Options

Portraits on Train Tracks

BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in People
Ok, I might be flamed for this , but I have to express how disturbed I am by the current trend of taking portraits on train tracks. Sure the final photo looks good, but it is still very dangerous and you are taking a huge risk whenever you do this. Even if you have the train schedule, there are times when unscheduled maintenance trains use the tracks, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way, you often can not hear the train until it is too late to move out of the way, especially if you are working with little kids.

That is another thing- even if you tell little kids not to play on the tracks, if you then bring them to a train track and have them play and pose for a while during the photo shoot, they will then, in their little minds, think that it is ok to play on the tracks- and this could end up in a huge tragedy.
Also, if they see photos of others posed on train tracks, they will again think it must not be dangerous, and could end up with a tragic death or disfigurement.

I live in the northeast , and believe me, we still get news reports every now and then of people being hit by trains. It is not something to be taken lightly.

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I am not going to flame you for this but I do disagree. You can choose to not shoot on tracks for the reasons you describe- I know a lot of photographers that do not shoot certain things or locations for specific reasons- however if a client wants to shoot shots on the tracks you end up with a choice. Shoot on the tracks or loose a client. deal.gif

To purpose that a train can sneak up on you is a bit absurb. I live in a commuity that has a major track running right through it with more than 60 trains per day. A second track is being put in to increase the trains to more than 100 per day.

The only train accidents we have had is a car driven by a drunk and a pedestrian that was drunk.

If you get tunnel vision to the degree that you fail to look up and around every few minutes or that you can't hear or feel a train coming- there are hundreds of locations that could be dangerous for you to shoot in.

It is the parents responsibility to parent the kids not a photographer that spends an hour with them. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    ya like family portraits on the beach next to the ocean...
    have you ever seen those killer whales come up on the beach and snack on seals? we better be more careful....

oh and children in a field of flowers...killer bees can really do a number on kids....

wait theres more.....

studio lights....they can scare babies....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    forgive me for being so NOT serious.....

dont hate me...

but seriously, if its too windy to hear trains, nobody is going to be doing a shoot.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    ya like family portraits on the beach next to the ocean...
    have you ever seen those killer whales come up on the beach and snack on seals? we better be more careful....

oh and children in a field of flowers...killer bees can really do a number on kids....

wait theres more.....

studio lights....they can scare babies....

That's not really very helpful Aaron...

Blaker: It's a valid concern and since you come from an area that apparently has occasional pedestrian vs train accidents it probably seems very real to you.

Where I live, several years ago, there were frequently people stopping on the highways to get pictures of bears, posing with bears, pictures of kids feeding bears, etc. You get the idea I think. Needless to say from time to time someone would lose a finger, an arm, a face etc.

The message I think you want to resonate with people is "Be mindful of your surroundings when shooting". Am I right?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    MagicKiwi wrote:
    Am I right?

seriously, yes you are right.

not so seriously: now lets go feed some hungry bears:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    seriously, yes you are right.

not so seriously: now lets go feed some hungry bears:D

Laughing.gif! Man, I'm serious! These people would run out with a couple twinkies from the picnic basket for a photo-op. Not humanity's brightest huh? Personally I find it very comedic when Darwin's long arm reaches out to throw a little chlorine in the gene pool.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    MagicKiwi wrote:
    That's not really very helpful Aaron...

Blaker: It's a valid concern and since you come from an area that apparently has occasional pedestrian vs train accidents it probably seems very real to you.

Where I live, several years ago, there were frequently people stopping on the highways to get pictures of bears, posing with bears, pictures of kids feeding bears, etc. You get the idea I think. Needless to say from time to time someone would lose a finger, an arm, a face etc.

The message I think you want to resonate with people is "Be mindful of your surroundings when shooting". Am I right?

It's more of a concern because kids will often emulate their parents, and if they've been involved in a photo shoot on the tracks, then in their minds the train tracks are no longer dangerous, because they are there with their family playing on the tracks ( which is also illegal, btw).
    Then one day they are out playing with their friends, and they remember this really cool place where they played on the tracks having their photos taken, and they ride their
    bikes there, and are riding on the tracks, not paying attention, and a train comes and whoosh!! A tragedy. It does happen, and it only has to happen once, to your kid, for it to be driven home.
    I also think if kids are passing by a photo of themselves, or their friends, playing on the tracks it becomes commonplace to them, and they don't think of the tracks as a dangerous place to be.
    I have family who have worked on the RR as engineers for 2 generations and believe me, playing on the tracks for any reason should really not be taken lightly.
    As for hearing the train, it's documented that depending on the location and wind direction ( and I'm not talking a blustering windy day) you will not hear the train coming until it is very close, and how easy is it if your'e sitting on tracks to have a piece of clothing get caught on the ties, or when trying to round up a couple of kids who are NOT paying attention to get everyone far enough away avoid injury?
    I'm just saying, family portraits is a field where you are not required to take this kind of risk, or make a dangerous activity seem commonplace and not dangerous at all, so why would you?
  • Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Keep in mind, as well, it is against the law to trespass on train tracks. You have more to be concerned with than the possiblity of an oncoming train.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    good grief here we go again.....look at the statistics....it's probably in the realm of 1000 times more dangerous to get into your car and drive to the train tracks, but you would not even give that a second thought.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    GP Images wrote:
    good grief here we go again.....look at the statistics....it's probably in the realm of 1000 times more dangerous to get into your car and drive to the train tracks, but you would not even give that a second thought.

Yeah, but #1) That's not illegal
    and #2) That would be adults doing the driving

In terms of risk, you could probably leave an unopened bottle of prescription meds sitting on the coffee table and your 3 year old probably wouldn't eat them all and die, but do you want to take that risk with your kids?

You could probably safely leave your infant/toddler alone at home while you run out to the post office/quickmart and nothing would happen to them, but do you want to take that risk with your child?

You could probably tell your child not to play in the street, not to talk to strangers, not to run with scissors, not to play with fire, but would you really leave them alone with scissors, matches, etc and trust them not to be in danger?

Not to mention, playing on train tracks, ( and yeah, doing a portrait session on train tracks is equivalent to "playing") is illegal.

Sure, there are risks associated with everything we do, but as responsible parents and adult members of society, I think it's important to minimize the risks to our children, who are not mature enough to make informed decisions about which risks they are willing to take.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif

How about we get back to taking, posting, and critiquing pictures people?

I don't think any of us come to this site for morality and parenting help so lets keep the preaching to a minimum. deal.gif

If nothing else move this thread to The Big Picture as that is the level it seems to be on.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I don't think any of us come to this site for morality and parenting help so lets keep the preaching to a minimum. deal.gif

If nothing else move this thread to The Big Picture as that is the level it seems to be on.

Aron,

You couldn't be more wrong! This is important stuff. Now rather than sit around and just talk about these death traps we need to do something!

Train tracks kill people. Simple: Remove them from the landscape. Bears kill people feeding them Twinkies: Kill all the bears.

Oh, and while we are on the subject over 600 people have fallen into the Grand Canyon. We need to fill it in. After all who needs a big hole in the ground?

Y'all can can thank me later.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Sam, i am sorry for the Grand Canyon...one of my backyard sprinklers broke while on a shoot for Amtrac...i will get to fixing the issue myself no need to be calling the authorities
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Sam, i am sorry for the Grand Canyon...one of my backyard sprinklers broke while on a shoot for Amtrac...i will get to fixing the issue myself no need to be calling the authorities

Again you make light of a serious situation.

As a public service I have two photos that demonstrate very dangerous behavior. Do not try and emulate these obvious idiotic extremes to get a darn photo.

And no I have no idea who this is in the photo.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Again don't try this at home.

Sam
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I think we should make this the official train track thread-

368631380_LsNAY-M-1.jpg
    397932478_eJRpP-M.jpg
    289004883_s3M8F-M.jpg
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    It's a nice warning.
    Trains are dangerous, no questions about it.
    However, having two people on the tracks constanly looking in two opposite directions (photog looking towards model, model looking towars the camera) along the tracks kinda diminishes the chances to a value akin to be hit by lighting. Seriously, how many people were killed by trains while being engaged to a photoshoot? headscratch.gif

Yes, we as photogs do have to be aware of the shooting environment, be it a narrow ledge in GC/HSB/CDC, a dark alley in LA/NYC, or a train track. But I really can't say any one is a known killer if you play your cards right and do do obviously stupid things.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    family guy wrote:
    I think we should make this the official train track thread
    rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif
    I'm heading to Moorpark or Fillmore asap. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Again don't try this at home.
    Sam
    In addition to train tracks thread we need to have an official "Life on the edge" one.
    Sam, you should start deal.gif
    I believe kdog has a few from HSB,
    and I have things like this of Aaron on the rim of CDC:
    395905613_v4Pt5-L.jpg
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I guess I am a law breaker. This is from a couple of years ago, but just had to share it.... Tying somebody up on the train tracks. Now that is dangerous. (She is not really tied up...) We did many steps to ensure her safety while doing this so don't freak out everyone.
    400901795_DPygL-M.jpg

Or you could pretend to be a damsel in distress with your luggage on the train tracks.
    261831861_889M9-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    I guess I am a law breaker.
    No, hon, you're a maverick mwink.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    This was not dangerous
    88803656_qdRPC-L.jpg

This, on the other hand, well eek7.gif
    88803722_RSss8-L.jpg

What you don't see is I am standing where a trestle (not a Tressel) comes across the river. So the trestle is over my left shoulder and the river is to my back. But it makes a great print! :smooch

(thanks anwmn1 for the heads up on the thread)
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I had an acorn hit one of my clients on the head while he was posing under an Oak tree, I guess we should also stay away from Oak trees ???rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Harry is dressing up as Thomas the Train for Halloween. Thanks everyone for killing my good idea. Great timing!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    This was taken in 1996, I think, with a 35mm point and shoot film camera.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    In addition to train tracks thread we need to have an official "Life on the edge" one.
    :crazy
    IMG_3532.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    I have a shirt that looks a lot like that dude out on the edge of that cliff. headscratch.gif

Is this twice as dangerous?
    344564176_QehRq-XL.jpg

Aaron Newman

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    Don't play on tracks
    Uh-oh... :uhoh
    IMG_4739.jpg

Yikes! :yikes
    IMG_4740.jpg

Phew! clap.gif
    IMG_4741.jpg

Yikes! :yikes
    IMG_8290.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol4
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Aron,

You couldn't be more wrong! This is important stuff. Now rather than sit around and just talk about these death traps we need to do something!

Train tracks kill people. Simple: Remove them from the landscape. Bears kill people feeding them Twinkies: Kill all the bears.

Oh, and while we are on the subject over 600 people have fallen into the Grand Canyon. We need to fill it in. After all who needs a big hole in the ground?

Y'all can can thank me later.

Sam
    Sam, you're not addressing the root cause of these problems here. It's not the trains, Grand Canyon, and bears. It's the people so we need to get rid of those people. Uh, wait, those people are already taken care of by the trains, Grand Canyon, and bears. Never mind.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips