David Jay, SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    DJ, hey buddy. I got a lot of people coming up to me at WPPI and raving about how awesome your slumber workshop was. clap.gif

Can you make a post here on your upcoming Workshop schedules? I would love to have them on my radar and I am sure there are many here that would like to attend.

What city, date & time, emphasis?

Thanks,
    Markham
  • davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Ham1 wrote:
    DJ, hey buddy. I got a lot of people coming up to me at WPPI and raving about how awesome your slumber workshop was. clap.gif

Can you make a post here on your upcoming Workshop schedules? I would love to have them on my radar and I am sure there are many here that would like to attend.

What city, date & time, emphasis?

Thanks,
    Markham
    Cool! Thanks Markham! These are such a blast! I haven't put any more on the calendar quite yet b/c I'm still riding the high of the last two but as soon as I do I'll post'em here.

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • jeffjochumjeffjochum Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    davidjay wrote:
    Cool! Thanks Markham! These are such a blast! I haven't put any more on the calendar quite yet b/c I'm still riding the high of the last two but as soon as I do I'll post'em here.

Yeah, I want to come to one of those,too. ;)

jeff
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    You mean that all of us we re at WPPI and that wasn't a slumber party? Well it was a dining fest for a few of us - we feasted on friendship and knowledge and all things photographic. Another party - slumber or otherwise could be a lot of fun!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • MikaGrinMikaGrin Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Hi DJ, WELCOME......:)
    Hi DJ, a big welcome even i'm not very that active here in the DigitalGrin forum, but i do fallow you almost everywhere through your websites and blogs....YOU ROCK and you are one of my great photographers inspiration.

I was always passionate about photography in general, it wasn't my profession. 2 years ago i discover the "Wedding Photography" where i start like an occasional second photographer for complementing "Candid shoots" for a Wedding Photographer in Montreal an guess what, i fall completely in loveiloveyou.gif with this exiting....challenging...rewarding profession, so now i try to transitioning to this job to make a living of it. The thing is than i'm much better photographer than i'm businessman, even i do have what it take's (ambition and motivation) to start my own business but i'm overwarmed, i don't know how and where to start.
    I have thousands of questions running through my head (ex: how i gone grow my potfolio, how and where to get costumers "i'm ready to do wedding for free to slowly get people to know my and the job i do", how i gone do without much money to buy updated material.......???), sorry maybe you find i'm funny, but these feellings are real.

Do you have some directions or advices to tell my?

I'm so happy you are here, talk to you soon, friendly Mika.
    Mika: On Smugmug :thumb
    Michael Bastia (MB) Photographie Web Site :lust
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Where's DJ? Is he still a photographer? His commitment to SM was highly publicised, even controversial. Where is he now?
    edited August 11, 2009
    MikaGrin wrote:
    Hi DJ, a big welcome even i'm not very that active here in the DigitalGrin forum, but i do fallow you almost everywhere through your websites and blogs....YOU ROCK and you are one of my great photographers inspiration.
    Thanks so much Mike!
    MikaGrin wrote:
    I have thousands of questions running through my head (ex: how i gone grow my potfolio, how and where to get costumers "i'm ready to do wedding for free to slowly get people to know my and the job i do", how i gone do without much money to buy updated material.......???), sorry maybe you find i'm funny, but these feellings are real.
    I think going the free route is a great way to build your network and another great way to build your portfolio is to go "second" shoot for another photographers. There are lots of photographers out there who will let you come and shoot with them at weddings and then use those pictures in your portfolio.

Keep rocking! :)
    DJ

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
    edited August 11, 2009
    Where's DJ?
    I'm in Santa Barbara right now but I'll be in London on Thursday so if you're in the UK come hangout with us there.
    Is he still a photographer?
    hmmm....I suppose so. I dunno...I guess you can define "being a photographer" a lot of different ways.
    His commitment to SM was highly publicised, even controversial. Where is he now?
    Yup - I'm still committed to SmugMug! They rock!

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

edited August 11, 2009
    Where's DJ? even controversial.

Was never controversial to us, DJ has been one of our top supporters from the day we met.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Cool. It's good to hear more from you DJ. I wasn't trying to offend, just wondering where you've been. You're part of the reason I made the move to SM.
  • thomasgcampbellthomasgcampbell Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2012
    I am guessing David Jay is no longer associated with Smugmug?

[img][/img]

I am amazed he would write that Smugmug is for amateurs and landscape photographers. I have been happily serving my clients through smugmug as a pro for several years and used it many years before as an amateur.

But then again, if you look at the "quality" that David Jay produced as a wedding photographer on the top of his game in 2006 and the complete disregard for his client's feelings now, maybe we all thought too highly of him.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    youch.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited March 23, 2012

Yes, we are sorry to say that DJ has long since back stabbed us and left the party. I really feel bad for him and truly wish him the best.

Markham
    edited March 23, 2012
    That makes him even more lame than he already is.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012

[img][/img]

I am amazed he would write that Smugmug is for amateurs and landscape photographers. I have been happily serving my clients through smugmug as a pro for several years and used it many years before as an amateur.

But then again, if you look at the "quality" that David Jay produced as a wedding photographer on the top of his game in 2006 and the complete disregard for his client's feelings now, maybe we all thought too highly of him.
    BTW, Thomas, I think this is against the TOS of the private, paid community where that post came from. ;-) Not that I condone recent endeavors of DJ, but just wanted to mention that. Slightly un-cool.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    BTW, Thomas, I think this is against the TOS of the private, paid community where that post came from. ;-) Not that I condone recent endeavors of DJ, but just wanted to mention that. Slightly un-cool.

=Matt=

Matt,

Do you mean copying and posting the info or would simply providing the information as to what he said be in violation of the TOS and / or "un-cool?

Sam
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Matt,

Do you mean copying and posting the info or would simply providing the information as to what he said be in violation of the TOS and / or "un-cool?

Sam

The part where it's a verbatim screenshot of a private community with a TOS that says you can't circulate content publicly. I think, however, that a general paraphrase of what is being discussed might be "legal"... The part I think is "uncool" is the slight disrespect to the TOS of a private community.

Not trying to be an ass, I just happened to recognize the conversation and know the TOS.
    edited March 25, 2012
    hmm... shouldn't matt be our smugmug artist in residence? mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited March 25, 2012

=Matt=

The part where it's a verbatim screenshot of a private community with a TOS that says you can't circulate content publicly. I think, however, that a general paraphrase of what is being discussed might be "legal"... The part I think is "uncool" is the slight disrespect to the TOS of a private community.

Not trying to be an ass, I just happened to recognize the conversation and know the TOS.

As I am not, have never been, and will never be a part of that community, I don't really care. I can't violate the TOS as I never agreed to it. Posting this falls under fair use.

But good job of distracting from the real issue with something inconsequential. Screencapping just the pertinent part and posting it saves all the "He didn't really say that" nonsense that would have occurred had I just said "DJ said Smugmug is for amateurs!" and his loyal followers respond with "LIAR!"

It seems that the veil has been pulled away from the cult of personality that is David Jay and we are starting to see some of what is really behind that fantastic branding.
    edited March 25, 2012
    As I am not, have never been, and will never be a part of that community, I don't really care. I can't violate the TOS as I never agreed to it. Posting this falls under fair use.

But good job of distracting from the real issue with something inconsequential. Screencapping just the pertinent part and posting it saves all the "He didn't really say that" nonsense that would have occurred had I just said "DJ said Smugmug is for amateurs!" and his loyal followers respond with "LIAR!"

It seems that the veil has been pulled away from the cult of personality that is David Jay and we are starting to see some of what is really behind that fantastic branding.

Thomas, if it was not you, then where did you find the image, if I may ask? It may be "fair use" from your own legal standpoint, but not someone else's...

BTW I don't intend to distract from a healthy discussion on a subject such as whether or not DJ's teachings are worthwhile, or the relatively harmless question that you asked when posting the screencapture. There is always room for healthy discussion here. However I don't really see how this discussion can be healthy, in fact posting his statements here borders on inflammatory. If I may be so forward to ask, what was your goal in posting the screenshot? To simply get an answer to your question? If that is the case, then you have your answer already. ;-)

Like I said, I ALSO strongly disagree with many things DJ says. I'm simply hoping that "the lynch mob mentality" doesn't happen here at DGrin. Everybody says "oh but I care about the industry too much to just sit back quietly and not speak up"... Really? If people truly cared about fixing the situation, a well-crafted, private message to DJ would go a lot further towards convincing him that he's wrong. Or, a few thousand private messages. But the public one-liner insults and twitter tantrums?? Mostly they just make your "opponent" dislike you even more, or at least refuse to see things your way.

Just some food for thought. I know you probably were NOT trying to start a flame war, I'm just describing how quickly that kinda stuff can happen if we're not careful. Fair enough?

=Matt=
    edited March 25, 2012
    Thomas, if it was not you, then where did you find the image, if I may ask? It may be "fair use" from your own legal standpoint, but not someone else's...
    It isn't really relevant.
    BTW I don't intend to distract from a healthy discussion on a subject such as whether or not DJ's teachings are worthwhile, or the relatively harmless question that you asked when posting the screencapture. There is always room for healthy discussion here. However I don't really see how this discussion can be healthy, in fact posting his statements here borders on inflammatory. If I may be so forward to ask, what was your goal in posting the screenshot? To simply get an answer to your question? If that is the case, then you have your answer already. ;-)
    I thought it was outrageous that a Smugmug Artist in Residence would say that about Smugmug. I've been with Smugmug since Sept 2005 and clearly remember when DJ became an A-I-R as it coincided with when I started getting interested in shooting weddings.
    Like I said, I ALSO strongly disagree with many things DJ says. I'm simply hoping that "the lynch mob mentality" doesn't happen here at DGrin. Everybody says "oh but I care about the industry too much to just sit back quietly and not speak up"... Really? If people truly cared about fixing the situation, a well-crafted, private message to DJ would go a lot further towards convincing him that he's wrong. Or, a few thousand private messages. But the public one-liner insults and twitter tantrums?? Mostly they just make your "opponent" dislike you even more, or at least refuse to see things your way.

Just some food for thought. I know you probably were NOT trying to start a flame war, I'm just describing how quickly that kinda stuff can happen if we're not careful. Fair enough?

=Matt=

Fair enough, but all that could have been said in private, too, eh?
    edited March 25, 2012
    It isn't really relevant.
    Maybe not to you, but it is relevant to the moderators / owners of the community of which the TOS were violated. Of course you aren't obligated to divulge the information if you don't feel like it; I just thought I'd ask in case the answer was as easy as "saw it floating around Twitter" or something.

I thought it was outrageous that a Smugmug Artist in Residence would say that about Smugmug. I've been with Smugmug since Sept 2005 and clearly remember when DJ became an A-I-R as it coincided with when I started getting interested in shooting weddings.
    I totally agree with you. Just making sure you're a concerned community member and not a troll. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has been using SmugMug since 2005; I've been around since then myself and I value our community. It was just suspect that you joined DGrin just to make that one single post. I'm sure you can understand that!

Fair enough, but all that could have been said in private, too, eh?
    Well like I said, I just wanted to make it clear what this community is about, and let everyone know there are better ways to get a message across than the crucifying currently going on in other communities.

=Matt=
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    I must be missing something here. Mr. Jay hasn't been active on Dgrin for well over a year now. His total post count of less than 60 seems to indicate that he was never that active here in the first place.

He's found another site that fits his needs better than Smugmug, so what? While its a sign of poor judgement its hardly earthshaking. What is the real issue?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I must be missing something here. Mr. Jay hasn't been active on Dgrin for well over a year now. His total post count of less than 60 seems to indicate that he was never that active here in the first place.

He's found another site that fits his needs better than Smugmug, so what? While its a sign of poor judgement its hardly earthshaking. What is the real issue?

Totally agreee. thumb.gif
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 26, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »

I think what shocked Thomas so much was the fact that DJ was not just another forum member, but an official artist-in-residence, who appeared to still be one even now / recently, when he made that comment about SmugMug.

Indeed, he's moved on, and this will blow over, and it was a low-blow to say such a thing even though it was in private.

*shrug*

=Matt=
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    I think what shocked Thomas so much was the fact that DJ was not just another forum member, but an official artist-in-residence, who appeared to still be one even now / recently, when he made that comment about SmugMug.

Indeed, he's moved on, and this will blow over, and it was a low-blow to say such a thing even though it was in private.

*shrug*

=Matt=

Sorry, but saying something on an internet forum (even a paid one, whatever the ToS) does not equate to saying it in private.

Personally, I think DJ has a lot of interesting things to say, you just need to filter the good stuff from the marketing and s%!t stirring.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012

eh?

Hi Thomas,

I think I can understand some of why the comments he made irritated you. It kind of comes off as a finger pointed at anyone who uses smugmug as being an amateur. I know, as do you that this is absolutely untrue. I know why I originally began hosting via SM (for consistant print quality) and I also know why I still host here. That is due to the outstanding customer service. I have had a few problems with prints over the years, but SM has always responded quick and even maybe overzealous to make things right. Andy Williams is connected to this forum nearly always and if all else fails is only a few pecks of the key oard away. SM has never left me hanging.

I assume you are as loyal to SM as I am and have recieved the sAme type of service. Another reason to be angry about the bashing.

I was moderator here in "weddings" for a stint a couple years ago and so I knew many of the forum members who frequented "weddings" when DJ became AIR. I was hesitant to drink the koolaide and always thought that something didnt seem right. I felt like he was only here to increase his fold and sell his wares rather than truely elevating the photogs that frequent dgrin. But it didnt last long. And. He never truely made any REAL contributions here.

I freely admit that much of what I have learned about digital photography I have learned here in this very forum. I have also, on occasion, gone out of the way to help others grow. And that is really what a good community is about.

The simple truth is that DJ hasnt been an active member in this community for quite awhile. He has moved on.

So has Dgrin.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    As anyone the right to free speech ? You all give the man this much free advertising for a statement he made = you are not confident
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited March 28, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    Sorry, but saying something on an internet forum (even a paid one, whatever the ToS) does not equate to saying it in private.

Personally, I think DJ has a lot of interesting things to say, you just need to filter the good stuff from the marketing and s%!t stirring.

Just because it's the internet, doesn't mean it's public. You enter your credit card information on the internet from time to time, I'd wager; can I have that info? My point being, there is at least a slight hint of "behind closed doors" when you have that many barriers for entry. It may not be as "in private" as a bedroom closet, but it's still a private community by a few standards...

=Matt=
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 28, 2012
    Just because it's the internet, doesn't mean it's public.

The reality is that anything you post, anywhere you post it, could become public whether it's private or not.
    And that is the point I believe Stuart is making.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
This discussion has been closed.