's not in that order. When I look into it, I find it's because there's an auto-sort set in the customize gallery. Why, oh why Smugmug doesn't shut off auto-sort for you when you do manual arrange (or else give you a meaningful error message), I don't know (there is nothing else you could possibly want), but that happens to me all the time. Anyway, I have no idea if this is what's happening to you, but it's worth checking.

You know what bites me? Is that this has been going on for a year!!! What is our money going towards? Beer in the smugmug lunch room? Surely after a year of bugs on the same issue, this would have been resolved by now.
  • Options
    You know what bites me? Is that this has been going on for a year!!! What is our money going towards? Beer in the smugmug lunch room? Surely after a year of bugs on the same issue, this would have been resolved by now.
    Have you filed a report in the bug reporting sub-forum? If you do that, it guarantees that the guy who handles bug reports from dgrin will at least make a conscious decision whether he has enough info to file a bug in their system.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Actually the bug guy is me and I have already responded here. No need to start a new thread. thumb.gif

I have not responded to each post as I did not feel it was needed. I will try to raise the priority some more.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    As posted a year ago, still not fixed...

The problem is if you want your gallery with newer pictures at the top, but still want some arranged differently, using sort in tools drop will rearrange all the pictures you have already arranged. Not good if you have hundreds of pictures in your gallery.

The obvious solution is to set "autosort off" and "descending" in the gallery customization. Then pictures already there should stay in their order because autosort is off but new pictures would go to the top where you could then shift their order as needed. But it doesn't work and the pictures get reversed and rearranged the next time you open the gallery. Very frustrating!

Because of this the only option is to set gallery customization to "autosort off" and "ascending". Then the old order isn't changed but the new pictures go to the bottom of the gallery as expected. The problem is that then you have to use the arrange tool every time you upload a picture, which takes a long time to open with hundreds of pictures in the gallery, and drag the new pictures to the top. Did I say this is very frustrating!

I have repeatedly pointed out this problem. Smugmug has admitted it's a problem and said they would fix it. But months and months have gone by and the problem is still there.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2009
    As posted a year ago, still not fixed...
    ...I have repeatedly pointed out this problem. Smugmug has admitted it's a problem and said they would fix it. But months and months have gone by and the problem is still there.

This thread was started Nov 23, 2008! Not sure about most people, but if my personal website had an issue like this, that reflected my business, I don't think I would have the same web person working on my site!
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    This thread was started Nov 23, 2008! Not sure about most people, but if my personal website had an issue like this, that reflected my business, I don't think I would have the same web person working on my site!

What's the status??? Will this be fixed soon? If not, how should I be numbering my files better so I can actually sort them?
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    The arrange system seems pretty broken to me.

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/Other/The-Barge-Topside/9955328_2TELa#680759303_fbjWj

That link takes you to a gallery of photos. All I want is for them to be in descending, chronological order. This should not be hard. All my photos have filenames to help me keep them organized on my harddrive. They go "(user and camera, eg Rob40D) DD_MM_YYYY_XXXX.jpg" where XXXX is the sequential number spat out by my camera.

Since this gallery was all shot the same date, the date shouldn't make a difference to the sort, so all I want is "Sort by filename" and "Descending order" which is what is input in the gallery settings.

I choose filename instead of date taken because occasionally I have multiple frames from a burst, in which case the "Date Taken" from the exif would be indistinguishable and things might get confused.

However, you will note, when looking at the gallery, that a sequence of images with someone jumping into the water, is badly out of order. It has decided that "Sort by filename" and "Descending order" = 8455, 8452, 8453, 8451, 8459, 8458, 8460, 8463, 8461, 8462.

Needless to say, when each image is a continuation of one fluid motion, it looks like crap when the sorting system gets confused and shuffles them like a deck of cards. It's frankly embarassing.

Having said that, the number ordering looks almost like bracketing, there is a method to the sort tool's madness.

FIX THIS FIX THIS FIX THIS

I love smugmug, I really do, but this is retarded. I'll leave the gallery like this for a little while, to give you a chance to use it to suss out whatever the problem is, but in a few days I need to change it, manually if need be.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/Other/The-Barge-Topside/9955328_2TELa#680759303_fbjWj

That link takes you to a gallery of photos. All I want is for them to be in descending, chronological order. This should not be hard. All my photos have filenames to help me keep them organized on my harddrive. They go "(user and camera, eg Rob40D) DD_MM_YYYY_XXXX.jpg" where XXXX is the sequential number spat out by my camera.

Since this gallery was all shot the same date, the date shouldn't make a difference to the sort, so all I want is "Sort by filename" and "Descending order" which is what is input in the gallery settings.

I choose filename instead of date taken because occasionally I have multiple frames from a burst, in which case the "Date Taken" from the exif would be indistinguishable and things might get confused.

However, you will note, when looking at the gallery, that a sequence of images with someone jumping into the water, is badly out of order. It has decided that "Sort by filename" and "Descending order" = 8455, 8452, 8453, 8451, 8459, 8458, 8460, 8463, 8461, 8462.

Needless to say, when each image is a continuation of one fluid motion, it looks like crap when the sorting system gets confused and shuffles them like a deck of cards. It's frankly embarassing.

Having said that, the number ordering looks almost like bracketing, there is a method to the sort tool's madness.

I love smugmug, I really do, but this is retarded. I'll leave the gallery like this for a little while, to give you a chance to use it to suss out whatever the problem is, but in a few days I need to change it, manually if need be.
    In the gallery you referenced, we can't see the filenames to see what might have gone wrong. Can you enable filenames in that gallery?

FYI, I sort by filename for the same reasons you do (multiple shots in a burst) and I have found it to work with the right gallery settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:

Try this
    under customize gallery set sort to none and ascending.
    under tools > more photos > arrange > sort
    pick filename and descending
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    In the gallery you referenced, we can't see the filenames to see what might have gone wrong. Can you enable filenames in that gallery?

FYI, I sort by filename for the same reasons you do (multiple shots in a burst) and I have found it to work with the right gallery settings.
    Done. And I misspoke, it's ascending filenames (1...99, A...Z)
    Allen wrote:
    Try this
    under customize gallery set sort to none and ascending.
    under tools > more photos > arrange > sort
    pick filename and descending
    Unfortunately I had experienced some weirdness with my internet while uploading and auto-sort set to none actually makes things weirder, I'm assuming because the photos uploaded out of order. I found the problem though, I was in fact sorting by date taken rather than filenames, because I was using a preset setting for that gallery 11doh.gif

Doesn't change the fact that when I went to use the arrange tool and clicked "by filename" nothing happened. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    . Done. And I misspoke, it's ascending filenames (1...99, A...Z)

Unfortunately I had experienced some weirdness with my internet while uploading and auto-sort set to none actually makes things weirder, I'm assuming because the photos uploaded out of order. I found the problem though, I was in fact sorting by date taken rather than filenames, because I was using a preset setting for that gallery 11doh.gif

Doesn't change the fact that when I went to use the arrange tool and clicked "by filename" nothing happened. ne_nau.gif
    So, is it working now? Arrange/Sort works only when auto sort is turned off. Smugmug has never really gotten the usability right between auto-sort, Arrange/Sort and Rearrange manually sort because auto sort has to be off before either of the other two will actually work and even when auto sort is off, if the order is set to something other than ascending, the others may get messed up. The whole sorting thing really needs a usability redesign. But, once you understand all it's peculiarities, you can usually get it to do what you want. It's just unfortunate that you have understand all these peculiarities before it will work predictably.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    So, is it working now? Arrange/Sort works only when auto sort is turned off. Smugmug has never really gotten the usability right between auto-sort, Arrange/Sort and Rearrange manually sort because auto sort has to be off before either of the other two will actually work and even when auto sort is off, if the order is set to something other than ascending, the others may get messed up. The whole sorting thing really needs a usability redesign. But, once you understand all it's peculiarities, you can usually get it to do what you want. It's just unfortunate that you have understand all these peculiarities before it will work predictably.
    Well said!! It is working now exactly as I wanted, and knowing I need to turn auto sort off in the gallery customization for the other tools to work right is valuable information.