Options

Tripod collar for Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (one-touch)?

boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Accessories
I just bought a used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (one-touch) for my D80. prefer the build quality and speed over the lens creep and plastic feel of my 18-200, which will be going on eBay.

So far I love the lens, but I'm concerned about its stability on my tripod and the possibility of damaging my D80 lens mount. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, reliable tripod collar? So far my search has come up empty.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Congrats on the new lens. I'm sure you will find the 80-200mm vastly superior to your old 18-200mm.

You could try the RRS lens mount. Great quality. I've replaced my long Nikkor lens mounts with RRS with great success. Here's the link for your lens:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=LenNik80200AF&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Congrats on the new lens. I'm sure you will find the 80-200mm vastly superior to your old 18-200mm.

You could try the RRS lens mount. Great quality. I've replaced my long Nikkor lens mounts with RRS with great success. Here's the link for your lens:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=LenNik80200AF&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Thanks Mitchell ... this looks like a replacement for an existing lens tripod mount. My problem is that the lens I bought has no tripod mount at all. I'm looking for a collar or mount to take the pressure off of the camera when mounted on a tripod.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2008
    Thanks ...
    Thanks for the link. At $150-ish for a tripod collar, I may consider returning the lens and look for a used two-touch version.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Do you really need the tripod collar for this lens? I handhold my 70-200mm lens all the time. Rarely do I use a tripod or monopod for that FL.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2008
    I returned it
    Thanks a lot for all of your comments ...
    I ended up returning the lens to KEH and ordered the two ring version with tripod mount.

I could probably have gotten by without the tripod mount, but i do like to shoot late in the day, into evening for cityscape work, so if I start using the lens for that I'll definitely want the mount. The idea of $150 for a third party tripod collar, not to mention the additional piece of equipment to carry didn't seem worth it.

I opted for the (from what I've read) faster focus and better design.

Thanks again of your input and advice!
  • Options
    DeathriderDeathrider Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2008
    I just wanted to add...Manfrotto makes an adapter #3420 that's around $70:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3420.html

I used it with my old 80-200ED (v2). I even use it with my 80-200 2-touch when using it with a 2x converter. Makes it easy to grab/carry too:D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    Deathrider wrote:
    I just wanted to add...Manfrotto makes an adapter #3420 that's around $70:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3420.html

I used it with my old 80-200ED (v2). I even use it with my 80-200 2-touch when using it with a 2x converter. Makes it easy to grab/carry too:D

Deathrider, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Yes, that support works well and supports both camera and lens. It also works pretty well for supporting some macro applications like reversed lenses in front of standard lenses.

The main problem with it is shooting in portrait orientation. I love a tripod ring for rapidly changing the orientation of the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Thanks ...
    I thought I saw that adapter, or a similar item as "out of stock" at Adorama. Maybe it was B&H. Either way, I did returning the push-pull version. I received the two-touch version a couple of days ago. it seems lighter and easier to handle than the the one-touch. Plus, I don't have to worry about carrying another piece of equipment along with me (or forgetting it at home, as the case may be).

I haven't done any serious shooting with it yet, but just shooting in my back yard, I can tell you, I am THRILLED! It is tack sharp. With f2.8 and the bokeh it produces, I don't think I'll miss the VR of the 18-200.
  • Options
    pimpagpimpag Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 15, 2008
    Congrats on the lens, now get some use out of it and then move onwards and upwards, move slowly, it's all an experience.