Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA how fast and accurate AF is?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited July 15, 2016 in Cameras
The new Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA is here. Is there anybody here who can inform us about the speed and accuracy of the AF capabilities of this awesome lens? Has anybody tested it? Online reviews don't reveal anything about AF.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited July 13, 2016
    I don't see that any reviewer has had the lens for more than 2 days, so the reviews posted are really "previews" and early perceptions. Optically, this lens looks to be very nice, with a pleasing bokeh at largest apertures and reasonable, but not perfect, vignetting wide open. Color and contrast look excellent.

Autofocus performance will probably depend on the host body to a large degree. No current Sony mirrorless body has Canon/Nikon Pro-dSLR AF performance in low light, so indoors and evening to dark outdoors will predictably suffer (compared to the leaders).

For best autofocus performance in current digital, interchangeable lens bodies, Nikon/Canon professional and advanced enthusiast dSLR bodies are currently best in both AF speed and AF accuracy. Factor in the rather clumsy user interface of Sony ILCE bodies (IMO) and I think you will see why Sony still has a way to go for top-tier photographers' acceptance in wedding/event and sports/action photography fields.

Make no mistake, Sony is coming up fast, and if they achieve cross-type and double - cross-type AF sensor capabilities, along with color-based tracking capabilities and competent AF-Assist technologies, they will seriously compete with current leaders.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Thanks so much! IT may not be for me then. I am a wedding photographer located in Florida. Sun sets early here and half of the day I am working with no or very limited light. Sony is very promising though.... I would like to see "Zeiss" lenses on fast reacting DSLR bodies...