Problem with my 40D!

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited July 31, 2008 in Cameras
I noticed the other day that some photos taken with my 40D at fast shutter speeds had some noticeable problems - the top half of the image was darker than the bottom half. I put my 40D on a tripod and shot a series from my back yard today to illustrate the problem.

I'm guessing that for some reason my mirror / shutter sync is off and what I'm seeing is my mirror not clearing the frame in time. ???

:dunno

1/500 @ f/4
334773551_Ljnho-S.jpg

1/800 @ f/3.2
334773518_YTZQ2-S.jpg

1/1000 @ f/2.8
334773502_UEGv4-S.jpg

1/2000 @ f/1.8
334773485_i6TLv-S.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited July 19, 2008
    I think you are correct and that the mirror is the problem.

Unfortunately I think you need to send the camera to Canon repair. The images may be some help in making your case for the repairs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Unfortunately I think you need to send the camera to Canon repair. The images may be some help in making your case for the repairs.

I tried the same 1/2000 sec shot with mirror lockup enabled and it was no different. Using Live View, however, the shot was perfect. The live-view has a delayed mirror-return I think (supposed to be more quiet) so the problem is probably that the mirror is coming down prematurely. :(
    edited July 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

I sent it off to Canon Factory Service in Irvine today - hopefully it won't be gone long! 11doh.gif
    I've sent one lens there in the past and the turnaround was pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    edited July 30, 2008
    Well, I got my 40D back from Canon today - 8 business day turnaround time from the time I dropped it in the mail to the day I received it back. The repair note says "it was found that the shutter unit was inoperative". They replaced the shutter, upgraded the firmware, cleaned it, and sent it back!

It now works as it should with no problems. clap.gif Man, I was having serious camera withdrawal...
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    It now works as it should with no problems. clap.gif Man, I was having serious camera withdrawal...

Good news! I sympathise both with the good and bad!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix