Options

Dead Horse point, UT (Shootout '08)

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in Landscapes
One very early morning, a group of photographers decided to drive up to Dead Horse point.
At that very location, I shot this shot:

406751698_7q7hi-XL.jpg

I like the shot, but think it may be missing something. I may also just have to get used to it, as it's not what I'm used to as far as shooting as well as processing. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    I like it! thumb.gif The inclusion of the lit forground adds a ton of depth and interest to the shot. I do feel like it should be a bit wider, but then, I like wide all the time. :) I think you pretty much nailed this one. :D

James
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    I think it is a superb piece of work! Print it big and gasp in ah!

Well Done, Shane
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    ivar wrote:
    One very early morning, a group of photographers decided to drive up to Dead Horse point.
    At that very location, I shot this shot:

406751698_7q7hi-XL.jpg

I like the shot, but think it may be missing something. I may also just have to get used to it, as it's not what I'm used to as far as shooting as well as processing. What do you think?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwesommmmmmmme!

That's me yelling praise down the canyon. I'm sure it would echo quite a ways. thumb.gif

I can see how you might want a dead tree or something in the fg but while that's good and gives a very solid subject to anchor you, I kind of like the space and just the use of light that draws your eye down the center. Don't change a thing. The light/shadow as it is makes me feel like I'm slipping down to the bottom. Tension!

Fantastic balance of light in the sky and on the land!

(Do we have enough gas to get back to town? lol3.gif)
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    I really like the shot as well -- what focal length was used? As mentioned, the foreground really captures the depth of the scene. It has been so long since I've been to that spot and I've been seeing lots of photos of the area in several different venues... Thanks for sharing the great photo.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    I love it! How did you capture it?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Awesome shot, Ivar.

It's a little bright for my taste. Especially the rocks on the right and the bottom of the valley. I'd like a bit more mystery in it. But the mix of light in the shot is very nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Why are you questioning yourself? I think it's great! I particularly like the vertical aspect, most I've seen use a horizontal format.

The only little nit I might pick with you is that the very top of the clouds look a little too dark to be real. I might try lightening them up just a little, while keeping the darkness for the "framing" or vignette effect you have going on.

Is that someone's shadow on the extreme right?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    jamesl wrote:
    I like it! thumb.gif The inclusion of the lit forground adds a ton of depth and interest to the shot. I do feel like it should be a bit wider, but then, I like wide all the time. :) I think you pretty much nailed this one. :D

James
    Thanks James!

I do have some wide shots from the same area, also, but they don't do anything for me, really ne_nau.gif

I do really like the foreground myself, and I think that's what is missing in the wider shots.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    I think it is a superb piece of work! Print it big and gasp in ah!

Well Done, Shane
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Wow, thanks shane! that great to hear from you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwesommmmmmmme!

That's me yelling praise down the canyon. I'm sure it would echo quite a ways. thumb.gif

I can see how you might want a dead tree or something in the fg but while that's good and gives a very solid subject to anchor you, I kind of like the space and just the use of light that draws your eye down the center. Don't change a thing. The light/shadow as it is makes me feel like I'm slipping down to the bottom. Tension!

Fantastic balance of light in the sky and on the land!

(Do we have enough gas to get back to town? lol3.gif)
    I was a bit shaky and wound up on the trip back, wasn't I? lol3.gif

Thanks Schmoo, for the great compliment; I do feel like I'm missing something, but on the other hand I can't imagine a tree being in the foreground and still have the same sight down the canyonland for some reason headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    work2fish wrote:
    I really like the shot as well -- what focal length was used? As mentioned, the foreground really captures the depth of the scene. It has been so long since I've been to that spot and I've been seeing lots of photos of the area in several different venues... Thanks for sharing the great photo.
    Thanks so much!

I used a canon 10-22 on a canon 30d. I love that lens thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    I love it! How did you capture it?
    Thanks!

It was captured one very early morning, with a 10-22 on a Canon 30d.
    There are actually 2 exposures with a 1-stop difference, blended in PhotoMatix and further processed in LR.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Awesome shot, Ivar.

It's a little bright for my taste. Especially the rocks on the right and the bottom of the valley. I'd like a bit more mystery in it. But the mix of light in the shot is very nice!
    Thanks, David!

I'm going to try a different version of this shot in processing, using Dee's comments as well (see above/below). I'll post a different version here if I have something to my liking ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    Why are you questioning yourself? I think it's great! I particularly like the vertical aspect, most I've seen use a horizontal format.

The only little nit I might pick with you is that the very top of the clouds look a little too dark to be real. I might try lightening them up just a little, while keeping the darkness for the "framing" or vignette effect you have going on.

Is that someone's shadow on the extreme right?
    Thanks Dee!!

The sky was actually darkened a bit with the Grad-ND tool in LR, so that may be an easy fix.
    I'll see if I can process it a different way, with a bit lighter sky, and see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Splendid beauty makes me want to fly into the scene.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Splendid beauty makes me want to fly into the scene.
    Thanks Awais wings.gif
  • Options
    ramdiskramdisk Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    ivar, nice view, it's good to see something alittle different for this stop
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

Ahh! The joy of not much of anything.............
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    You might be looking for more pop. The shadows seem to take that away. Nice vantage point tho' to capture your time there.

My guess is midday would have been a better time (with a CP?)

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    ramdisk wrote:
    ivar, nice view, it's good to see something alittle different for this stop
    Thanks, Ramdisk thumb.gif I'm not sure what the 'normal' shots are from this place, but I'm glad mine is different lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    torags wrote:
    You might be looking for more pop. The shadows seem to take that away. Nice vantage point tho' to capture your time there.

My guess is midday would have been a better time (with a CP?)

Rags
    Hi Rags, thanks for the look and comment!

I'm definitely not looking for more pop; this is about as poppy as I'm willing to go already. I'm more looking for something to anchor the foreground a little more, i think.

I doubt midday would be better; For one there would be much more, and harsher, shadows. But also, this was shot at 10mm, near impossible to use a CP with.