Options

help! I cannot Login to customize my page!

Andi NicoleAndi Nicole Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Ive been working alot on my page today and then it started out that I kept having to log in like everytime I updated my customization page and now it wont let me in at all. Email and password is indeed correct.

HELP!
Andi Nicole
www.andinicolephotography.com
"A day is lost if one has not laughed"

Comments

• Options
    Andi NicoleAndi Nicole Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    hmm
    Ive been working alot on my page today and then it started out that I kept having to log in like everytime I updated my customization page and now it wont let me in at all. Email and password is indeed correct.

HELP!

Weird.....I tried it again for the 10th time and I was able to get in....but it still kicks me off almost everytime I update. What do you think that could be?
    Andi Nicole
    www.andinicolephotography.com
    "A day is lost if one has not laughed"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Weird.....I tried it again for the 10th time and I was able to get in....but it still kicks me off almost everytime I update. What do you think that could be?
    We've increased security and require you to login on that page now as well.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    We've increased security and require you to login on that page now as well.

There's also something new in the control panel that doesn't seem to have anything to do with security that I have hit a bunch recently. If I open the control panel and leave it open, then go work on a bunch of customization stuff, maybe do a few other things, then come back to the customization page, paste in a few changes and hit Update, it will tell me that there was an error on my customizations and it won't take it. I have to go back and reload the customization screen in the control panel, paste in my changes and then it will take them.

I've now seen this probably ten times while working on my site in the last few days. There is some new programming check that is causing this and it has nothing to do with login because it doesn't make me login again before it works. Whatever it's trying to protect me from is ending up to be kind of annoying.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    jfriend wrote:
    There's also something new in the control panel that doesn't seem to have anything to do with security that I have hit a bunch recently. If I open the control panel and leave it open, then go work on a bunch of customization stuff, maybe do a few other things, then come back to the customization page, paste in a few changes and hit Update, it will tell me that there was an error on my customizations and it won't take it. I have to go back and reload the customization screen in the control panel, paste in my changes and then it will take them.

I've now seen this probably ten times while working on my site in the last few days. There is some new programming check that is causing this and it has nothing to do with login because it doesn't make me login again before it works. Whatever it's trying to protect me from is ending up to be kind of annoying.
    It is related to security. I'll double check the behavior to make sure its doing what its supposed to, but this may be expected behavior.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    It is related to security. I'll double check the behavior to make sure its doing what its supposed to, but this may be expected behavior.

If some sort of timeout of the open window is the expected behavior in the latest design, then it needs a lot more friendly explanation in the UI because all it says is that "An error occurred" with no advice on what's wrong or what you do to fix it. This is pretty much a cardinal sin in good UI design.

I find the behavior kind of obnoxious when doing significant javascript coding. I like to keep a customization window open, work on my JS in a real editor, paste it into the customization window and then test it. I frequently do lots of iterations. Now, everytime I take any sort of break or spend any significant time on it, the open customization window refuses to work anymore. I never used to have this problem. Do you intend for this workflow to no longer be supported?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    jfriend wrote:
    If some sort of timeout of the open window is the expected behavior in the latest design, then it needs a lot more friendly explanation in the UI because all it says is that "An error occurred" with no advice on what's wrong or what you do to fix it. This is pretty much a cardinal sin in good UI design.

I find the behavior kind of obnoxious when doing significant javascript coding. I like to keep a customization window open, work on my JS in a real editor, paste it into the customization window and then test it. I frequently do lots of iterations. Now, everytime I take any sort of break or spend any significant time on it, the open customization window refuses to work anymore. I never used to have this problem. Do you intend for this workflow to no longer be supported?
    I don't believe its time related. Like I said, I will look into the behavior.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Ok thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I've seen similar behavior on my customize page. When it gives me the error message, I just click the Update button a second time and then it accepts my changes.
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I think it is somehow time related. I was helping a friend customize her site this morning and after logging in to her customize page I made some changes. When I clicked the update button my changes were accepted. Then I left the customize page open while I did a few other things. When I came back later and tried to make more changes, I got sent to the login prompt again.

The customize page is definitely not as user friendly as it used to be.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:

To summarize, here's what I see that is different:
    1. When I go to the control panel, it requires me to login again. OK, this one is defensible as added security if I haven't just recently logged in, but it shouldn't prompt again if I've just recently logged in. It's not my preference for how it would work (I don't need this added security so it's just in my way), but I can live with it and understand your logic.
    2. After trying to go to the control panel and then being asked for login information, it takes me to a generic "what would you like to do now" screen after the login. This is very inappropriate. I've already expressed what I wanted to do - I wanted to go to the control panel. It should just take me there after the login with no intermediate screen. This, in my opinion, is either a bug or bad design. When I go to http://mail.yahoo.com, it asks me to login. After supplying my credentials and hitting OK, it just takes me to my mail. It doesn't take me to an intermediate screen and ask me where I want to go now. The control panel prompt should work the same way.
    3. Then, I finally get to the control panel. I can make a change and hit Update and it will work. If I then leave that window open for a little while and come back to it later, make another change and hit the Update button, I often get an error. The error just says there was a problem, with no other useful information. If I hit update again, it will usually take the update this time. This clearly seems like a bug. There's no reason that the first time I hit the button would give an error and the second would not.
    Similar conversation in this thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    To summarize, here's what I see that is different:
    1. When I go to the control panel, it requires me to login again. OK, this one is defensible as added security if I haven't just recently logged in, but it shouldn't prompt again if I've just recently logged in. It's not my preference for how it would work (I don't need this added security so it's just in my way), but I can live with it and understand your logic.
    2. After trying to go to the control panel and then being asked for login information, it takes me to a generic "what would you like to do now" screen after the login. This is very inappropriate. I've already expressed what I wanted to do - I wanted to go to the control panel. It should just take me there after the login with no intermediate screen. This, in my opinion, is either a bug or bad design. When I go to http://mail.yahoo.com, it asks me to login. After supplying my credentials and hitting OK, it just takes me to my mail. It doesn't take me to an intermediate screen and ask me where I want to go now. The control panel prompt should work the same way.
    3. Then, I finally get to the control panel. I can make a change and hit Update and it will work. If I then leave that window open for a little while and come back to it later, make another change and hit the Update button, I often get an error. The error just says there was a problem, with no other useful information. If I hit update again, it will usually take the update this time. This clearly seems like a bug. There's no reason that the first time I hit the button would give an error and the second would not.
    Similar conversation in this thread.

I'm seeing the same behavior (1, 2 & 3), and I echo jfriend's sentiments, especially #2. Wonder if you could explain the security enhancement a bit so we understand why we are required to login again to get to the customization screen. What was lacking in the security before? Certainly did seem more user friendly before.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    I'm seeing the same behavior (1, 2 & 3), and I echo jfriend's sentiments, especially #2. Wonder if you could explain the security enhancement a bit so we understand why we are required to login again to get to the customization screen. What was lacking in the security before? Certainly did seem more user friendly before.
    There's nothing really more we need to say about it, really - it's more secure now - and that's for your benefit thumb.gif

I'm really, really sorry that the extra login is causing so much hassle :(
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    There's nothing really more we need to say about it, really - it's more secure now - and that's for your benefit thumb.gif

Andy, are you saying that issues #2 and #3 are the way it's supposed to be? And that you don't think they should or could be improved?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding the issues. We all (at least in this thread) seem to be aware of the new login requirements for the customization page, but, as you have stated elsewhere, the requirement is supposed to be one new authentication per browser session. That doesn't explain the, for lack of a better term, timeout issue described and it doesn't answer John's concern about the extra "What do you want to do now" page. I could understand if that was a temporary splash that defaulted to the link you previously clicked after five seconds - the way a lot of logins behave - but that's not the case.