Options

Alberta U18 National Champions

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 16, 2008 in Sports
Or...why I missed Shootout08!

So, my son's team won provincials this year and with that came the priviledge of competing in Nationals as Alberta's representative. The tournament ran Wednesday through today, a stat holiday in Canada (Thanksgiving).
Alberta faced tough competition in their pool, but came through the 4 qualifying games undefeated. Today, they faced Quebec, winner of the other pool. The game was very competitive and ended up in overtime - 30 minutes of nail biting. Finally, Alberta scored with 4 minutes remaining in the overtime. Had they not scored, or scored and given up a goal, the game would have been decided by penalty shots! As a keepers mom, this is not a good way to end a game!

So, for now, may I present the 2008 Gold Medal Champs: Alberta (Edmonton Southwest United):
393769822_fCAep-L.jpg

The Alberta (Calgary Foothills) girls also won gold:
393770444_3FL4X-L.jpg

And, (proud mom moment) my son won the goalkeeping award (fewest goals/most time played in the tournament - he played 3 games and allowed 1 goal).
393766734_7qikx-M.jpg

Much to my surprise, he was also named game MVP
393767966_9UyHG-M.jpg

Sony sponsored this tournament, and were very generous!

Action shots to follow at some point!
(10 gig today!)

ann

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    Great news, Ann!

Looking forward to viewing the rest when you get through them.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Oh wow! That's fantastic news! Sounds like a terrific trade-off for missing the shootout. Congrats to your family and the teams! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Give the kid our Congrat's.

I thought the kid was a great athlete, but now I find out he's a net minder. I'll give him credit for staying awake while the game's going on.:D
    When I was a kid, playing Broomball or Hockey, I always played the nets also. I passed this down to one of my Nephews, who did Ok in highschool.
    Even though you missed the shootout, it sounds to me like you didn't miss a thing.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Great news, Ann!

Looking forward to viewing the rest when you get through them.

Thanks, David! Hopefully it won't take me too long to process the 20 or so gigs of shots! Nervous shutter syndrome!

ann
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh wow! That's fantastic news! Sounds like a terrific trade-off for missing the shootout. Congrats to your family and the teams! clap.gif

Thanks, Elaine! It was wonderful. Great (really great) way to top off his youth soccer!

ann
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    davev

Ya know when you are keeper, you are either the hero or the goat! And you need a "special mindset" to play there....

I was exactly where I needed to be, that is for sure!

See you next year!

ann
    davev wrote:
    Give the kid our Congrat's.

I thought the kid was a great athlete, but now I find out he's a net minder. I'll give him credit for staying awake while the game's going on.:D
    When I was a kid, playing Broomball or Hockey, I always played the nets also. I passed this down to one of my Nephews, who did Ok in highschool.
    Even though you missed the shootout, it sounds to me like you didn't miss a thing.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    What a great experience and it sounds like this was it for his "youth" level playing? Way to go out in flying colors! wings.gif

Can't wait to see the action shots. I know you'll have done the team proud.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Congratulations
    Being the father of an son who played Keeper.. I understand how much your stomach gets tied in KNOTS..

Overtime shoot outs you want to get sick.. But the boys keep playing..

The mindset is completely different , knowing that they played every play correctly,

But Congrats. looking forward to the MANY pics you took.

Hank
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    What a great experience and it sounds like this was it for his "youth" level playing? Way to go out in flying colors! wings.gif

Can't wait to see the action shots. I know you'll have done the team proud.

C.

Hi Colleen

Yep, this was the crowning or grande finale. He is now attending the University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering and not playing this season. (As are 2 others on that team, 3 or 4 in Sciences, etc.)

I have a younger son still playing so I won't be in complete withdrawal. Not so for some of the other parents that have been avid supporters like me all these years!

Thanks, Colleen for looking.

ann
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Being the father of an son who played Keeper.. I understand how much your stomach gets tied in KNOTS..

Overtime shoot outs you want to get sick.. But the boys keep playing..

The mindset is completely different , knowing that they played every play correctly,

But Congrats. looking forward to the MANY pics you took.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Goalies are a special breed, and I think their parents are even more so...eek7.gif

ann