Options

Annoying Nikon D60

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Cameras
A friend has a Nikon D60 and it seems that whether in AF-S of AF-C, it requires a focus lock on something before it will fire the shutter. This is very annoying, as without the focus lock, you have to use MF only. I don't understand why this is.

My D70, D300 and all the other nikons that I know about switch to "Release priority" when in AF-C focus mode, so why is the D60, and perhaps the entire D40 series line up different? I find this to be the most annoying thing about the D60, and it frustrates my friend to no end as well.

So, is it possible to switch to release priority on the D60? How do I go around this problem?

Usually, the camera displays "Subject is too dark." AF-assist lamp is off, and even if it was on, the distance to the subject is too far sometimes, so it wouldn't help, and besides, the light is annoying as hell.

Thank you for your assistance.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited November 12, 2008
    The Nikon D40/D40x/D60 cameras are designed to autofocus only with lenses with built-in focus motors, like AF-S lenses. Other lenses generally require manual focus. (Those cameras lack the Nikon "screw drive" AF mechanism.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    I've got the AFS lenses. The camera will not fire unless it locks focus, even in AF-C mode, which I find rather odd. I'm wondering if the D60 has a release priority, rather than a focus priority setting, at least in AF-C focus mode.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Anyone have any tips? Is the D60 only a daylight camera that starts to have major problems when the sun goes down, or in concert halls? Not to say its not a good camera (it is, aside from the AF problem/design), but compared to the D70 lineup, (thought I have no experience with the D80/90) I'd rather go with the 80 or 90 due to the low light AF problems. Even if the D70 for example failed to get a lock on AF-C focus mode, it would often be close, or allow me to shoot even with poor focus. Additionally, switching from MF to AF was a matter of flicking one switch.

I'm thinking the D60 was created to sell the newer AF-S lenses with full time manual focus override! How often does anyone use the feature with say, a D300? I sure dont.

I don't want to say my AF situation is a problem really, as I'm sure the designers had some good reason for setting up the camera the way they did. Its the third in the series, and from what I hear, a hot seller, so most people must either not run into my situation, or they must know of a work around that I don't.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    Well, I found information on another site about it, but I'll post information here should anyone else have a question:

Basically, the camera does have this "problem" (again, I find it annoying, but the brains at Nikon felt it wise to do this) and some people have found that point and shoots have superior focusing abilities, i.e. the Nikon D60,40,40x has locked up saying its too dark and their girlfriend with the point and shoot is busy firing away.

Possible solutions were:

A. Switch to AF-S and try focusing on something bright and at a similar distance. Focus and recompose.

B. Use the AF assist light if distance is say, less than 10 feet. I find this to be a highly annoying light, and turn them off on all of my cameras though.

C. Switch to manual focus. Downsides is, the viewfinder is small and provides no focusing aids. Electronic rangefinder for me is only so so, and doesn't work in manual exposure mode anyway. Further more, kit lenses provide no focusing scale or ranges. I've heard that you can buy focusing screens for this camera, and it might be a good option if you find the need.

IMO, this is the one truly annoying thing about this camera, and in a way, a deal breaker. Aside from the size of the camera, and of course the price, I would personally spring for a D80 or 90 series camera if I was in the market for the lowest cost digital SLR, with the intention of waiting at least 4 years before upgrading the body again. Alternatively, if I was not already invested in some fairly expensive Nikon glass, I'd look to some other manufacturer.

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Well, I found information on another site about it, but I'll post information here should anyone else have a question:

Basically, the camera does have this "problem" (again, I find it annoying, but the brains at Nikon felt it wise to do this) and some people have found that point and shoots have superior focusing abilities, i.e. the Nikon D60,40,40x has locked up saying its too dark and their girlfriend with the point and shoot is busy firing away.

Possible solutions were:

A. Switch to AF-S and try focusing on something bright and at a similar distance. Focus and recompose.

B. Use the AF assist light if distance is say, less than 10 feet. I find this to be a highly annoying light, and turn them off on all of my cameras though.

C. Switch to manual focus. Downsides is, the viewfinder is small and provides no focusing aids. Electronic rangefinder for me is only so so, and doesn't work in manual exposure mode anyway. Further more, kit lenses provide no focusing scale or ranges. I've heard that you can buy focusing screens for this camera, and it might be a good option if you find the need.

IMO, this is the one truly annoying thing about this camera, and in a way, a deal breaker. Aside from the size of the camera, and of course the price, I would personally spring for a D80 or 90 series camera if I was in the market for the lowest cost digital SLR, with the intention of waiting at least 4 years before upgrading the body again. Alternatively, if I was not already invested in some fairly expensive Nikon glass, I'd look to some other manufacturer.

Thanks for looking.

I've just been lent a friends older D80 and I get similar issues where it can't find a focus and then won't allow the shutter to operate. I've found that if I zoom in, I can get focus, then I zoom out while maintaining the half pressure on the shutter. Then I can take the shot once I have the desired zoom.

Hope that makes sense...

Likewise, really liking the camera, just frustrated with the focus/shutter issue.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I only can speak from Canon experience, but what you are describing is similar in Canon. If it is too dark to get focus lock, it will light the focus lock light (or IR on the flash if you have one attached). If it can not lock focus it won't fire the shutter. If you put the lens in manual focus however, the camera will shoot whether you have focus lock or not. The focus lock indicator will light when you do have focus in manual.

Usually the issue is more related to the lens than the camera. Bright lenses can get focus lock typically better in low light situation. For Canon, I have found that most 'L' lenses are superior in getting focus, but then often those are bright lenses.

If your lens is the kit lens, this could be your issue. good luck
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    Mav wrote:
    I've just been lent a friends older D80 and I get similar issues where it can't find a focus and then won't allow the shutter to operate. I've found that if I zoom in, I can get focus, then I zoom out while maintaining the half pressure on the shutter. Then I can take the shot once I have the desired zoom.

Hope that makes sense...

Likewise, really liking the camera, just frustrated with the focus/shutter issue.

Mav, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your observations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Mav, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your observations.

Thanks Ziggy - I'm very much a n00b at this photography lark... I got the link from an ADVRider inmate and I already use SmugMug. I'm hoping to tap you guys for some hints and tips as well as guidance on buying my first SLR clap.gif At some point, I will have to give the D80 back :cry
  • Options
    jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I only can speak from Canon experience, but what you are describing is similar in Canon. If it is too dark to get focus lock, it will light the focus lock light (or IR on the flash if you have one attached). If it can not lock focus it won't fire the shutter. If you put the lens in manual focus however, the camera will shoot whether you have focus lock or not. The focus lock indicator will light when you do have focus in manual.

Usually the issue is more related to the lens than the camera. Bright lenses can get focus lock typically better in low light situation. For Canon, I have found that most 'L' lenses are superior in getting focus, but then often those are bright lenses.

If your lens is the kit lens, this could be your issue. good luck

If you put the camera in servo focus mode instead of "one shot" or "AI" mode, it will fire away no matter what the state of focus is, and will try to keep whatever is at your focus point in focus while you're doing it. Do note that it will make for inconsistently focused results if you're using it to try and grab focus in very poorly lit situations. You can do this in any manual mode and it's the default in the "sports" mode on the dial, useless as it may be. I am pretty sure that any of the Rebels will fire the shutter if you don't have focus lock (300D didn't have servo focus selectable but could be tricked or hacked in to doing it).

Whereas on the D40 and D60, you can shoot in AI servo focusing mode so it continually focuses, but you can't fire the shutter unless you have focus confirmation. That's the OP's gripe here.

Some more advice:

If you are shooting a still scene in low light, try using a small flashlight. Shine some light on something contrasty, get the focus, switch to manual focus if you want to keep it there, and fire away.

If you are shooting something more like a landscape scene in a very dark situation where you can't focus automatically, face it, you're using a tripod and probably want more depth of field, so look up some hyperfocal focus settings online on a DOF calculator, prefocus the lens to whatever point you need to, set the aperture as small as you care to, and of course check on the review screen to make sure you're not totally out in left field.
    -Jeff
  • Options
    mteichermteicher Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Nikon D60 - a day camera only ??
    I purchased a Nikon D60 specifically for night shooting, more so for the nightclubs I cover, with the SB-800 or SB-900 speedlight, it takes great pictures, sometimes one cannot tell the pictures are taken in a nightclub.
    The only downfall of the Nikon D60 is the 3 focal points, sometimes on group shots, the focus is slightly fuzzy on the sides of the pictures, other than and 60,000 photos since I purchase it in June, it has held up to the rigors of being pushed, shoved and sloshed with beer :)
    Anyone have any tips? Is the D60 only a daylight camera that starts to have major problems when the sun goes down, or in concert halls? Not to say its not a good camera (it is, aside from the AF problem/design), but compared to the D70 lineup, (thought I have no experience with the D80/90) I'd rather go with the 80 or 90 due to the low light AF problems. Even if the D70 for example failed to get a lock on AF-C focus mode, it would often be close, or allow me to shoot even with poor focus. Additionally, switching from MF to AF was a matter of flicking one switch.

I'm thinking the D60 was created to sell the newer AF-S lenses with full time manual focus override! How often does anyone use the feature with say, a D300? I sure dont.

I don't want to say my AF situation is a problem really, as I'm sure the designers had some good reason for setting up the camera the way they did. Its the third in the series, and from what I hear, a hot seller, so most people must either not run into my situation, or they must know of a work around that I don't.
    Mark Teicher
    Principle Photographer/Co-Founder
    Body Bumpers, LLC
    PH: 717 918 1262
    Fax: 831 480 5873
    url: www.body-bumpers.com
    email: mteicher@body-bumpers.com