Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited February 6, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Something not working right? Might be a bug, reply here. Give us all the details you can. Anything that might be relevant like your browser. Are you logged in? What were you doing before the problem? Send us a link to the SmugMug page you were using. Anything that you can think of to help us track down the problem.

Old threads are here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79244
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44268
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40326
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23483

Comments

• Options
    the_cynicthe_cynic Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    Links on homepage not working
    Nevermind, it was a problem with Firefox. Basic troubleshooting for the browser fixed it.
  • Options
    DaladoDalado Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    the_cynic wrote:
    Nevermind, it was a problem with Firefox. Basic troubleshooting for the browser fixed it.

Hi, been trying different things, but cant solve two issues in two different albums. The 1st is my captions in this album --> http://www.daladophotography.com/gallery/3183016_TZKa3

Theres spaces in between the words and also don't allign right with the photos.

The 2nd problem is with vertical photos being cut off when displayed in the album, NOT when you click to enlarge. --> http://www.daladophotography.com/gallery/4611829_jAoMq/2

Cant seem to figure out how to fix it.

D.
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Dalado wrote:

The 2nd problem is with vertical photos being cut off when displayed in the album, NOT when you click to enlarge. --> http://www.daladophotography.com/gallery/4611829_jAoMq/2

D.

Looks like you've got "Square thumbs" for this gallery. Click on customize gallery and tick the box that says "Original".

It'll take a few minutes to take effect, but that should fix the problem. thumb.gif
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    Looks like you've got "Square thumbs" for this gallery. Click on customize gallery and tick the box that says "Original".

It'll take a few minutes to take effect, but that should fix the problem. thumb.gif

Thats a negative. Box is already at "original" for thumbs. I even used the settings from other albums that are fine and get the same results.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Dalado wrote:
    Hi, been trying different things, but cant solve two issues in two different albums. The 1st is my captions in this album --> http://www.daladophotography.com/gallery/3183016_TZKa3

Theres spaces in between the words and also don't allign right with the photos.

D.
    Change to smugmug style and for each portrait photo that thumb image is
    too low, under photos tools > Crop Thumbnail, readjust 1x1 square to where
    you want it.

Add this to CSS

.traditional .caption {text-align: center !important;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Dalado wrote:
    Thats a negative. Box is already at "original" for thumbs. I even used the settings from other albums that are fine and get the same results.

The first problem you brought up has to do with the Spoonman theme that you are using. The captions are centered with other themes. I'll report this problem.

The second issue you brought up probably happened because you used a quicksettings template. Using them can change the way that the thumbnails setting is displayed in the Gallery Customization page. However, that won't start the process in the gallery. Sorry about that. You'd have to switch the setting to Square then back to Original. Or, you could leave the setting on Original and rotate one way and then back again. I'm in the process of fixing your thumbnails, please stand by. Again, sorry about this, I'll make sure that the engineers know about it.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    ok, I'm done. Thumbnails should be right now.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    ok, I'm done. Thumbnails should be right now.

Thanks, fixed the thumbs!! Thanks for the quick resonse!

D.
  • Options
    JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Featured Thumbnail
    This is an observation I noticed today:
    I was moving photos (one of which was the featured photo of the gallery) out of one gallery to a new one via "Move to Other Gallery" and created a new gallery by entering the new gallery name from there. After I was done, it seems that the featured photo still remained as the old gallery's featured thumbnail despite that photo being moved into the new gallery.

This is not a big deal at all, but it was interesting. Perhaps if the featured photo were moved out of a gallery, the gallery should go back to randomly selecting a photo as the gallery thumbnail?
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    This is an observation I noticed today:
    I was moving photos (one of which was the featured photo of the gallery) out of one gallery to a new one via "Move to Other Gallery" and created a new gallery by entering the new gallery name from there. After I was done, it seems that the featured photo still remained as the old gallery's featured thumbnail despite that photo being moved into the new gallery.

This is not a big deal at all, but it was interesting. Perhaps if the featured photo were moved out of a gallery, the gallery should go back to randomly selecting a photo as the gallery thumbnail?

Yeah, this is one of those silly little bugs that we're aware of but haven't fixed yet. Sorry. Thanks for bringing it up!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Perhaps if the featured photo were moved out of a gallery, the gallery should go back to randomly selecting a photo as the gallery thumbnail?
    Thando wrote:
    Yeah, this is one of those silly little bugs that we're aware of but haven't fixed yet. Sorry. Thanks for bringing it up!
    Please don't change this.eek7.gif Many use special featured thumbs for galleries
    then move them to an unlisted gallery so they will not show with the other
    photos in the gallery.
  • Options
    JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Please don't change this.eek7.gif Many use special featured thumbs for galleries
    photos in the gallery.

Interesting. I was going to suggest using "hide photo" but I guess that actually does work how I expected it to and you're not able to use it as a special featured thumb for that gallery.

Honestly, it makes more sense to give "hide photo" the ability to do what you'd like (preserving the ability for you have special featured thumbs), and fix the 'bug' for moved photos, since that seemed to be more of an inconvenient hack. Perhaps a more specific option called "feature photo + hide" so you don't even have to use a work-around to have special featured thumbs that need to be moved to a different unlisted gallery?

I'm definitely not asking to remove functions that other users actually use, but hopefully it makes sense not having to jump through hoops either to do what you want thumb.gif
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    photos in the gallery.

haha. I don't think it's in danger of being fixed any time soon. It's very LOW in priority. You can rest easy tonight.
  • Options
    indivindiv Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2008
    Links are the wrong color after uploading with Picasa
    Here's a minor bug:

I have my homepage set to the "light" color scheme, so my homepage has a white background and the hyperlinks are black.

I upload my images with the Picasa2 plugin. When the confirmation page pops up ("Success! All %d of your photos were uploaded"), the background is black and the hyperlinks are black, so I can't see them.

Sure enough, when I change my homepage scheme to "dark" again, the confirmation page has white hyperlinks, allowing me to read them.

edit:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this is on IE7. Haven't tried any other browser.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    On my domain homepage the photo links for the popular photos were
    linking to my nickname. I solved this by reducing the number showing from the
    33 to 1 and then back to 33 which seemed to regenerate the links to domain.
    Now just noticed they are back to nickname links. I removed ALL
    customization even theme and didn't help.

Edit: regenerated the links again, will see how long this lasts. :D

Edit: 'nuther test. This is really weird. Now on Nickname HP all pop thumbs show as domain links
    not nickname links and clicking thumb to popular gallery now switches all links to domain.
    (all nav links are relative) Clear cache and cookies no effect.

Edit: bam! they reverted back to nickname links, what's going on?
    Checking each time in FF2, Flock and IE6
  • Options
    THEgatorTHEgator Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2008
    Slide show doesn't work in a protected gallery
    When I create a gallery that requires a password, the slide show will not work. Specifically, if I login to the locked/protected gallery as its owner, the slideshow works fine. However, if I enter the protected gallery using its password, the slideshow hangs-up. This is a major problem. I cannot use protected galleries because they do not function properly. This is a severe limitation since many galleries cannot be made available for viewing by the general public. This problem REALLY hurts!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    On my domain homepage the photo links for the popular photos were
    linking to my nickname. I solved this by reducing the number showing from the
    33 to 1 and then back to 33 which seemed to regenerate the links to domain.
    Now just noticed they are back to nickname links. I removed ALL
    customization even theme and didn't help.

Edit: regenerated the links again, will see how long this lasts. :D

Edit: 'nuther test. This is really weird. Now on Nickname HP all pop thumbs show as domain links
    not nickname links and clicking thumb to popular gallery now switches all links to domain.
    (all nav links are relative) Clear cache and cookies no effect.

Edit: bam! they reverted back to nickname links, what's going on?
    Checking each time in FF2, Flock and IE6
    It's a known issue, Allen, sorry for the hassle :(
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    THEgator wrote:
    When I create a gallery that requires a password, the slide show will not work. Specifically, if I login to the locked/protected gallery as its owner, the slideshow works fine. However, if I enter the protected gallery using its password, the slideshow hangs-up. This is a major problem. I cannot use protected galleries because they do not function properly. This is a severe limitation since many galleries cannot be made available for viewing by the general public. This problem REALLY hurts!
    Hi THEgator, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

sorry for the hassle, however I can't seem to replicate this. Can you give (by PM if you wish) me a link to one of the galleries that is causing hickups for you? Also, let me know what browser you are using, please. Thanks.
  • Options
    THEgatorTHEgator Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2008
    Protected Gallery Slideshow
    ivar wrote:
    Hi THEgator, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

sorry for the hassle, however I can't seem to replicate this. Can you give (by PM if you wish) me a link to one of the galleries that is causing hickups for you? Also, let me know what browser you are using, please. Thanks.

I'm using IE6; however, have tried it using FireFox and had the same problem. SmugMug admits this is an issue but, apparently, has been unable to fix it. I'm disappointed that they have not made some general recognition/announcement of the problem and what the status is. Please send me an email and I will provide you all the particulars as well as the link/password to get into the gallery. fjamison@cfl.rr.com

Thank you.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    THEgator wrote:
    SmugMug admits this is an issue but, apparently, has been unable to fix it. I'm disappointed that they have not made some general recognition/announcement of the problem

It's a known bug and I'm sorry that we weren't clear on that. It's in the bug list and our developer will fix it.
  • Options
    brouschbrousch Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2008
    Low priority bug in rotation timing
    I uploaded a few pictures and then rotated them in SmugMug. During the time while the photos were rotating, I realized that I also needed to remove red-eye. So I opened the original pics on my computer, then rotated and removed the red-eye using The Gimp. I then did a replace on the SmugMug photos, which still had not finished being rotated. The photos seemed to replace the bad ones OK, then a little later they got rotated.

My guess is that the rotate job never finished before the replacement photos went up, so the replacements got rotated. It's not a big deal since I just rotated the replacements back to the correct orientation.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Having an issue with star explorer and smugmug. Nik says the error code is on the server side, which would be smugmug. Anything that you have changed recently that maybe causing this. I have 2,044 photos that need to uploaded pronto for customers.

Thanks
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Having an issue with star explorer and smugmug. Nik says the error code is on the server side, which would be smugmug. Anything that you have changed recently that maybe causing this. I have 2,044 photos that need to uploaded pronto for customers.

Thanks
    We're going to need a bit more info :D

what exactly is (not) happening?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    brousch wrote:
    I uploaded a few pictures and then rotated them in SmugMug. During the time while the photos were rotating, I realized that I also needed to remove red-eye. So I opened the original pics on my computer, then rotated and removed the red-eye using The Gimp. I then did a replace on the SmugMug photos, which still had not finished being rotated. The photos seemed to replace the bad ones OK, then a little later they got rotated.

My guess is that the rotate job never finished before the replacement photos went up, so the replacements got rotated. It's not a big deal since I just rotated the replacements back to the correct orientation.
    Thanks, I'll have a look!

Welcome to Digital Grin wave.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    We're going to need a bit more info :D

what exactly is (not) happening?

getting system error(invalid album id)(5) when the files are trying to get sent.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    bham wrote:
    getting system error(invalid album id)(5) when the files are trying to get sent.
    I see it's already being worked on. Thanks for letting us know, though!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Sorry if this was posted before...

Color effects lowered the quality of one of my images. Here's the before and after. Ignore the brightness difference... I'm talking about the jpeg artifacts (I think) and small watermark:

Before:
    354470476_ukajR-XL.jpg

After auto color correct:
    353951158_uSRgj-XL-1.jpg

Dave
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Can't switch views
    Here's a reproducible bug. If my regular viewing style is the smugmug view and I open a gallery, it comes up on the smugmug style. If I then switch to the traditional style, I get a grid of images. If I click one one of the thumbs, it opens a single image view of that image. If I then try to switch to any other view, nothing happens. It won't let me change the viewing style. If I go back to my home page and re-enter the gallery from there, the newly chosen viewing style goes into effect, but not once I've gotten to the single image view. The same seems to be true whether I start in Traditional or All Thumbs or Critique or Journal. When I click on the main image and go to the single image view, I can no longer switch to another view.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I can no longer switch to another view.
    reported, thanks.
  • Options
    samwisesamwise Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Rotating seems to be an issue - I've uploaded 9 photos to an album, of which 5 need to be rotated by 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

I've tried moving both bulk and single photos, but no rotating seems to work headscratch.gif
This discussion has been closed.