Options

Weekly Assignment #87: Art of Noise

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in Assignments
No I didn't mean hunting down and shooting the members of popular 80ies band...
For this round we're going to take the pictures with the maximum amount of noise possible with the intention to incorporate the said noise as an important part of the final image. Grundge and macabre naturally come to mind, but don't stop just there. And if your camera can't produce enough noise, you can always add some in post :-)
Fresh pictures only. More post processing than usual is OK, since we're talking "art" :-). Please provide original frame if you did some excessive amount of postwork.
Let's have some noise!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    OK I will go first

Img_4326_bw.jpg

I had to crop it fairly tight to loose the surrounding enviroment, I think it has that old newspaper look, not sure if there is enough noise for you??

Here the original

Img_4326.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    OK I will go first
    I had to crop it fairly tight to loose the surrounding enviroment, I think it has that old newspaper look, not sure if there is enough noise for you??
    Here the original
    Thanks for looking
    Tim
    Tim, very nice, like the mid-XX century look of it!
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    "TV Dinner"

347289180_umjek-L.jpg

Under exposed at ISO 3200 then brightened up in post, then a little "sharpening". I knew from experience this would give me lots of noise. Oh and a little desaturation for a little more retro feel.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    "TV Dinner"

Under exposed at ISO 3200 then brightened up in post, then a little "sharpening". I knew from experience this would give me lots of noise. Oh and a little desaturation for a little more retro feel.
    Sean,
    thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    I must say however, that, unlike the motorcycle entry, noise doesn't add much to this image (even with the title) ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Nikolai,
    This reminds me of cheesy [pun intended] diner and bad restaurant photography where the old grainy and faded pictures of menu items are placed in the window to entice passerbys to want to eat it.

Nikolai wrote:
    Sean,
    thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    I must say however, that, unlike the motorcycle entry, noise doesn't add much to this image (even with the title) ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    One from me. The one that was published:
    348766936_P3oDc-M.jpg

The one I just noised up:
    349592391_hbs3Q-M.jpg

* Layer Channel Mixer to Monochrome
    * Layer Curves on top of channel mixer to add more contrast and bump the noise.
    Copy of original with about10% Gaussian noise added then layered on top of everything with a 35% opacity. This brings some of the color back.

A B/W take on it:
    349603047_gchUD-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    One from me. The one that was published:
    The one I just noised up:
    * Layer Channel Mixer to Monochrome
    * Layer Curves on top of channel mixer to add more contrast and bump the noise.
    Copy of original with about10% Gaussian noise added then layered on top of everything with a 35% opacity. This brings some of the color back.
    A B/W take on it:
    David, thank you!
    I like bw better! thumb.gif
    However, the colored version reminds me once-used-to-be-popular faux-color prints (BW print that was partially or fully hand painted), so it kinda stands its own ground.
  • Options
    Photo-DoPhoto-Do Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    OK here's my try at noise. I used 1600 ISO, and add noise in PSP11. I couldn't decide if I liked it better in color or B/W, so here's both.
    Thanks for looking,

Denise
    353615798_4KJWF-L.jpg

353615817_vvsZT-L.jpg
    Every day is an opportunity to learn something new.
    What have you learned today?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    Photo-Do wrote:
    OK here's my try at noise. I used 1600 ISO, and add noise in PSP11. I couldn't decide if I liked it better in color or B/W, so here's both.
    Thanks for looking,
    Denise

Denise, very nice, I like the effect! thumb.gif Tough call on which one to use, both very solid, I'd go for color. As a compromise maybe a blend?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    overpardufferoverparduffer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2008
    Hmmm, thought I had added more noise than that... EDITED

358113388_74vBk-L.jpg

Here's the original...

357870226_yWY46-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    Hmmm, thought I had added more noise than that...
    Here's the original...
    You probably added it to a hires original. Noise tend to disappear whne resizing down. Resize to the target box first and add noise later.