Nikon D80 Af-Manual Focus 'How To'

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited August 18, 2008 in Technique
I'm on this long slow learning curve which I'm enjoying very much. I use a Nikon D80 and there are times I have difficulty locking in (focus). I typically shot in 'A' mode in 'AF' and most times change my shutter speed taking multiple images. Now having spent a good amount of time on Dgrin, I'm better understanding the focus/lock problem is not the camera (firmware), it has a lot to do with light/distance etc, but I also read about manual focus and this is how to maybe overide my problem with 'AF'. I'm the type of novice which goes out on any partcular day and I shoot everything.

I'm putting this out and really asking what the more seasoned folks do and possibly learn from your workflow (settings) and why you shoot using these settings to help me better understand and hopefully make my shooting experience more productive and less frustrating.

Thanks
Bob

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 15, 2008
    I am moving this to the Technique thread as that is where shooting skills are discussed, and focusing belongs there, rather than in a discussion of post processing.

Can someone help this poor Nikon shooter?:hide
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited August 17, 2008
    Bob,

What camera body/lens combinations are you using?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Hi Ziggy

I'm using a Nikon D80 with 3 lens. Nikkor 18-70, 70-300mm and just recently purchased a Sigma 10-20MM. I think I've discovered manual focus by switching the small toggle at the lower left front of camera from AF to M when the auto focus system won't engage or lock. I don't know if this is what I should be doing, but it seems to work.

I also wonder if I should be shooting in 'P' mode rather than 'A' mode. 150 images yesterday and a lot were really underexposed and I was shooting in the early morning, despite taking many shots of the same image changing shutter speeds and making rational decisions (i think)

Thanks...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    redhalton wrote:
    Hi Ziggy

I'm using a Nikon D80 with 3 lens. Nikkor 18-70, 70-300mm and just recently purchased a Sigma 10-20MM. I think I've discovered manual focus by switching the small toggle at the lower left front of camera from AF to M when the auto focus system won't engage or lock. I don't know if this is what I should be doing, but it seems to work.

I also wonder if I should be shooting in 'P' mode rather than 'A' mode. 150 images yesterday and a lot were really underexposed and I was shooting in the early morning, despite taking many shots of the same image changing shutter speeds and making rational decisions (i think)

Thanks...

I do believe that with those lenses the correct way to go manual focus is using the switch on the camera, so I think you're doing the right technique. (I believe that some AF-S lenses also have a "Manual Focus" switch that has to be selected as well? Can someone elucidate?)

I do believe that the D80 will allow shutter release out-of-focus if the camera is set to AF-C. Do be careful to half-depress the shutter button and get focus confirmation first before following through with the full-depress on the shutter button.

It sounds like you might try using Aperture Priority because none of those lenses is stellar at large apertures. (Although the Nikkor 18-70mm, f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX IF-ED is pretty good wide open it benefits from smaller apertures. The other 2 lenses you mention are just plain soft at maximum aperture. The Sigma does pretty well in the center, but the edges are soft wide open.)

Generally, find the aperture settings that work for you and then use Aperture Priority mode and set to those apertures. Then use the ISO to control shutter speed, choosing the lowest ISO that yields an acceptable shutter speed for the subject matter and lighting conditions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Generally, find the aperture settings that work for you and then use Aperture Priority mode and set to those apertures. Then use the ISO to control shutter speed, choosing the lowest ISO that yields an acceptable shutter speed for the subject matter and lighting conditions.

I'm 7 months into this camera after graduating from many Nikon point and shoot cameras--I love the DSLR and I'm so grateful of all the help I've found here. I've also found Ken Rockwell's site. Just like in P/S, there are it seems a mulitude of methods to achieve the same results and until your last reply, it never occurred to me to use the 'ISO' to gain acceptable exposure levels. I'll be taking this method for a test drive as soon as I can.

On the Rockwell site Ken does a good job of explaining his workflow when shooting with the D80--he typically shoots in 'P Mode' and depends on the camera exposure metering (-/+)to get the best results. From a newbie standpoint, what would be your choice? I'm not only putting this out for Ziggy, I'm putting it out to other D80 users, I'm really interested in learning how you set up for shooting outdoors.

Thanks..