Options

Opinions Please - f2.8 Non IS or f/4 IS lens??

SparkzSparkz Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 13, 2008 in Cameras
I am trying to decide which lens to buy. I am considering the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 NON IS lens and the f/4 IS version. They are both in the same price range and I expect image quality to be equal as well. My question is this.... does anyone have any experience with both lenses? If you do which one would you recommend? Is "IS" at f/4 worth the trade off of the faster f/2.8 lens? I do mostly nature/landscape photography and usually with a monopod or tripod. Occasionally I will shoot kids soccer games, but it's not my main thing. If anyone has an opinion I would like to hear it.

Thanks
Mike "Sparkz"

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    natural light in landscape on tripod select the smaller lighter f4.

kids sports 2.8 for sure

you can use the 2.8 for everything but have the weight to carry...

f4 very limited in the sports area...and the bokeh from the 2.8 is so nice too...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    Hi Aaron, I guess that's what I'm having trouble with, I really like the 2.8 bokeh but I'm just not sure if I want to give up the IS that comes with the f/4. Also, I'm thinking that the "IS" is sort of cancelled out with the 2.8 because it would let me use higher shutter speeds. Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.
    natural light in landscape on tripod select the smaller lighter f4.

kids sports 2.8 for sure

you can use the 2.8 for everything but have the weight to carry...

f4 very limited in the sports area...and the bokeh from the 2.8 is so nice too...
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    i wouldnt bother with IS on f4 if your doing landscape with it...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    If you are mainly using it for landscapes on a tripod, then you may not need the IS. Then again, I suspect you are stopping down as well and hence may not even need the f2.8. For landscapes, I suspect weight would be a primary issue. I'd also consider the 70-200mm f4L non IS or maybe the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8. The Tamron's AF is not as good as the Canon's with moving subjects, but for landscapes it's light and it has great close focusing abilities and the optics are great too.

If you are planning some sports, I'd lean more toward the f2.8 version.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either of the lenses you are considering, you just have to pick the one that fits your priorities the best.
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Sparkz wrote:
    I am trying to decide which lens to buy. I am considering the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 NON IS lens and the f/4 IS version. They are both in the same price range and I expect image quality to be equal as well. My question is this.... does anyone have any experience with both lenses? If you do which one would you recommend? Is "IS" at f/4 worth the trade off of the faster f/2.8 lens? I do mostly nature/landscape photography and usually with a monopod or tripod. Occasionally I will shoot kids soccer games, but it's not my main thing. If anyone has an opinion I would like to hear it.

Thanks
    Mike "Sparkz"

If sports is not a priority, get the F4IS. It's lighter and the IS adds some versatility for indoor people shots (as long as they're relatively still) or outdoor lowlight nature.

Get the 2.8 only if you're going to use it at 2.8 otherwise there's no sense in paying for something you're not going to use.

Gene
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    Get the 2.8 only if you're going to use it at 2.8 otherwise there's no sense in paying for something you're not going to use.

Gene

this is not entirely true......a lens that is larger also gets more grinding which usually makes it a higher end lens and usually winds up in a body of better build, including little things like internal focusing which can be a huge thing if you are going to be using gradient filters of any sort or circular polarizers, you do not want your barrel to be revolving while focusing.....lenses starting out at f4 a lot of times go into light weight non pro bodies which have the lens lengthening and shorting during focus and also the the front end revolving......I have not owned a non internal focus lens in a lot of years and would not consider one now, unless it was a dire emergency.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 12, 2008
    FWIW

I own and use a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L - great lens, but very heavy to carry all day in the field. I bought my wife a Canon f4 70-200 IS. Vastly lighter, every bit as sharp as the faster version. I envy her some times when hiking in the landscape. I think Nightingale got the better dealthumb.gif

I would buy the f2.8 version if you plan to shoot sports, or use the f2.8 in portrait work and that probably means using a full frame camera. 200mm gets pretty long for portraits on a crop body. The Canon 70-200 f4 IS L is an internal focusing lens - it does not vary in length as it is zoomed.

Otherwise, I would stick with the f4 version. With modern cameras shooting pictures at ISO 1600 +, we usually can manage with f4, unless we are shooting sports.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Owned f/4 IS and now own f/2.8 IS.

Optically, f/4 is of equal, if not slightly better, performance to the 2.8. I'm glad to have the 2.8 but not for bokeh—I don't really think there's that much of a difference. One stop is one stop. It's not exactly as much of a problem-solver than I led myself to believe. I'm beginning to be one of these people who don't feel like the f/2.8 zoom is THAT much more desirable than the f/4, across any focal range. The extra money should go into resolution, CA and distortion control, and not just getting more light in. I'm rarely ever just one stop from happiness. Having acquired (and loved) the 24-105L, I have confidence in the L-series f/4 lenses, and I imagine the 17-40L is pretty fab.

What I really needed was the difference between f/4 or f/2.8 and f/1.4, for which I hope the 5DmkII fills the need. I find that the two lenses behave almost identically with respect to focus speed and accuracy, feel and IS performance, though the f/4 IS is supposed to be up to a stop better. Do I miss the f/4? I do. The 2.8's zoom ring feels more textured than the fast/smooth f/4. The 2.8 brings a certain cachet appeal but also attracts a lot more attention. Both take AWESOME pictures.

Reading this back, I think I let you in on more than you cared to know about me!
  • Options
    iamprof40iamprof40 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Having lugged a 100-400L around the world, I would go for the lighter lens, unless you REALLY need f 2.8!!! IS is a must though, at least in my view, so I guess I would go for the f 4 IS.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    For me size would be the biggest issue. I would go for the f/4 IS because it is significantly lighter to carry. My brother has one, and I have used it. It it is probably the best zoom lens optically that Canon makes. It's a real winner.
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I have a 70-200 2.8L IS and I really enjoy the versatility of it. I shoot some sports, and use if for other duties as well. I like having the IS for handheld shots when I'm using it as my walking around lens. When on the tripod or shooting sports the IS gets turned off.

Whichever lens you get I would suggest getting IS. I think for most people there will be times when you'd like to have it. I really like fast lenses, but you pay a price for the 2.8 for sure. If you don't need it, why pay for it? As another poster pointed out, high ISO performance is continually improving with each new generation of cameras.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited November 12, 2008
    I recently test drove the 2.8 L IS to see if it was worth the difference over the 4 L IS. Nice lens—all 4 of them in this series are. I would not consider a non-IS after having the IS on my camera for the two weeks. Just too helpful in getting more keepers + many shots I would never capture without IS.

I didn't as much mind the weight of the 2.8, but the girth was a bit much to handle for any length of time. As I don't do any low-light sports, the 2.8 was overkill.

The 4 IS is the better of all of them. Sharper, more weather sealed, and newest design; also 1/2 the weight, 2/3 the price of the 2.8, and shorter by about an inch. The 4 IS is so hand-holdable, you might not need a tripod at all in many/most situations. The 4 comes with a more basic looking lens shade (round - not petal type), and no tripod foot (~$150 extra). Probably better bokeh from the new 4 IS as the blades are now rounded.

The 4 IS is on my list before the U.S. rebates end Jan. 17th.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    I've owned the f/4 and now have the f/4 IS version and would wholeheartedly recommend it. My father-in-law owns the f/2.8 IS version which I've used as well. Unless f/2.8 is essential for you, the f/4 IS version has a lot of advantages - all nicely detailed by David and others. For me, the weight would be a big issue. If I were an indoor sports photographer, I'd own the f/2.8 version. For nature/landscape stuff using a tripod, I'd go with the f/4 IS version.

As has been mentioned, you won't go wrong with any of them!
  • Options
    cas3021cas3021 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    I own a Canon 300mm f/4.0 usm is lens. I used it for shooting youth sports and really loved it. It is lighter then my 300 2.8 and works great. Although the 2.8 did get a better reach the 4.0 worked for what I needed it to.

Unfortunalty I am moving and closing down my photography business so if you are in the market for a 300mm 4.0 I am selling mine. It is in excellent condition. I do have it listed on here.

Let me know.
    THX and good luck!!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Great Responses - Thank You
    I want to thank each of you for your well thought out and argued responses to my question. After reading them all I decided to go with the Canon f/4 IS 70-200. I also have the 24-105 f/4 IS and love it. Who ever thought deciding on a lens would be so hard! Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate your input. Mike "Sparkz"