Options

Falling in love with the music, a city and the River of Mud

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 27, 2008 in Journeys
New Orleans. Nawlins. The Big Easy. A place I haven't visited in almost a decade, and visited at the wrong time of my life. This repeat visit was, as we tell everyone, long overdue. My husband was a regular here in his more formidable days before we met, but of course neither of us have been there since the city was damaged and rebuilt and we have certainly never been here together.

I'm not sure what took so long. We packed our things, sent the dog to the slammer and even at the last minute extended our vacation from a weekend to five days. Hey what's the point of working from home if you never really take advantage of it? :D

We stayed at a lovely little B&B on Bourbon Street in the Marigny, far enough away from the noise and tourists to have perfect quiet but within walking distance of anything we cared to see. Best of all the proprietors didn't actually live in the house so for the most part we had the entire place to ourselves. Nice.

Trav was awesome and arranged for a package to be waiting for us (me) when we arrived. Two lenses for me (us) to play with! That coupled with an IR modded Rebel that a friend loaned to me, there was no way the week could go wrong.

Of course the first night I didn't really care much for photos. It was hot. So hot when we walked off the plane, the humidity hit me in the face like a wet wall. We didn't even make it to the restaurant that we were recommended, and instead ducked into the first place that we found. It was a great gamble, though. Beautiful young arteests inside, spicy Thai food in our bellies and outside the window a chorus of the most jubilant, carefree locals I ain't never seen.

Bare feet, smiles, accordians, skateboards, jump ropes. This is New Orleans on a Friday night, eh?

372186088_HWQyZ-L.jpg

372193078_Dnjr9-L.jpg

372188010_ynkpY-L.jpg

The next morning was, of course, spent watching tourists and locals over coffee and beignets at the Cafe du Monde. All of my knowledge of New Orleans comes from reading books and they're never wrong. Except for the burning question: How many locals actually eat here?

The servers are busy but tired. Floating in a sea of ever-changing imported requests.

374821502_myiNm-L.jpg

We walked. And walked and walked and shot and walked some more. He showed me where he used to perform on the stones in Jackson Square. Oh how much we change!

372183837_jpxKn-L.jpg

We managed to have a bit of sun and sky, too.

376693977_a28ek-L.jpg

Even after night fell, we were out and walking, walking. We had a lovely dinner at Muriel's and the streets take on such a different atmosphere when the sun goes down.

372512581_2PBNP-L.jpg

Sunday was my last day of full freedom, so we took advantage of it and the sun. I can never stop looking at the majestic houses, all battered and old but still with the gorgeous colors of the south. Greenery poking from everywhere, such a lovely sight even in the recent ruin of Gustav:

374822117_NuU4e-L.jpg

374821788_GUmDL-L.jpg

The South passes around hurricanes like a hot potato.

375137036_RZDvg-L.jpg

374821952_Pehcx-L.jpg

We had only a few minutes in the St. Louis Cathedral because they were about to start Sunday Mass.

372503288_LdqH9-L.jpg

... however the streets around Jackson Square are no less boring, to me. Every lamppost and every wall tells a story. To me. Who did they see? What do they do in those corners in the rare moments of quiet?

378425907_4sHKV-L.jpg

374862763_R7GPN-L.jpg

Sunday as usual in the city:

374862915_pH6xn-L.jpg

375487134_3dB7K-L.jpg

And other semi-religious experiences:

378425806_zqLbt-L.jpg

You cannot be in the French Quarter without stopping in a bar or two. Trav had a special connection with this dive, and its doorman greeted everyone with the appropriate attitude:

378426111_a9MFW-L.jpg

Nawlins kitsch, I guess!

378426325_5HBqh-L.jpg

There are dogs everywhere. Dogs with the "Whatever" attitude that the people have, as well. There is, of course, absolutely nothing wrong with this. The youngsters have a little bit more zest in them than the jaded elders, though:

378426495_cdxom-L.jpg

I bought a pair of awesome boots off of these punks. They fascinate me, city to city and street to street. They are all the same and yet each very different.

378426738_HPM4d-L.jpg

378427334_gw9cb-L.jpg

I do not quite know why New Orleans has such beautiful shadows. Even in midday the shadows creep across the walls in a way that reminds me of golden autumn in the northeast:

378427055_XgjBe-L.jpg

373548444_DyrvE-L.jpg

Of course I had to do at least one tilt-shift pano. The shadow of the savior on the back of the cathedral is captivating, especially as it made me freeze in my tracks when walking down the neon glare of Bourbon St.

373520844_SdAei-L.jpg

And if this post isn't long enough, no visit to New Orleans is complete without a trip to a cemetery. We ended up at the wrong one but we found treasures inside there, regardless. It was quite an adventure, getting there, getting in, getting back.

374277021_iYDBz-L.jpg

378427427_7c9BF-L.jpg

378427640_aixBA-L.jpg

I'm one lucky girl. What a great city, and what a great way to spend a week. Thanks for being there, NOLA.

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    thanks for the trip, very nice series!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    and as usual great eye !!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    Sheesh Schmoo.... I have stared at this for at least 20 minutes, and read everything twice. You nearly( I'll never tell) choked me up with such beautiful imagery in both text and pixels. It is often interesting to see how someone else captures a place that is dear to you. Will they overlook an important detail...or zero in on something that is not the norm and that the locals indeed find to be alien? Will they understand and recognize the essense of what makes it what it is?

The photographs are exceptional. All of them really...are thoughtful portraits of a city. You captured her well. Hats Off....bowdown.gif They could stand well enough on their own...

..but...

Your storytelling takes it to an entirely different level.

Thank you for sharing these (I checked daily since the du Monde post in "people") they were definately worth the wait. And thank you for being such a compassionate alert soul behind you camera.

Made my day!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    You are actually a travel-photojournalist, right?

Fab photos and words. Fab. U. Lous!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    Enjoyed your imagery as well as the travelogue... brought back some fond memories! thumb.gif

Winston
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    Despite making our New Orleans pictures all seem like crayon scribbles now, thanks for sharing those! clap.gif
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    get stuff, I really enjoyed your little photo story.
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    Wow, these are really really beautiful! You truly have a photographer's eye. I've been to NO once and was so overwhelmed that all I managed to produce were really crappy tourist shots - now I want to go back headscratch.gif!
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited September 24, 2008
    I was waiting to hear your take on this wonderful city.

Beaut thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sheesh Schmoo.... I have stared at this for at least 20 minutes, and read everything twice. You nearly( I'll never tell) choked me up with such beautiful imagery in both text and pixels. It is often interesting to see how someone else captures a place that is dear to you. Will they overlook an important detail...or zero in on something that is not the norm and that the locals indeed find to be alien? Will they understand and recognize the essense of what makes it what it is?

The photographs are exceptional. All of them really...are thoughtful portraits of a city. You captured her well. Hats Off....bowdown.gif They could stand well enough on their own...

..but...

Your storytelling takes it to an entirely different level.

Thank you for sharing these (I checked daily since the du Monde post in "people") they were definately worth the wait. And thank you for being such a compassionate alert soul behind you camera.

Made my day!

Thanks everyone, and that means a lot to me, Jeff! From a local as well as a fantastic photographer, it really really does. I'm sorry we weren't able to meet up before we left -- I knew you were somewhere in the general quadrant of the country but I didn't know it was only an hour out of NOLA. :D It may be a while but I know I'll be back and we'll do something then, yes?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    So beautiful
    Love your style of photos and use of fisheye makes me want to purchase one !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    So beautiful
    Love your style of photos and use of fisheye makes me want to purchase one !
    Thanks and Awais if you ever get a chance to even borrow one I highly recommend it. It only does one trick, but it's a very very fun trick.

Just for kicks I thought I'd post some of the SmugShots I took that week, too.

Totally cheating on the China Study diet:
    371520297_A2zZH-L.jpg

Crescent City Brewhouse
    371578181_Saqgf-L.jpg

Only a sample of our gear:
    372300470_CQERx-L.jpg

This is from the restaurant that gave me food poisoning, but these two very old ladies were having such a great time, they just made me smile. I'd love to have friendships that solid and that long-lasting, and I hope to have that many laughs when I am their age:
    372558568_M4Cgr-L.jpg

I still haven't taken the snapshots off my point & shoot!
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    great photo's and nice capture of the atmosphere and mood of the city! thanks! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks everyone, and that means a lot to me, Jeff! From a local as well as a fantastic photographer, it really really does. I'm sorry we weren't able to meet up before we left -- I knew you were somewhere in the general quadrant of the country but I didn't know it was only an hour out of NOLA. :D It may be a while but I know I'll be back and we'll do something then, yes?

Absolutely...

You might also want to research St. Francisville, LA. It is 45 minutes or so north of Baton Rouge and is a wonderful, quaint, historical town. Some really great archetecture there, and many antebellum plantation homes that offer tours. B & B's abound. Probably the most famous of these is The Myrtles which is alledgedly haunted. Mossy oaks, wrought iron, and greek revival.....what more could a camera want?:D

It is an entirely different atmosphere than New Orleans though.

Edit: to say that I just saw the phone pics. I think it is prohibited by law to diet here anyway! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Absolutely...

You might also want to research St. Francisville, LA. It is 45 minutes or so north of Baton Rouge and is a wonderful, quaint, historical town. Some really great archetecture there, and many antebellum plantation homes that offer tours. B & B's abound. Probably the most famous of these is The Myrtles which is alledgedly haunted. Mossy oaks, wrought iron, and greek revival.....what more could a camera want?:D

It is an entirely different atmosphere than New Orleans though.

Edit: to say that I just saw the phone pics. I think it is prohibited by law to diet here anyway! rolleyes1.gif
    The south is a place I've never really visited before - but mainly because of the heat and humidity. I don't deal well with either. But it sounds beautiful, haunted or not. So much history and greenery and the food rocks!

I do imagine that New Orleans is really not a true depiction of the South. For one thing it's so full of tourists. My husband and I never really plan our trips mostly because neither of us have a real interest in doing "tourist" stuff. We kind of just wake up in the morning and whatever happens, happens. So doing things off the beaten path are totally up our alley.

Anyway OT I forgot to mention that I really liked your Photography Corner interview. WTG! I've also been reading up on your Speedlite-on-a-Stick technique since I'm a n00b with shooting events in dark places. (And I just got a 580EX, PWs and an ST-E2.) Great stuff! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Ohhhh, wow! Dang it, Steph, you have a wonderful rich collection of eye candy here! Of course, you prose goes a long long way to embellish the feel as well.

I really love the fish eye shot of you and Travis!

Thanks. Maybe one day New Orleans will get checked from my bucket list too!

Ann
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    Nice series, I like the cat reading the paper shot.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    SCHMOOOOOOOOOO!

I have to say, I've always admired your shooting, writing and the combination of those (and I'm secretly hoping that some of it will rub of on me when we are taking our road-trip :D).

Great shots, as expected and usual. Some extra special ones, to me:
    376693977_a28ek-Th.jpg
    I love it. Period.

378425907_4sHKV-Th.jpg
    This is is awesome. It looks like such a simple 'normal' photo at first, but if you look at it closely, there is so much to see and look at. Great stones on the road, and what could be around the corner is intriguing to me.

378426495_cdxom-Th.jpg
    I love this, because there seems to be so much character in their faces. There are so many stories that could go with this photo, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, again. And Ann I certainly hope you get to go to New Orleans too, sometime. I promise that if you do, it'll be a long time until you feel cold again lol3.gif
    ivar wrote:
    I have to say, I've always admired your shooting, writing and the combination of those (and I'm secretly hoping that some of it will rub of on me when we are taking our road-trip :D).
    Haha! You flatter me. I am very very sure that you'll have more than enough to say by the end of that week. I promise. And if not, well the solution is always one of two things: sushi or Mexican food. :ivar
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    After deliberate consideration
    Wow, nice job.
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    What a great group of snapshots. They are beautiful and show many facets of NO. I really enjoy your narrative, too.
  • Options
    ArtPhotographyArtPhotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    Your photographs are beautiful. You captured the fun and the life in the city, and that's what really brings your photographs to life for me. Great work!
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Fantastic photos, as usual. thumb.gif I wish I had your eye for street photography.