• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Pro Sales Support Digital Railroad says goodbye

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Oct-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
Bicameral
Digital Railroad says goodbye
It's a shame, really. We never like to see this, companies just shutting down. What's worse, from announcement to closure, Digital Railroad only gave their customers one week's notice

I know a lot of photographers that are in a real jam now.

SmugMug expects to have a stock marketplace - we've solicited input for a long time and we'll get there. No, I don't have an update, other than to say it is indeed terribly important to us to have such an offering

Any Digital Railroad refugees can use coupon code digitalrailroad when signing up, for 50% off the first year's subscription.
Old Oct-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
...other than to say it is indeed terribly important to us to have such an offering...
Music to my ears, Andy. I know the others may harp on such ambiguity, but being with SM since 2004 or so, I know you guys do things RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...

Can't wait to get my portfolio of nature and other photographs available in the commercial realm, finally...

And very sad to hear about DRR going under... They had a way cooler name than "SmugMug"!!! :-P

Take care,
=Matt=
Old Nov-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Karenl39 is offline Karenl39
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville
Music to my ears, Andy. I know the others may harp on such ambiguity, but being with SM since 2004 or so, I know you guys do things RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...

Can't wait to get my portfolio of nature and other photographs available in the commercial realm, finally...

And very sad to hear about DRR going under... They had a way cooler name than "SmugMug"!!! :-P

Take care,
=Matt=
That's sad. I wonder if the economy is really affecting photo companies also.
Old Nov-20-2008, 05:20 PM
DrDavid is offline DrDavid
Smugization Master
I'm pretty sure the business was just not good enough to survive. Businesses fail all the time.

Good thing Smug is profitable still! :)

SmugMug & Wordpress Customization - WolfSnap.com | Custom Domains
Old Nov-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
Bicameral
Old Feb-28-2009, 10:49 PM
darryl is offline darryl
Major grins
I'm just hearing about this now, but guh, if it was at all possible, the story got worse:

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...lrailroad.html

Quote:
NEW YORK, NY (October 28, 2008) - Digital Railroad didn't even give it's users the courtesy of 24 hours to get their photographs off their servers.

When users signed on this morning, waiting for them after the Digital Railroad log in today was this notice:

"To our valued Members:

We're sorry to inform you that Digital Railroad (DRR) has shut down.

On October 15th we reported that the company had reduced its staff and was aggressively pursuing additional financing and/or a strategic partner. Unfortunately, those efforts were unsuccessful. Therefore Digital Railroad has been forced to suspend all operations.

This archive may only be accessible for the next 24 hours.

Digital Railroad has attracted a loyal set of members. Thank you for allowing us to serve the photographic community these past few years.

All questions pertaining to claims should be addressed to:

Digital Railroad Inc.
c/o Diablo Management Group
1452 N. Vasco Road, #301
Livermore, CA 94551"

Then this afternoon, shortly after 5 p.m. EST, the Digital Railroad Web site went dead. Dark. Gone.
Tell The World!