• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Journeys Road Trippin' "This time, its personal."

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 5  of  7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Old Nov-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Prezwoodz is offline Prezwoodz OP
Alaska Grinnin
Hello again! In our blazing through the US we keep hitting states we have never been to and figure we had better get some climbing done! We visited some friends of John and Tracy's and then head off to Mount Magazine for some climbing. Mt. Magazine is the highest point in Arkansas. We climbed a few routes and really enjoyed the peacefulness of the area.
John climbs a 5.10b called Nymphomaniac

Since we are always on the lookout for wildlife a stick bug was spotted! He was a very colorful guy with red down his back. Tracy, always the bug and animal connoisseur, stayed and kept him company.

The view from the climbs was really nice with red tree's and a lake off in the distance. We started climbing at 3pm this day so we didn't get a whole lot of climbing done but it was enough to satisfy.

Climbing hardware in the rock.

The cliffs at sunset.

On the walk back I found this guy waiting for bugs and the sun.

Beautiful sunsets over the hills of Arkansas.

Sunset and the lodge at Mt. Magazine.
Old Nov-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Alaska Grinnin
We drove on to Oklahoma and ended up there in the middle of the night at Robbers Cave looking for a place to sleep. After driving around for a while, and being followed by idiots leaning out their window screaming and looking like....idiots, we found a great place down by a lake to sleep.

We awoke and drove to the climbing area and by the time I came up to John he yelled, "Ive climbed 3 routes!". He didn't have a rope on which lead me to believe that the routes were generally easy. From that point on we went on a soloing frenzy and climbed 14 routes up to 5.11c, Tracy brought the ropes out once so that we wouldn't feel we brought all the gear for nothing. Turning the place into our own climbing gym.

Richard tops out on this nice easy 5.6

John found another 5.6 that was overhanging where you climb these pockets with thick card holds.

Everyone gets in on the binge.

John climbed this 5.9 in style.

Tracy has been wanting to do an aid climb for quite some time so we got her on a crack here.

Testing her placements.

Making funny Joker faces.

And putting gear in places it just does not belong. She lowered off of this!

This is the gear we brought which we ended up not using except for one single aid climb.

The area is full of all kinds of life.

Should we wake him up?....

Okay so he was already awake. We were just having fun with this Tarantula that John found. Even Tracy got in on the fun.

After playing with the spiders we hopped in the car and drove our way to Texas where we are picking up Shasta and heading to Mexico!! Yay!
Old Nov-08-2008, 03:36 PM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezwoodz

After playing with the spiders we hopped in the car and drove our way to Texas where we are picking up Shasta and heading to Mexico!! Yay!
I love that you guys get up close and personal with the critters - just promise me you'll be a bit less "friendly" when you visit Oz!

Old Nov-08-2008, 07:21 PM
BradfordBenn is offline BradfordBenn
Constantly Amazed
Way cool!

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
Old Nov-09-2008, 08:50 PM
rokklym is offline rokklym
lonewolfexpeditions.com
Such a wicked road trip! One question, how are you carrying that 20D around when your climbing?
We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
- George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
Old Nov-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Tentacion is offline Tentacion
Click On !
Thank you for taking me on your journey and your subtitles (fabulous sense of humor)...I REALLY ENJOYED it....but I think I will keep my feet on the ground and keep to fun hiking...

I loved the photos with the caves and streams...and true that photo of you guys in the hole could have been a cover!!

AWESOME thank you!!

Donna P.
One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
Old Nov-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Tentacion is offline Tentacion
Click On !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezwoodz
At the shootout Marc told us about arranging images in Photomerge that really don't fit together and seeing what we could come up with. I really liked the idea and gave it a shot and here is what I came up with.

Looked interesting anyway. :)
I love this.........
One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
Old Nov-11-2008, 12:14 PM
griffon is offline griffon
Big grins
This is one epic trip to read about, and awesome that you're able to share it through photos. Hope you continue to have a great time and stay safe.
Old Nov-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Alaska Grinnin
Hello again! Its been a little while since I have posted mostly because its hard to find internet sometimes in Mexico! So heres a post to catch everyone up!

Thanks much for all your replies! I love getting online and seeing what others have to say about our odd adventures.

rokklym - I have a waistpack on with my big camera and two lenses in it. It often gets heavy and in the way!

Tentacion - Glad you enjoy my photo's! I like the photomerge odd shot as well. I liked it too!

DoctorIt - We will just make sure to check which ones are poisionous first...

griffon - Thanks for the well wishes, we need them on our way home through the snow!

And now to Texas!

We were driving into Texas to pick up Shasta who decided to come to Mexico with us! First we stopped in Waco, Texas for lunch.

I saw some underground tunnel areas which looked inviting but they were covered with fence.

and there were some ugly birds...

in uglier places...

In walking back to our cooking area on a park bench I found a nice little memorial.

We stopped by the Alamo in San Antonio for historical effect and found the area quite closed.

It was neat to see the wall where bullets were fired in the Mexican- American War.

The scenery seemed to continously improve as we continued along toward Mexico.

I don't know the history behind this but this giant tree was in the courtyard at the Alamo.

After cruising the mall for a restroom and finding a river flowing through the center we continued our trek toward Mexico!

Last edited by Prezwoodz; Nov-16-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Alaska Grinnin
And then we come to the goodies!

We made our way to El Potrero Chico in Northern Mexico and walked our way to Virgin Canyon and began climbing. Shasta and I didn't know what we were getting on when we climbed our first climb and it ended up being the most difficult climb that Shasta had ever done. And quite the workout for me!!

Climbing the second pitch the The Flamingo Wall (5.8,5.8,5.11c/d)

The first two pitches were really easy. Then we came to the hard stuff. Not knowing what I was getting into this successfully took me by surprise! Shasta followed in style.

Its a long way down.

John and Tracy were next to us on a different wall climbing Blind Faith, (5.11a 3 pitch)

Shasta Nears the crux of the climb into harder territory then she had ever attempted...and she doesn't even know it.

Pulling hard sometimes just takes gritting the teeth.

And hoping everything sticks!

We finished the climb and went down to Join John and Tracy as they finished up their climb.
Old Nov-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Alaska Grinnin
We took a few days off to enjoy Hidalgo and check out the market and then made our way back to climbing on Supernova, an 8 pitch 5.11a.

Shasta spent some time following but also lead on this climb and did really well.

John and Tracy climbed below us.

and sometimes caught up quickly. John pulls a lieback move on a 5.9 portion of the climb.

Hauling camera and all.

I was leading the final pitch when something unexpected happened!! Can you see what is wrong with this photo?

How about this guy?! I was climbing up and he was directly underneath my stomach before I even noticed him! Almost got me.

So I had to climb past him..wonder where he was on the route?

Yup I was that close.

I then hooked some caribiners together and tried to scare him off the area so that everyone could follow me up and when I was going in he took of down the climb. I yelled "Here he comes!!! And the snake fell 8 feet from Shasta after flying through the air much to her surprise. She would later in the same spot find a giant Centipede. I love Mexico!!

Last edited by Prezwoodz; Nov-16-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old Nov-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Alaska Grinnin
Our next climbing day brought us to the Spires. They are two beautiful hunks of rock sticking out of the side of the mountain. Shasta and I climbed one side while John and Tracy climbed the other with hopes of getting some pictures.

Shasta tops out on the second pitch of the route on our tower.

Its all good times and great laughs on this climbing trip. Tracy summits the smaller tower.

Once we finished with our towers we switched so we could get up the smaller tower as well. This tower included a great move which brought you out over into exposurland.!

John belays Tracy on the other tower and looks quite serene on his pedestal.

Shasta nearing the summit. She did incredibly well!

Even the rappel off the towers as great!

I spent the day making stitches as well! Most of them required some effort to put together and a few anomlies exist that I will probably work out later.
This is from the summit of the first climb called Crack Test Dummies, 5.9

Tracy climbing up to John on the summit of the smaller tower with El Toro and the Outrage Wall in the background.

That was it for that day. An awesome time!
Old Nov-17-2008, 01:58 PM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Oustanding!

Never really thought of Mexico as a climbing destination... And good work on spotting the snake. Those skills will pay off when you visit Oz someday (although there's not much to climb here)!

Old Nov-17-2008, 05:01 PM
coldclimb is offline coldclimb
Outside the Lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Oustanding!

Never really thought of Mexico as a climbing destination... And good work on spotting the snake. Those skills will pay off when you visit Oz someday (although there's not much to climb here)!
Oz is certainly on my list for the future! There may be more climbing there than you think, I know I've seen some incredible pictures out of the Grampians...
Old Nov-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Alaska Grinnin
So it was time to head back to Texas...however Shasta and I were not going without one last good route! For that we chose a route called Dope Ninja, a 6 pitch 5.10b. We woke early racked up and headed to the climb. It was on the opposite side of the canyon of the Spires so I got a nice shot of them.

This route had a little bit of everything including a long traverse pitch. Here Shasta follows.

Now I don't know if I am the only one who knows where this is from but as I was climbing I couldn't help but repeat this over and over again... " GO Ninja Go Ninja Go...go..go ninja go ninja go. Have you ever seen a turtle get down??"

There were also climbers on the other side of the valley going up some classics.

No falls on this climb for Shasta.

And she even lead the last pitch which pushed her pretty far but she did really well.

Then we rappelled the route ran down to the bungalow got all our stuff and headed to the bus. Hours later we were in America once again and continuing our trip in the Kia.
Old Nov-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Alaska Grinnin
After Texas we were driving around and were not being impressed. Honestly I can't figure just what is bigger in Texas?! So we drove to New Mexico for Carlsbad instead.

I didn't quite know what to think about it but it was pretty amazing. The size of the cave is hard to imagine unless standing there and I am pretty sure my pictures of rocks in a dark room just wont convey. However, I hope they are enjoyed!

As with most caves the entrance begins with a large dark hole, paved, and bricked for pleasure.

Once in the cave you quickly come to the bat cave. A large dark cave section where the bat guano reaches 40ft. thick!

I told John, "I am going to flip this upside down and its going to look like the Disney Cathedral!"

They had light all over this cave which did not make it seem easy to photograph. It really gives different perspectives throughout the shooting however.

This was called the Whales Mouth. I didn't see any krill running for their lives but it was a beautiful sight.

The cave was made of gorgeous crystals.

Some stalagmites seem to defy gravity. Tracy gives a sense of scale to this beast.

Thousands of years ago a 200,000 ton rock fell from the ceiling and is now called Iceberg rock.

No area of the room goes without a feature. Everything has something hanging from it or something growing up to it.

Some of the formations on the walls were beautifully created by nature in a way that only rock candy could replicate.

Rooms spit off in all directions at the Big Room which is the size of 6 football fields.

I saw an Ansel Adams photo of these rocks in the visitor center and was propelled to attempt the recreation.

I'll take a side of Stabby Mcstab Stab...and some onion rings.

The beauty of the room is hard to fathom when one can look at all directions and see things which appear to be not of this earth. It is with a difficult realization that I find myself standing beneath things of another world under the earth.

Mirror Lake

Delicate layers of limestone create blankets in the sky.

I did a large stitch of the big room and although difficult I liked how it came out.

We walked out of the cave and back into the heat, it was hard to imagine that we were back above the surface. I highly recommend the caves to anyone who has the time.

Last edited by Prezwoodz; Nov-18-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old Nov-18-2008, 07:47 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
I like the pano of the cave. That is very cool and captures what the place feels like.
Old Nov-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Alaska Grinnin
Sometimes it seems like we get to a lot of places in a short amount of time. This last week seems like a constant flood of images which take a long time and a lot of effort to edit. We just keep looking at our photo's and taking more and more and more and well it seems we just can't help it! SO heres some more!

First I managed a 360 degree stitch of El Potrero Chico. Why did it take me so long? Well it is a stitch of 75 images. The largest I have ever done!

After Carlsbad we drove to Roswell and I don't think I got any images. Oh well I knew we would get some soon as we drove to White Sands National Monument. It was my first trip to sand dunes and they were quite amazing.

We walked onto the dunes and found ourselves blinded by the pure white sand. The dunes are the largest formation of Gypsum sand dunes in the world.

And they are vast!

Some of the areas you could tell is where the water would be if there was any. If you dug up the sand an inch you would find it wet in all these areas.

It behaved as snow in more then one way. Here mini avalanches occur as the dune pushes to a steep edge.

Getting to the top of the dunes was no easy task at times.

Getting down was usually a lot faster. John leaps for the moon.

Tracy enjoys herself on one of the dunes.

These odd formations were bushes or tree's as they may be called which had hardened the gypsum into large piles which were crumbling.

There were a great many things which had John leaping for Joy.

The dunes sometimes felt as though they would go forever. We did the Alkali Flats Walk which is 4.6 miles.

Leaving my mark

Mini sand dunes in formation.

The desert can be a harsh place.

Beautiful as well, sometimes it seems as though nothing can make smooth formulaic shapes as the wind.

We only saw one Yucca on our way (at least I believe it is Yucca).

So I took two pictures of it.

I wanted to take one photo which I saw in my mind as black and white but I couldn't find one. I had to settle for a picture of the moon instead.

Now were headed off to climb in New Mexico before going on to Arizona!
Old Nov-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Alaska Grinnin
So I feel I have been going lighter and lighter on the amount of writing I do into my posts. That is probably because of the amount of pictures which we have been taking! I will however try and be better and write a bit more into the posts.

One of the missions on this trip is to climb in every state we can. Sometimes we all get into the mood not climbing because of things which can wear you down while traveling as we have been. One of those instances where you can get worn down is trying to find a campsite. Believe it or not most of Texas is a farm. Okay, so its just what we saw but we traveled all over and could not for the life of us find a camping spot! Eventually I found one (at 6am) which was located above the road under some powerlines. Shasta and I had to remove several animal skulls and other bones from the flat area before we put our tent down. Normally this would bother some but we were asleep before we closed our tent as was evidence by the open door in the morning. Driving is the most exhausting stationary thing I have found. We woke up and dropped of Shasta and I tried all that I could to find a 3lb burger. I heard everything was bigger in Texas and I wanted to find out. No luck. Finally as we were driving in the night again looking for a campsite it was a cumulative "Lets blow this cowboy stand and go to New Mexico." We turned the car around right then and headed for Carlsbad Caverns. Those pictures and White Sands I have already posted. Which brings us to the decision of climbing in New Mexico. After spending roughtly 7 hours at a 24 hour Jack in the Box we drove to the Rough and Ready Hills to tick off another climbing area. When you find something in a climbing guide that says "Follow the Rough Road" take that as "Bring a lift kit." After a night of sleep in the car we walked up a short hike to a beautiful crag in the mountains. One of the main attractions to this crag is that it was quiet. Nobody was going to end up at that road on accident.
John was the first to climb and after a few routes I pulled out my camera. I wonder sometimes if I really need to take pictures or if I am just recording my life in another way because I'm afraid I'll forget it? Either way I have taken 5300 photo's just on this trip and I am still reaching for the camera bag.

The desert is a much different entity then Alaska. Sometimes I find myself staring out and thinking about the beauty of the landscape but having no idea what I am looking at. Climbing here is different because I have never put my hand in a climbing hold at home where when I extracted my hand it had cactus thorns in it. Luckily John avoided them on this climb.

Not all photograhers shoot the same. Some use special tools to advance their photography. Filters are one good example where you can change the color, polarity, or other fancy options. One of the lesser known tricks is Snaketry. It is one of the more advanced tools of photography and in the Snaketry class that John and I will be having we will show everyone this special trick. $1000, pay in advance only please.

And here is step two of the same ol' trick.

The way to find out if you have the proper snake for this tecnique is to lift the snake and look deep into its eyes. There you can tell if it has photography on the mind.

If you are lucky then your snake will also enjoy climbing. This opens and unlimited potential of vertical extremes. Caution: Snake is not load bearing.

After another special class with the snakes we headed back to the rock. Can't sit around talking with the animals forever. However if you go walking in the woods and scaling the rocks your bound to run into all types of unsavory characters. Take the common bee for example. One sting is enough to cause annoyance. The place you don't want to be is near a nest when that pheromone goes out that says "Everyone sting this persons rear end." Thats always an unlucky bum. So when approaching the house of a bee, say during a climb or something of the like, then it is always best to do so quietly.

Give a simple hello and realize that nobody wants to talk with you. Everyone does want to give you a buzz though so its always kind just to sit back and let it give you a full scan. There is no shortage of body gaurds for this house so we figured perhaps it was some one famous like King B.B. or Queen Latifah.

I looked in all corners of the place and marvelled at the worksmenship. They did a wonderful job of making the honeycomb I felt it was best to be on my way. I slowly put my camera away downclimbed back to the ground.

After a few more climbs I was thourougly beat and we decided to make our way to Arizona to see our grandparents. It is hard sometimes to leave climbing areas but much easier once you have found that you don't really hold on anymore no matter how much you yell at your fingertips. At the car we had a chat with a nice person. Never losing their cool even when losing their head.

And then it was into the car and off to Arizona. There's nothing pretty there through so I figure I probably wont even bring the camera out...after all, its only Sedona.
Old Nov-20-2008, 11:17 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
You have some unsavory friends in the cracks and crevasses of those climbs

The reflection in the eye of that snake is awesome.
Tell The World!