Options

Mesa Arch, Canyonlands NP, Utah - Shootout '08

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited November 3, 2008 in Landscapes
Here is a shot at sunrise of Mesa Arch also capturing some of the valley below in the early morning light. If you look closely you can see that there are actually two arches in this shot. One is in the closest tower on the left in the valley which is Washer Woman Arch.

More of my shots from Shootout '08 can be seen in the following gallery: New Photo Gallery

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the image for EXIF data.

Sunrise through Mesa Arch in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park, Utah (October 2008)

392831625_47G3m-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. I hope that you enjoyed the view.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    Thanks for looking. I hope that you enjoyed the view.

That's a great perspective on the arch! Nice colors as well. I also have a shot from the arch, but haven't processed it yet.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Fantastic shot! Having the top and bottom foreground elements really help frame it AND give a sense of perspective and scale, great composition.
  • Options
    ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Yes, I enjoy the view. Great shot, thanks for posting.clap.gif
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Great photo of a truly remarkable place !!

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Well Dixie....you should know by now I always enjoy your shots.....even if all you do is push a button...Laughing.gif...NOT. Nice shot!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    The only thing that could be said about this shot is WOW!clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Very nice Dixie. I missed shooting Mesa Arch and now I want to go back. :D I also checked the rest of your gallery and you are a master of wildlife photography. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    slrshooterslrshooter Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Very nice shot.
    Norm (SLRShooter)
    Nikon shooter since 1965
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Beautiful!!! Amazing light and the best part are the transitions of strong reds to pale pinks and oranges.

Looks like it was worth the wait, or the squeeze, or whatever the crowd was like that day. I never got to Mesa arch because the description scared me. :D
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Dixie - There are always great images here but few I'd ever want to hang on my wall. However, this is one of them. Great light and detail.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Great shot Dixie.

I kept going for the wide overall view. I can see now that I should have tried a few like this one.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Thanks one and all. ...as to the framing - sometimes you luck into it based on the circumstances. There were a few DGs there, but most of the people weren't with our group. Still we were all locking and over-lapping tripod legs. I think that one of the more interesting shots would have been from behind the solid wall of photographers all jockeying for space infront of the arch. The line started out some distance from the arch opening, but with everyone trying for a better position we ended up with a solid line of photographers just mere feet from the opening and lala land.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    Thanks one and all. ...as to the framing - sometimes you luck into it based on the circumstances. There were a few DGs there, but most of the people weren't with our group. Still we were all locking and over-lapping tripod legs. I think that one of the more interesting shots would have been from behind the solid wall of photographers all jockeying for space infront of the arch. The line started out some distance from the arch opening, but with everyone trying for a better position we ended up with a solid line of photographers just mere feet from the opening and lala land.

Hey Dixie,

I did hear this from Nick, that space was a valuable commodity at Mesa, which turned me off of going there. Which is a real shame because it's such a perfect shot! Glad it worked out well for you. Actually, it seems the whole park presented some of its best sides to you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Splendid !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Dixie,

I did hear this from Nick, that space was a valuable commodity at Mesa, which turned me off of going there. Which is a real shame because it's such a perfect shot! Glad it worked out well for you. Actually, it seems the whole park presented some of its best sides to you. thumb.gif

Thanks, schmoo. I shouldn't have changed lenses there. I had to clean some bad sand bunnies off the sensor from the new D50 - self-cleaning couldn't handle some of the ones I picked up that morning. I really wonder how the three guys who were out there with Hasselbad H3Ds faired. That is some really expensive equipment to use under the conditions we had that morning. The sand was blowing straight into us from within the arch itself. All-in-all, I would do it again - however, not on a weekend. You probably wouldn't have to fight as hard for a good position during the work week, but Saturday was really crowded.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Splendid !

Thank you.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie