Options

Rock Climbing in Moab

CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Journeys
On the 2nd day of the shootout, some of us smuggers (6 to be exact) went rock climbing with Kelsey, John, and Tracy. We went to a site a few miles southwest of Moab on the Moab Kane Creek Access Rd. I was warned that we'd be in full sun most of the day so I figured it'd be perfect for IR shots with my modded Canon G6.

The rock face is tremendous. Here a view of it from the road. It's a long steep climb on loose rocks and dirt to the base. We only climb a small portion of that huge wall.
395033513_EyuLY-L.jpg

An interesting pattern on one of the loose rocks.
395033433_jjSSj-L.jpg

Butt shot of John setting up a jug line so we can shoot from there.
395033666_2x26D-L.jpg

Schmoo checks out the action above. Notice another group of climbers further down and a couple bike riders on the dirt road.
395033814_t58u6-L.jpg

Kelsey shows Travis how to jug the line.
395033932_YFC98-L.jpg

Travis is in position to shoot as Tracy climbs up.
395033952_iWA47-L.jpg

Now it's my turn to be up on the jug line and shoot from above. John is my climbing model with Tracy on belay.
395034148_J5efe-L.jpg

John finds his grip. Notice the hard shadow on the rock wall. The sun was beating on us but the strong breeze keeps it bearable.
395034149_QhExm-L.jpg

Everybody is snacking and chatting away down below while the strong wind takes apart my straw hat. Now you all know why I am up there for a long time.
395034308_hHsKF-L.jpg

Kelsey is nice enough to climb again so I can get some more shots for my collection.
395034629_qNFGR-L.jpg

Once done on this side, he goes to the other side to help out Nick.
395034787_LXkxX-L.jpg

This is the jug line I use.
395034822_tLbUR-L.jpg

Time to wrap up the climb. Poor Kelsey is clearing the last line while everybody waits around.
395034906_aRwTS-L.jpg

This is by far my most adventurous trip in a long time. Kelsey and John are great teachers and fun to be around. Hopefully, I get to join them again in one of their future adventures.

Cuong
"She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I love the IR of the rocks! Perfect!

The first two frames are my favorite!

I know that I didn't have a chance to spend much time with you, and hopefully, we'll meet up in the future.

Did you have fun?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    ...Did you have fun?
    Thanks. It was plenty of fun hanging out with these guys. I'm sure we'll have other chances to meet up.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Heya!

These are the first infared shots I think I have ever seen. Awesome Job Cuong! You have some really nice angles and did a good job of moving the camera around to get those angles. Thanks for coming it was great having you and your wife join us for that day and the next.

395034149_QhExm-L.jpg

This is my favorite!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    These are awesome Cuong! I've never seen IR climbing shots either, it's something I think I need to work with sometime. Nice work, you seem to have taken to the climbing photography really well. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    These are awesome Cuong! I've never seen IR climbing shots either, it's something I think I need to work with sometime. Nice work, you seem to have taken to the climbing photography really well. thumb.gif
    Thanks, John. It's my first time seeing IR climbing shots too, thanks to you and Kelsey. Hopefully, there'll be more in the future.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    I'm slowly getting through my images from the shootout. Here's one of John (ColdClimb) modeling for me in living colors.
    399646265_bT3gC-XL.jpg

Cuong
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    A couple shots of Kelsey (Prezwoodz) in action:

1. Reaching for the next handhold.
    401155688_uiGJn-XL.jpg

2. Defying gravity.
    401155919_ugJ7x-L.jpg

Cuong
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    A couple more, that I like, of Kelsey reaching the top:
    401964413_y75L4-XL.jpg

2. I know this one my boot is in the frame, but I haven't had time to clone it out.
    401964558_thgss-XL.jpg

I'm running out of rock climbing shots. I'm calling for help from Ivar, Leah, Matt, Nick, Steph, and Travis to share your shots here.

Cuong
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    2. I know this one my boot is in the frame, but I haven't had time to clone it out.

Another thing we'd have taught given more time is pulling up your own rope and hauling it around with you, so it never interferes with your shot either. Great shot though!thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    brek81brek81 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2008
    great shots, the IR really 'pops' the definition of the rocks
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    Another thing we'd have taught given more time is pulling up your own rope and hauling it around with you, so it never interferes with your shot either. Great shot though!thumb.gif
    Thanks, John. I'll keep that in mind the next time.

Brek81, thanks for the comment.

Cuong
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    I'm running out of rock climbing shots. I'm calling for help from Ivar, Leah, Matt, Nick, Steph, and Travis to share your shots here.

Cuong

I posted! check out the thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=108437
    //Leah
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Thanks, John. I'll keep that in mind the next time.

Brek81, thanks for the comment.

Cuong

Also, never get your naval pierced two days before rock climbing.

nuff said. (in case anyone wondered why I didn't go up a 2nd time.... f'ing OW)
    //Leah