Publish to Facebook - Beta

Comments

• SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Just tried this outnlast night.
    Great new feature that will save me time.
    As others have suggested something other than then url would be cleaner.
    " See this picture on my site...."
  • cshoresalcshoresal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Not showing all of my fb albums
    I do love this function, and look forward to its continued development.

Not all of my facebook albums show up in the "Publish to Facebook" window. I think 24 of them show up, but there are far more than that. Am I the only one with this issue?
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
    http://photos.cShoresal.com
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    cshoresal wrote: »
    I do love this function, and look forward to its continued development.

Not all of my facebook albums show up in the "Publish to Facebook" window. I think 24 of them show up, but there are far more than that. Am I the only one with this issue?
    What are the gallery setting sharing settings in the galleries that don't show up? I'm guessing something there is preventing them from showing up.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited August 9, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    What are the gallery setting sharing settings in the galleries that don't show up? I'm guessing something there is preventing them from showing up.
    I thought maybe you were on to something, there, but there is a set of galleries (my portfolio related ones) that are all set up on facebook to be viewable by "everyone", but none of them show up for the export function from smugmug. ne_nau.gif
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
    edited August 9, 2011
    I thought maybe you were on to something, there, but there is a set of galleries (my portfolio related ones) that are all set up on facebook to be viewable by "everyone", but none of them show up for the export function from smugmug. ne_nau.gif
    I'm not sure I'm following you. headscratch.gif
    edited August 11, 2011
    Trying to describe a visual interface with words... not my strong suit...

So, on my personal facebook (since this doesn't work with pages yet) I have lots of fb albums. Most of them have their privacy/share setting set to "friends only", or "friends of friends". But my fb albums that I use to show off some of the pictures I feature on my smugmug have their privacy/share set to "everyone". Only one of those albums shows up in the Publish to Facebook beta feature. And most of the ones that +do+ show up are set to friends or friends of friends.

Clearer, I hope?
    I'm not sure I'm following you. headscratch.gif
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
    edited August 11, 2011
    Trying to describe a visual interface with words... not my strong suit...

So, on my personal facebook (since this doesn't work with pages yet) I have lots of fb albums. Most of them have their privacy/share setting set to "friends only", or "friends of friends". But my fb albums that I use to show off some of the pictures I feature on my smugmug have their privacy/share set to "everyone". Only one of those albums shows up in the Publish to Facebook beta feature. And most of the ones that +do+ show up are set to friends or friends of friends.

Clearer, I hope?
    Ahh, much clearer. Have you tried deleting the gallery and trying again? It know it's a pain, but there's so many bugs at SM that clear up when you do this. ne_nau.gif
    edited August 11, 2011
    Ahh, much clearer. Have you tried deleting the gallery and trying again? It know it's a pain, but there's so many bugs at SM that clear up when you do this. ne_nau.gif

Ugh, I really hope it doesn't come to that. I can't really delete the existing facebook albums. They have a lot of discussion & links in the comments that I don't want to lose. Hopefully, this is one of those bugs that they'll fix up. Meanwhile, it's of almost no use to me, unfortunately. That's too bad because it could have been a nice time saver.
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Ugh, I really hope it doesn't come to that. I can't really delete the existing facebook albums. They have a lot of discussion & links in the comments that I don't want to lose. Hopefully, this is one of those bugs that they'll fix up. Meanwhile, it's of almost no use to me, unfortunately. That's too bad because it could have been a nice time saver.

Thank you Sally for bring this to our attention. I'll get an engineer to figure out what is the matter here.
    edited August 12, 2011
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    Thank you Sally for bring this to our attention. I'll get an engineer to figure out what is the matter here.
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to this going live, and especially for fb 'pages', too!
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
  • agutheraguther Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2011
    I only see a fraction of my facebook albums to select from. I think I counted 25. Where is the rest? I was using Internet Explorer 9.
    edited August 12, 2011
    They're working on it, agruther. I have the same issue, posted above.
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
  • cmmccmmc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Great stuff. It works like a charm.

I second (or third, fourth, hundreth?) the option to edit the text. The idea to propose standard text is handy for lots of photos, but I would also like an option "other" that allows you to customise the words - and the link.

There are a couple of other things I'd like to share my feedback on:

1. Would love an option to send it to facebook, but not necessarily publish it (i.e. just copy/sync the file); sometimes you have albums that are restricted and shouldn't be viewed by all your friends

2. Send videos too if possible - even if it's just small ones because of bandwidth issues etc...

3. Photos being sent as "LARGE" are not making use of Facebook's "max" size? Maybe it's a screen setting, but the black box/frame around the photo in FB looks too big. I thought this had been addressed looking at a previous comment, but maybe not yet.

Keep up the good work!
  • psycchic1psycchic1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    I'm also a huge advocate for enabling the ability to publish SmugMug images to a Page, rather than a personal account. I want my photog clients, fans, etc. to get these images off of my Page (www.facebook.com/LisaLangellPhotography) and not on my personal page. I want clear lines of separation there (not that I post anything juicy on my personal page anyway, but still.)

I'm wondering if this is a SmugMug limitation, or a Facebook one. Seems Facebook also limits what groups, pages, etc. you can access/"Like" from your "Page" profile, versus your personal one. Frustrating at times...
    Lisa Langell
    LangellPhotography.com
    Honorable Mention (2010) National Wildlife Federation
    "Photographing the world isn't simply documenting that you saw it...
    ...it's capturing how you experienced it!"
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    psycchic1 wrote: »
    I'm also a huge advocate for enabling the ability to publish SmugMug images to a Page, rather than a personal account. I want my photog clients, fans, etc. to get these images off of my Page (www.facebook.com/LisaLangellPhotography) and not on my personal page. I want clear lines of separation there (not that I post anything juicy on my personal page anyway, but still.)

I'm wondering if this is a SmugMug limitation, or a Facebook one. Seems Facebook also limits what groups, pages, etc. you can access/"Like" from your "Page" profile, versus your personal one. Frustrating at times...
    I'm pretty sure Smug could get this to happen if they wanted to. A bunch of us are begging for it & wondering why the capability didn't actually show up before personal profiles. When you have a business... anyway, all I know is I'm able to do that kind of thing from other photo sites like FAA & RB, so I would think Smug could do it as well.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited August 16, 2011
    psycchic1 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Smug could get this to happen if they wanted to. A bunch of us are begging for it & wondering why the capability didn't actually show up before personal profiles. When you have a business... anyway, all I know is I'm able to do that kind of thing from other photo sites like FAA & RB, so I would think Smug could do it as well.
    I recall somewhere earlier in the thread this was discussed and it's actually a fb limitation on their API. This doesn't surprise me as fb is constantly breaking/making new stuff all the time. ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011

Anna Lisa - we appreciate your patience. Please, we hear everything that is in this thread (we created it to specifically get feedback from you and all of our customers :D ) give us some time, we hope to have publish to pages. Thanks.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I've been using the Publish tool a bit now and I'm sure you guys just can't live without my feedback. ;-)
    • Like others have said, customizing the text would be great. As it is, I put in short links and hope people figure out that more from that day/event/whatever exist if they follow the link.
    • After the publish is done, the message makes me think it failed each time. It starts out, "Sorry for the..." and I just assume "inconvenience" is going to be the next word, telling me the publish failed. It has *never* been more than a 10 second wait and I really don't care how long it takes as long as they make it there. :-)
    • On the same "Publish finished" screen, dragging to select the text instead draws a selection rectangle. Letting go shows the message "3 photos selected", even though no photos are displayed. (IE9, haven't tested in others)
    This is an incredibly useful feature to me and I hope someday to see it expanded to other services. Uploading photos *once* to SmugMug and then publishing to Facebook and others like Flickr/500px/etc would be awesome for my personal time and bandwidth.

Thanks guys!
  • KoryLKoryL Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2011
    Excellent feature!
    I just tried out this new feature and I just had to come on dgrin and rave about how perfect it works. I love that it allows me to just select a few shots from a gallery. This is exactly what I was hoping for in my "publish to facebook" workflow.

Kudos to the entire Smugmug Team!

Kory
  • ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I've used the Facebook tool it a couple times and it works great. A suggestion I have would be to give the actual measurements of the photo sizes instead of just saying small, medium or large. I believe Facebook has increased their size limitation to 960x960 and that's what I'd like to send. But I can't tell what small, medium and large actually mean. It seems that tonight when I chose large, I got pics that only measured 800x530. As long as Facebook allows for 960x960 could you increase your "large" to be that?

Thanks! wings.gif
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Missing something
    I've done this once before with success, but now I'm missing something. I've gone to goodies and I'm still joined. Pop up blockers still not enabled. Not using chrome. Nothing has changed that I know of since I last did this. I'm not getting user only options when I go to the "share" button for FB. I know I fumbled through this last time, not sure what I'm missing. Ugh.

Thanks

Edit: (SLAP) that was me slapping myself in the forehead. Wrong "share" button. Thanks just the same
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
  • Titus213Titus213 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Sounds like a great option and it almost works for me....almost.

I selected the join for my custom url - www.norwoodphotos.com - the share button shows Publish to Facebook, that button opens a window showing all the images in the gallery, but that's it. I hit the FB login button and it lets me login and then disappears.

The gallery is - Rafting the Deschutes

I'm using Safari, with pop up blocker turned off, Adblock turned off, iMac, Mac OS 10.6
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Looking forward to Page-enabled publishing. I'd actually want that more than Personal publishing. That's my 2 cents.
    edited August 31, 2011
    I'm looking forward to getting it to work at all.
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    It would be great if Facebook friends could add keywords to photos. It would be nice to let them add names for people in photos.

Publish to Facebook doesn't seem to work with FB accounts tied to e-mails not associated with Smugmug account.

If would be nice to configure FB accounts in "Your Social Accounts" directly. Having to publish via "be social" to link to FB account is a little obscure.

When publish to FB works it's great. When it doesn't it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot.

It would help if you had a sticky thread that listed all of the fixes or issues at the top so we don't have to read through five pages of posts to see what's causing the problems we're experiencing. I gathered from one post that there is an issue with Chrome, but after trying to get it to work on four computers with three browsers, it finally started to work on Chrome. Of course after posting a gallery, I had to push my luck and change my SM login/e-mail to link to a different FB account. So, I'm back to the FB publish not working.
    edited August 31, 2011
    Unfortunately anything this unreliable/unpredictable just isn't worth the time and effort. I'll check back in the future and see it all is working....and out of beta.
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
    edited September 1, 2011
    So what do I need to fix when the F Login button appears in the bottom right of the publish to FB window instead of Select All and the other buttons? Sometimes I get a valid login window, login and it returns to the same window with the pictures and only the F Login button. After that clicking on the F Login button flashes a window and nothing happens. I've tried removing the beta, removing SM rights in FB and starting over only to have the same results. After doing this many times then removing SM from trusted sites it worked. Then I changed my SM e-Mail to one associated with a different SM account and I'm back to it not working. Any suggestions on getting publish to FB to work?
    edited September 2, 2011
    martinjp2 wrote: »
    So what do I need to fix when the F Login button appears in the bottom right of the publish to FB window instead of Select All and the other buttons? Sometimes I get a valid login window, login and it returns to the same window with the pictures and only the F Login button. After that clicking on the F Login button flashes a window and nothing happens. I've tried removing the beta, removing SM rights in FB and starting over only to have the same results. After doing this many times then removing SM from trusted sites it worked. Then I changed my SM e-Mail to one associated with a different SM account and I'm back to it not working. Any suggestions on getting publish to FB to work?

Sounds like the same issues I'm having but I never did get it to work. Are you on a Mac?
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
    edited September 2, 2011
    Pc
    Titus213 wrote: »
    Sounds like the same issues I'm having but I never did get it to work. Are you on a Mac?

No, I use a PC. Fought it for couple of days and finally got it to work. Switched my e-mails and the problem returned.
    edited September 6, 2011
    Works with the wrong account
    martinjp2 wrote: »

So I was logged into FB with my other account and went to Smugmug with my account login and password for the other FB account which I thought I had Smugmug set to and Publish to FB worked, but I don't want the pictures in that FB account.

The "Your Social Accounts" really needs to be an edit dialog where you can set all of the linking parameters.

I'd really prefer if Smugmug allowed my FB friends to add keywords to my Smugmug pictures!!!!!!!

I won't post pictures of people to Facebook. Their facial recognition freeks me out! Talk about big brother.
This discussion has been closed.