Viet nam - Cai Rang Floating market

vietnam_dgrinervietnam_dgriner Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Journeys
Just 6 km from Cantho in the direction of Soc Trang is Cai Rang, the biggest floating market in the Mekong Delta. There is a bridge here which serves as a great vantage point for photography. The market is best before 9 am, are though some vendors hang out until noon, it’s less lively by then.
Cai Rang can be seen from the road, but it is far more interesting to reach by boat. From the market area in Cantho it takes about an hour by river, or you can drive to the Cau Dau Sau boat landing (by the Dau Sau Bridge), from where it only takes about 10 minutes to reach the market.

During the early morning market hours, larger sized boats anchor and create lanes that smaller boats weave in and out of. The waterway becomes a maze of hundreds of boats packed with mango, bananas, papaya, pineapple, and even smuggled goods like cigarettes.Sellers do not have to cry out about their goods because their goods can be seen in a distance and their cries would not be heard in the vastness of the river and the noise of boat engines. Small boats that sell beer, soft drinks and wine go among the other boats to serve market-goers and visitors. Sellers tie their goods to a tall pole so that buyers can see from a distance what they are selling.

Each boat is loaded with plenty of seasonal goods. Activities at the market are also an occasion for tourists to study the cultural aspects of southerners.

and here my photos :
it's near my house and me and my friend come there and then hire a boat and we went too soon before sunrise :

and here my team :

_DSC2472-1.jpg

Sunrise at Hau river :

DSC_4777-1.jpg

we decide to Phong Dien Floating market first and near cai rang floating market.

_DSC2493-1.jpg

after shot some 10-15 minute we had breafast and back to Cai Rang :

the single women :

DSC_4901-1.jpg

the family :

DSC_4933-1.jpg

_DSC2520-1.jpg

_DSC2481.jpg

and trade something :

_DSC2512-1.jpg

_DSC2506-1.jpg

_DSC2535-1.jpg

the kid :

_DSC2527-1.jpg

two woman :

_DSC2541-1.jpg

DSC_4892-2.jpg

two men :

DSC_4909.jpg

and alot of tour visit floating market almost are foreigner

DSC_4875-1.jpg

and photographers (maybe)

DSC_4894-1.jpg

and i noticed this girl :

DSC_4896-1.jpg

and always smiles :

DSC_4908.jpg
follow me on Instagram Nhanleig

My photos

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Beautiful images. I'd like to be one of those tourists/photogs some day in the future.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Beautiful images. I'd like to be one of those tourists/photogs some day in the future.

Cuong

With a bigger smile, of course. :D
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Nice piece
    It looks like there is much to photo in that part of the world. I hope to go someday. What to the local people think about the tourists?

Rogerthumb.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Osprey wrote:
    It looks like there is much to photo in that part of the world. I hope to go someday. What to the local people think about the tourists?

Rogerthumb.gif
    Tourists contribute to the local economy and the local people can use all the help they can get. So in this case, it's a win-win situation.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips