Help Baldy shoot for a 72x240-inch print

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    With that long lens you really can see who's being naughty and nice. thumb.gifbarb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Holly crap. Baldy, I'm going to fly to SF to see this when it's printed. Let us know when it's done! I'll be there!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Wow, I love the quest, the suspense, and the development. What amazing detail! Keep them coming. The sky was amazing during the recent storms. Any new shoot?
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Large format 6x17 digicam
    You know, you might want to check this wesite out: http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm,
    as it shows a Seitz 6x17 digital panorama camera, with 160 MP resolution.

You shouldn't need to take very many shots with THAT one to get your panorama mwink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    tisun wrote:
    Any new shoot?

Dear readers, our beloved Baldy is now in Paris, with The Countess of Cash and The Mistress of The Help Pages.

One thing Baldy hopes to do is to get a hi rez shot of Mont Saint Michel. Expect this thread to grow longer lol3.gif

In the meantime, in other news, Baldy informed me he sent a few DVDs with his best pano attempts, and I'm to be his processing beyotch :uhoh

Yay!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    One thing Baldy hopes to do is to get a hi rez shot of Mont Saint Michel.

:yikes
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Thanks Andy!
    Andy,

Thanks for the map on the location of where to shoot the bay bridge. I was able to get a real nice night shot of the bridge. Nothing near what you guys are doing here but I think it came out pretty good.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    I am still amazed. Now that the snow has melted I am out in the backyard burying my camera... rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Andy,

Thanks for the map on the location of where to shoot the bay bridge. I was able to get a real nice night shot of the bridge. Nothing near what you guys are doing here but I think it came out pretty good.

I can't find the post with Andy's Map. Can someone help me find it?

I shot last night from Yerba Buena. I walked up from Treasure Island to where the roadway goes into cantilevered sections, and shot from the concrete shoulder just over the guardrail. I *think* this is where Andy has been shooting from. I'll post my shots in a new thread.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited December 29, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    I can't find the post with Andy's Map. Can someone help me find it?

I think you mean post #266
    -=Bradford

• jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I think you mean post #266

Thanks!

Sam and I believe we were at the same location earlier this week. It was just a tiny bit further south than Andy's arrow on that map.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    I went to Europe for two weeks and it turns out the technique we refined here was a big help to me there. I wanted to make a few really big prints, so for example this is made from 18 frames and a 300mm lens for a 120-inch high print:

452488225_hSnxH-O.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

452488225_hSnxH-Th.jpg
    Let's see a crop w/ detail :D
    edited January 10, 2009
    Hokay. I compressed this hard (CS4 save for web at 50) in hopes of keeping your browser from going poof.

Here 'tis at 100%:

452506596_9RY7R-O.jpg
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Good golly. clap.gif

About halfway through the scroll down the page I was chuckling to myself, "OMG".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    and i was crying holy cow....

jeez Baldy..... what can anyone say? jeezzzzz
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 10, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good golly. clap.gif
    Thanks!

I walked the Champs capturing video clips with the 5D of the city of light, not believing what I was seeing, and every hour they would turn on additional lights on the Eiffel Tower. They weren't anything I could capture in a still, but from the Arc de Triomphe a long way away I did my best to hand hold (they wouldn't allow tripods on top) in the wind.

Anyway, it's the last clip in this 60-second video.

Amazing how they light up La Ville-Lumière.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Good golly only begins to describe it. The trees in the video with their twinkling lights and the Arc in the background are beautiful bowdown.gif

You should ask the boss of you can take some time to visit all of the beautiful cities in the world and do these little vignettes. Stunning.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 10, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    You should ask the boss of you can take some time
    He won't let me. Andy is a slave-driver. :whip
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    He won't let me. Andy is a slave-driver. :whip
    lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Wow!!

18 frames - 6 tall and 3 across??

I don't see any black dots, was this done with the newer firmware, or the older 1.0.6 version?

Amazing quality to the image, stunning!

The videos are awesome. What lenses did you use for these, if I may ask, Baldy?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    eek7.gif

Awesome stuff! clap.gif
    edited January 10, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    18 frames - 6 tall and 3 across??

I don't see any black dots, was this done with the newer firmware, or the older 1.0.6 version?

The videos are awesome. What lenses did you use for these, if I may ask, Baldy?
    Actually, I shot in landscape orientation, 3 across on the bottom row, 2 across for the next 3 rows, then 1 across to the top.

I decided I'm most comfortable doing the adjustments in bridge on each individual frame, saving as a tif then using Autopano Pro just for the stitching and blending.

I shot it bracketed, so I tried using Photomatix to blend each set of 3 exposures before saving to a tif. The plus was the blown areas were less blown after HDR, but it seemed to lose detail. The rivets weren't as clear, maybe because the shadows of the rivets got lightened?

It confounded me that the tower got considerably darker part way up, so I finally switched from using the middle exposure to the long one at that point. I just applied different settings for fill light and the curves so they matched close enough that no one seems to be able to tell.

I used the old firmware.

For the video, I used the 70-200 for all but three scenes, and they were the 15mm f/2.8.
    edited January 10, 2009
    Just amazing.

I really need a bigger display, higher resolution, not just larger.
    -=Bradford

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Holy Cow!

To view post #325 as it was downloading, I zoomed my browser down to 10%, and it still took 4 page downs key presses to see that one slice top to bottom.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    If you look under the arch, there's a building with a clock. Behind that, and slightly left, is an apartment building. If you take a close look in the the top floor window on the extreme left of the frame, you should see what looks like a white picture frame on the wall on the other side of the room. Well, sorry to be carrier of bad news Baldy, but the frame is crooked!!!.... :D

To be serious, I think I can safely say that that is simply to most spectacular photo have have seen this year!bowdown.gif
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited January 10, 2009
    (on that 100% version)
    holy cow again...right near the clock tower building look around for the stationary white tour bus... then down a little near center is a tourist taking a snap shot of three people.... amazing stroke of flash timing eh?

that should get a giggle out of the pixel peepers....
    Aaron Nelson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    I found those tourists, Aaron.

Can you imagine someone looking at the 10 foot tall version of this print and finding that??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I've been reading this thread off and on for the better part of five months now - this whole project is truly amazing and captivating. I'd definitely try to make a pilgrimage to SM HQ to see the installation of these when they are done. Is there going to be a bash for the unveiling?
    edited January 11, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I found those tourists, Aaron.

Can you imagine someone looking at the 10 foot tall version of this print and finding that??

am i wrong but in a 10ft print shouldnt that tourist be at least a 1/8 inch tall? rolleyes1.gif

and since Baldy refuses to use velvet rope to keep people back i would say, yes...easythumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson