Options

Weekly Assignment #90: Ad Infinitum

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 3, 2008 in Assignments
Let's have some good fun this time. The goal of this assignment is to create a "recursive" image, i.e. an image becomes part of itself, thus containing a smaller part of itself, and so on and so forth. Imagine a person looking at the picture of the same person looking at the picture of the same person... You got the drift:-)
It does require some basic photo-editing skills, but not much, and the effect is easy to achieve and is usually hilarious.
Fresh pictures only. Try to come out with a quality result. You can use parallel mirrors, photo-editor - whatever you poison is, but try to make it loo natural.
Let's get some infinity!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ngoedengoede Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Let's have some good fun this time. The goal of this assignment is to create a "recursive" image, i.e. an image becomes part of itself, thus containing a smaller part of itself, and so on and so forth. Imagine a person looking at the picture of the same person looking at the picture of the same person... You got the drift:-)
    It does require some basic photo-editing skills, but not much, and the effect is easy to achieve and is usually hilarious.
    Fresh pictures only. Try to come out with a quality result. You can use parallel mirrors, photo-editor - whatever you poison is, but try to make it loo natural.
    Let's get some infinity!

Is there a tutorial somewhere Nikolai to help me get started creating a recursive image in photoshop?

I looked around but couldn't find one online and am not sure where to start in figuring it out myself.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2008
    ngoede wrote:
    Is there a tutorial somewhere Nikolai to help me get started creating a recursive image in photoshop?

I looked around but couldn't find one online and am not sure where to start in figuring it out myself.
    Not that I know, but you can use Repetitive Free Transform (Ctrl+Alt+T record, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T play).
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not that I know, but you can use Repetitive Free Transform (Ctrl+Alt+T record, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T play).

Thanks Nikolai...Thats really neat. My compositing job is terrible though so I will need to try again. Not much experience compositing OR taking photos that I intend to composite. My first version came out not only messy but somewhat cheesy as well. luckily I took a bunch of variations so I may be able to find one that works better...Or I could just re-shoot.

I feel like its necessary that the effect not take over the picture..Otherwise it just looks drunk ;)
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 24, 2008
    Repeating myself again....
    356787029_Gp7dn-L-3.jpg

Ok Nikolai...I decided not to enter this in the mega challenge...for many reasons...but I will enter it here since this fits your theme here. As I told you before it was concieved 2 hours before you posted...lol. But was the same day.
    Exif for what you see here and the background layer.....click Here
    exif for the pic with the artist in it...click HERE
    exif for the painting in the painting ...i didn't download onto my site...but you will have to take my word for it...it was taken at the same place, day, time and consecutively...only difference was it was taken at 50mm and cropped.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Ok Nikolai...I decided not to enter this in the mega challenge...for many reasons...but I will enter it here since this fits your theme here. As I told you before it was concieved 2 hours before you posted...lol. But was the same day.
    Exif for what you see here and the background layer.....click Here
    exif for the pic with the artist in it...click HERE
    exif for the painting in the painting ...i didn't download onto my site...but you will have to take my word for it...it was taken at the same place, day, time and consecutively...only difference was it was taken at 50mm and cropped.ne_nau.gif
    Joyce,
    would it be to too much to ask to make it 100% assignment-compliant and recurse the painter into the paintings a few more steps untill it becomes disconcerneable. It would only take a few minutes of your time...
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Joyce,
    would it be to too much to ask to make it 100% assignment-compliant and recurse the painter into the paintings a few more steps untill it becomes disconcerneable. It would only take a few minutes of your time...
    hmmm...a few minutes??? eek7.gif It took me several hours to do what you see here. I do not have photoshop! I do have paint shop pro X2 and had to do these individually layered with rotation, resizing and cloning to get just the right angles. ...but maybe I will give a new try with new images since this isn't exactly what you want anyway. Might keep my mind off a certain MC thats driving me insane!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    hmmm...a few minutes??? eek7.gif It took me several hours to do what you see here. I do not have photoshop! I do have paint shop pro X2 and had to do these individually layered with rotation, resizing and cloning to get just the right angles. ...but maybe I will give a new try with new images since this isn't exactly what you want anyway. Might keep my mind off a certain MC thats driving me insane!ne_nau.gif
    You want me to do it for you? mwink.gif I have PS and I'm not afraid to use it.. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You want me to do it for you? mwink.gif I have PS and I'm not afraid to use it.. rolleyes1.gif

:DLaughing.gif...so I see. Well how is this...cloned a few more in in about twenty minutes (only took me that long because everyone is wanting attention! the very small pic hasn't got the artist because the other artist hadn't added her yet...Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    358428213_uAFSJ-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    :DLaughing.gif...so I see. Well how is this...cloned a few more in in about twenty minutes (only took me that long because everyone is wanting attention! the very small pic hasn't got the artist because the other artist hadn't added her yet...Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    20 minutes for this? Girl, you gotta get yourself a copy of PS for Labor Day... or Thanksgiving.. or Christmas mwink.gif
    Nice entry, thank you, appreciate the extra work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    20 minutes for this? Girl, you gotta get yourself a copy of PS for Labor Day... or Thanksgiving.. or Christmas mwink.gif
    Nice entry, thank you, appreciate the extra work! thumb.gif

What I really want is CS3 extented.......my anniversary is coming up but hubby got me a 2 week cruise to Caribbean instead.eek7.gif ...:D
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    Alright...My first assignment submission ;)
    Strange Loops

358662122_NWgRJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    ngoede wrote:
    Alright...My first assignment submission ;)
    Strange Loops

Very nice, thank you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Is this what your looking for??

359700253_bPFdh-L-1.jpg

EXIF

Just wanted to give this a try.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    barrotj wrote:
    Is this what your looking for??
    EXIF
    Just wanted to give this a try.
    Yeah, but come one, let's get a different image mwink.gif It's also more interesting when the scaling factor is less than 10:1 (in fact close to 1:1), since then you get this parallel mirrors effect deal.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    dlscott56 wrote:
    paper
    Thanks, Dave!thumb.gif
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Very nice, Sean, great entry! thumb.gif
    My only nit is that there is no shadow casted by the "picture" on the pad, and no shadow on the picture casted by clampne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice, Sean, great entry! thumb.gif
    My only nit is that there is no shadow casted by the "picture" on the pad, and no shadow on the picture casted by clampne_nau.gif

I thought I did pretty good with the shadow cast by the picture since I just used the one that was there from the piece of paper I used as a place holder. :D I think that getting the shadow from the clip is above my skill set, but there is probably a really simple trick that I just don't know. headscratch.gif

original image
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    I thought I did pretty good with the shadow cast by the picture since I just used the one that was there from the piece of paper I used as a place holder. :D I think that getting the shadow from the clip is above my skill set, but there is probably a really simple trick that I just don't know. headscratch.gif
    In this particular case it can as simple as selecting the clamp bottom with any auto-selecting tool, copy it on a layer above the paper and set "drop shadow" style...
    Now, the real neat trick would be to use the primary image as a smart object, so when you done with the changes (just once!) the final composite would automatically update itself deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    In this particular case it can as simple as selecting the clamp bottom with any auto-selecting tool, copy it on a layer above the paper and set "drop shadow" style...
    Now, the real neat trick would be to use the primary image as a smart object, so when you done with the changes (just once!) the final composite would automatically update itself deal.gifmwink.gif

I don't think PSE5 has smart objects. :D

BTW here is a link to the original... here.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    I don't think PSE5 has smart objects. :D
    Ah... Oh... Ooops... Yeah... that's more like PS stuff rolleyes1.gif