Options

Andy's iPhone Invisible Shield by Zagg Review

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Accessories
Bit of discussion, here

What a complete and total, utter waste of money.

It's NOT needed folks! I had an iPhone since Day One of the first release - carried it in my pocket for a year, keys, coins, money clip... no scratches no problems. Dropped said phone on the streets of NY and elsewhere, never an issue.

Don't waste your money on this. It's a pita to put on, and it's just not needed! Yes folks I tried one, just for giggles. And I ripped it off the iPhone and tossed it just as fast as I could.

Save your money, go see a movie instead :thumb

Now, I do have Zagg protectors on my 1Ds Mark III screens - I'm glad for them there. But the iPhone covering? Bah :nah

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I love mine. Much prefer the phone with it than without it. :D

Of course, I'm not saying it's necessary to protect. I just like the feel of it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Mind if we put this in the reviews? rolleyes1.gif

J/k!

I think?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Mind if we put this in the reviews? rolleyes1.gif

J/k!

I think?
    heh. It's not so much a negative review for zagg as a positive review for the iPhone. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I use one on my q9m and would not be caught without one.
    It was the easiest thing to put on.
    The one step people sometimes forget is to spray your fingers before touching the shield.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I love mine on my first gen iPhone. Took about 5 minutes to put on, and steady hands, but protects like a champ.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    eek7.gif Oh man i can never put those things on successfully so i never use them on my LCD.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    I just had to exchange my iPhone, so I'm back to a naked one until I can get the replacement from Zagg, and I wanted to refine what I was saying earlier.

Andy's right: you don't need it. He's also right that it's a PITA to install. And he's right that it ain't cheap.

Yet, I really miss mine. I like it. I like the feel of it. I like how my greasy fingers don't bother the skin as much as the naked iPhone. I simply prefer it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Andy lives in a world of satin, feathers, and microfiber lined pockets. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Andy lives in a world of satin, feathers, and microfiber lined pockets. rolleyes1.gif

I thought I lived in that world. But then I set my Original naked iPhone onto my desk, and the perfectly smooth surfaces suctioned together. I had a small piece of dust in between the two, and when I went to lift up the phone, I noticed a small scratch on the glass. I couldn't even find the speck which infiltrated my clean work environment, and caused such damage.

My MacBook Pro slid into my bag one time, and the smooth corner of the Laptop caught the back of the iPhone in my bag. Both were scratched as both were naked.

So a scratched screen, and a scratched back on the original led me to the purchase of the zagg for the 3G iPhone. I've installed 3 in total now, because co-workers / friends liked the idea, and how well I put mine on. Can't say it took more than 5 minutes, from un-boxing to clean-up.

Andy - I hope yours never gets scratched, but I was not as lucky with my original, and paid the $20 bucks for the added protection. It is my preference to have it on just in case....
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    A few weeks or so later, I still don't want a film covering. blbl.gif
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    A few weeks or so later, I still don't want a film covering. blbl.gif

Oh boy, I am on the forums less than a week and I disagree with andy
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    Oh boy, I am on the forums less than a week and I disagree with andy

Get used to it! lol3.gif

I'm still waiting for my replacement shield, and I'm hating the iPhone without. Finger smears are a much bigger problem on a naked iPhone. At least with my greasy paws!!! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    I got my free replacement from Zagg, and just installed it.

And none to soon, as the back of the iPod was starting to get scratched to hell. thumb.gif

Confirmed: PITA

But I'm oh-so-happy that it's back on my iPhone. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I gotta tell you I have a plastic shield on my iPhone's screen, its great, but its not about scratches or anything for me, the main benefit is reduces the fingerprints effect a lot on the screen. Much cleaner than of fingerprints on glass. And seriously invisible.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Gotta jump in here and say I agree with Andy. A friend made me install an Invisible Shield on her Motorola Razr when she got it. (Well, she didn't put a gun to my head, but she bought one and asked me to put it on and I said yes).

About 7 months later, it began peeling up at the edges and she said she never liked the rubbery feel it gave the phone.

Plus, if you decide you do want one, the Best Skin Ever product is the exact same material for less money:

http://www.bestskinsever.com
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/