Options

A Few of Pathfinder's Images from the Shootout in Moab

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
edited November 2, 2008 in Landscapes
It has taken me a while to get caught up with processing, after over two weeks of shooting in Utah before and during the shootout. But I finally have a few shots to present for comments and criticisms.

Lower Calf Creek Falls in the Escalante-Staircase Wilderness - two frames from a G9 combined, but not as a pano - prints very nicely at 10 x 15 inches
405696111_4DRAn-XL.jpg

Another at Lower Calf Creek Falls with a 5D
388530280_dy5m9-XL.jpg

We shot aspens in the snow on Boulder Mountain - 5D
401752461_X3eed-XL.jpg

Nightingale and I shot hundreds, and hundreds of petroglyphs, and dozens of pictographs as well from hundreds of miles of back country double track. Many were not that great as images, but I have a few I like a bit.

From Buckhorn Draw in central Utah
386034510_V3MA3-XL.jpg

And another from Buckhorn Draw from the Barrier people
386030901_DsULm-XL.jpg

And a landscape 5 frame pano from Cottonwood Wash up Buckhorn Draw - the bottle monolith
400382385_T6n7L-XL.jpg

We saw a few lizards - 40D Tamron 28-300 Di
405694698_Bs5wU-XL.jpg

And a few deer - 40D Tamron 200-500 ISO 800 both frames
386741161_RX4DS-XL.jpg

386747113_oZbiF-XL.jpg

We shot Double Arch with the group with Marc, and Aaron's lighting
401678585_usvvn-XL.jpg

We shot sunstars at Turret Arch
401088866_wbbcP-XL.jpg

A fellow shooter at Turret Arch as well - Hi Fred!
405699060_K8tcc-XL.jpg

I shot Delicate Arch with a 50mm lens on a 1DsMkii
405018728_CgdsX-XL.jpg

And I shot Delicate Arch with a G9 as a 4 frame pano
405004361_eHmz4-XL.jpg

Great fun and a fabulous trip! I can't wait to go back to Utah again!
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

The Double Arch Shot is my fav
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    That really was great lighting that night, I agree. It is a hard image to print, rather than look at on a display though..

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Great job on these! I especially like the Delicate Arch shots, but the double arch night shot is awesome too. Looks like you had an awesome trip. :D

James
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Beautiful. I too like the double arches. I also think the aspens are stunning too.
    Angela
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Bout time you posted. rolleyes1.gif

clap.gif Very nicely done.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Great shooting, Jim! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    wow, nice shots.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    An all-around great group of photos. A few really stand out, but all are very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    You always seam to have so much fun on these trips, because the images are tellingclap.gif That shot of the buck behind the rock is sensational.

It was much fun shooting with you up in the wind at Delicate Archwings.gif glad that G9 stayed on the tripodmwink.gif
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    An all-around great group of photos. A few really stand out, but all are very well done. Thanks for sharing.

+1

I like these kind of shots, the ones that drive me.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thanks, everyone for the nice comments and no criticisms. I guess I'll not learn as much this go aroundrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

For you Marc, a few more of those deer - I shot them in Echo Park near the boat ramp right in front of that colored rock wall. They were about 40 yards from me and I had no place to hide so I was kneeling slowly in the wide open hoping they would let me get few frames and not bolt off.

406203963_SoyFg-XL.jpg

406204462_67yDK-XL.jpg

No one liked my petroglyphsne_nau.gif , but i have a couple more anywayclap.gif

400468019_JYGXq-XL.jpg

401749177_oF4AY-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I am looking forward to shooting with Marc again in Utah next fall.

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Those are even betterwings.gif

I think I see Kathy in the last one explaining to you how to focusne_nau.gif

My father has spent much of his life in pursuit of rock art. He too does not receive many comments on his committed work and even published a book called "IMAGES IN STONE". There is a following but only those crazy about history. He and I have spoken about this and have come to the conclusion that it is not so much about expressing yourself creatively but rather discovering and witnessing in person what folks thought was creative thousand of years ago. I am always moved by the tremendous stories behind the figures, as the implications are quite advanced for what we perceive as old fashioned, stone age thinking.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    Kathy keeps me in line, thats for sure.thumb.gif

I have had a copy "Images in Stone" for several years. I need to look at it again tonight, I think.

Hopefully, we will have less wind next fall than we did up there on Delicate Arch.

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Great Shots Jim. Love those Buck images. Creek Falls is beautiful with the range of colors.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    clap.gif All Gorgreous shots, my favs are the waterfalls, the Aspens and the lizard. Also love the deer shots, it's like they were playing peek a boo rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

The Double Arch Shot is my fav

It's my favorite too. It puts mine to shame!! Great work all around!!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words, Adam. I've seen enough of your images to know that yours are just fine alsothumb.gif

Kathy and I enjoyed the dinner with you all in Moab at the Brewery.

Picturegirl, I am so glad you liked the lizard. Kathy and I have collected a lot of lousy lizard shots over the years, but this one I thought was one of my better captures, and I rather like its sharpness, and that I captured it with a Tamron 'travel' zoom.

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Beautiful set! I really like the petroglyphs...extremely fascinating. That second waterfall shot has great scale, with the light just touching the two people on the left. The pano and Double Arch are breathtaking and the lizard is razor sharp. Looks like a more than successful and satisfactory trip! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    great stuff, especially the shot of the double arch at night. i wish i'd had more time there when i went last spring... as it was, i managed Delicate Arch (it was very windy there then, too!), Turret Arch and the Windows. didn't have time for too much else. oh well... gives me a reason to go back, right? mwink.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Great looking shots Path.

Nothing wrong with the petroglyphs. We stopped and shot some, but they weren't all that great.
    The star shot turned out great, and you were able to find some wildlife.

You did good.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Loved all the shots! The one problem I had with some of the petroglyphs is that I was disturbed by the fact that somebody would add their graffiti to such fine piece of art work. For better or worse, I couldn't get around that disappointment on those shots. But all the others are really quite marvelous and extremely well done!
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    I like the second set of petroglyphs much better (especially the first one in the second set). Seeing more of the figures in a shot is more interesting (tells more of a story).

The buck shots are very cool.

How long was the exposure on the double arches shot? None of the stars are streaked but the overall lighting looks like the effect of a longer exposure. Very cool picture.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful set! I really like the petroglyphs...extremely fascinating. That second waterfall shot has great scale, with the light just touching the two people on the left. The pano and Double Arch are breathtaking and the lizard is razor sharp. Looks like a more than successful and satisfactory trip! clap.gif

Thank you Elaine. The shot of Calf Creek Falls shows how you must always pay attention. I had shot several frames of the falls, and removed my camera from the tripod, in preparation for hiking back to the trail head, when I saw the two tourists step into the rim light, like I captured them. I hurried up as fast as I could, and put the camera back onto the tripod, to capture only that single frame before they turned around and left. It was my best shot of the morning! Whew!!

• Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    squirl033 wrote:
    great stuff, especially the shot of the double arch at night. i wish i'd had more time there when i went last spring... as it was, i managed Delicate Arch (it was very windy there then, too!), Turret Arch and the Windows. didn't have time for too much else. oh well... gives me a reason to go back, right? mwink.gif

Delicate Arch must be windy quite often. The evening I shot Delicate Arch, Marc estimated the wind speed to have gusts of 50-70 mph. It was hard to walk at times because it was so windy.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    work2fish wrote:
    Loved all the shots! The one problem I had with some of the petroglyphs is that I was disturbed by the fact that somebody would add their graffiti to such fine piece of art work. For better or worse, I couldn't get around that disappointment on those shots. But all the others are really quite marvelous and extremely well done!

I agree, too many of the petroglyphs have been damaged by foolish folks, with rock scratchings, or chalk, or even bullet holes. I have not made up my mind whether it is better to present the images as recorded, or to try to do some cosmetic repair on the digital image, to help it resemble what I think it originally looked like. I know that there are two schools of thought abut these tactics.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    Thwack wrote:
    I like the second set of petroglyphs much better (especially the first one in the second set). Seeing more of the figures in a shot is more interesting (tells more of a story).

The buck shots are very cool.

How long was the exposure on the double arches shot? None of the stars are streaked but the overall lighting looks like the effect of a longer exposure. Very cool picture.

The exif data for the double arch shot says 56 seconds, (with a 24mm TS ) which sounds about right. I was surprised that the exif data had the correct exposure for a time exposure > 30 secs - so I learned something new also.

This one was 30 seconds at f5.0 at ISO 1600 - full moonlight

401676094_HsxTQ-XL.jpg

• Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Jim, Looks like another nice round of photos thumb.gif. I had a great time shooting with you and Kathy at Arches. Can't wait till the next time. Hey, that's me in your Turret Arch pic !!! I hope to post a few soon.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Very nice collection as usual, Jim! I always can count on seeing you and Kathy's familiar face and I really enjoy that. I also can always count on seeing a wide variety of great shots from you: details and big scenes, landscapes and wildlife and everything in between on your adventures.

There is really so much to see in the west. And I didn't see most of these !