Can you believe I still have my Canon 20D

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited September 30, 2016 in Cameras
I have been watching fellow photographers gravitate to newer, fancier Canon D series DSLR's and they keep prodding me to get rid of my 4 generations back (?) Canon 20D but you know what... I still love my 20D and I'm not getting rid of it any time soon:wink

Am I alone in this? (probably laughing at me already lol)

I also still maintain my smugmug gallery at 360photostock.com
although it's not as active as it used to be and needs a little
cleaning up of old c_ap I should have removed ages ago but
I tell / recommend every photographer I meet to setup shop there.

I have not been back in the Dgrin forum for a LOOOONG time.
So hello to anyone who might remember my early D:D days
and Happy holidays to you all.
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    The 20D is definitely a great camera. I have one, and, although it doesn't have the bells and whistles of newer cameras, it can still produce great shots. I'm selling mine because I have a 1D2 and I want to get some lenses. But yeah, if it still works for you... that's great!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited November 29, 2011
    I have 3 - Canon XT/350D bodies, from about the same era as the Canon 20D. (One of them is converted to IR however.) As long as something works for you there is no need for replacement or discard.

No, they're not my only bodies, but older bodies can still be productive; at least as productive as when they were new. The Canon 20D you own is actually better now if you have current software. A new RAW converter can draw out better images now than the software that was available when your camera was new.

Enough talk. Let's see some shots. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AWPhotoAWPhoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2011
    I still have mine, its one of my backup cameras. Actually when I was training my second photographer before she got to the point where she is now, she used my 20D at weddings. Still a stellar camera.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Still have mine. Haven't touched it since I bought my original 5D, or around then.. Often thought about shooting sports with it due to the high FPS vs my 5D's. Just not sure how well AI focus works in lower light..
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Not a 20D, but I'm living with my 30D which has to be close to the end of its expected life. Between health issues, pay cuts, and the fact that I'm too lazy to try and make any money off my photography, I'm pretty much stuck with it. I just love the hobby for what it is. But boy would I love to have a 5D MKII with some L-glass.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    I still have my 20D, it stopped auto focusing, so I bought a 7D....funny thing, the 20D started working again. I also have my 6mp Digital Rebel, it didn't even have a number series on it when I got. It still works, sucks with flash, but outside it's still produces good images. I don't see much reason to sell any of them, since it's always good to have a backup. On that note I had my Rebel with me on a Jeep trip to Moab UT when the 20D's AF quit, so I used it for the rest of the trip.....nobody ever says why is this picture worse than this picture, when looking at the photos from the trip.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    I still had my 300D (original digital rebel) for a couple years after I got my 50D, but I never used it. It wasn't so much the image quality, but I found the 3-second startup delay (and wake-from-sleep delay) and lousy throughput on writing images to the flash to be maddening after I got used to how fast my 50D was at doing the same things. I never bothered to sell it, because I didn't expect it would be worth enough to bother, so I gave it to a friend of mine who was interested in getting started in photography but didn't have a lot of cash available to spend on gear.

--Ian
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Had one, sold it. Bought a second one a year ago for use as a backup because they are so cheap these days to pick up. Still a performer now, just as it was when they came out. 8mp is enough for most things and I can live with iso1600 or less (3200 is basically useless).
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 3, 2011
    I still have mine and it works as well as it did when I first bought it new. But I only use it on the rare occasion that I am shooting an event and want to carry two bodies. The resale value of 20Ds is so low that it doesn't make sense to me to sell it.
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I fit makes you feel better I still am using my 30D but am getting a 7D soon. I also remember your posts.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I bought my nikon D70s in 2007 and still use it as a backup for my D700. I use it for backpack type of holidays as well. Last summer I took it to Edinburgh and other parts of Scotland. Still a great camera!
    Two shots:
    DSC6120-M.jpg
    DSC6393-M.jpg
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The resale value of 20Ds is so low that it doesn't make sense to me to sell it.

if it still works it's worth keeping
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I am still using a D60 (the model prior to the 10D). The thing I am dissatisfied with is the size of the LCD on the back for instant sharing and review.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    The geek in me loves classic cameras. Personally, I owned two Nikon D70's back in the day, and I regret selling them off over the years. I think that soon I will treat myself to a used D70 for casual shooting; especially for "goofing around" with friends and wireless flash. I love having the 1/500th sync speed, although ironically I suppose a D200 / D80 with ISO 100 capability is the same thing. Hey, it's the novelty that counts right?

Here's a 20D image that I still treasure today:
    256905784_8dTRi-XL-5.jpg

And here's a D70 image that still gets comments all the time:
    36456817_Pgbh5-XL-11.jpg

(And yes, for you URL peepers, I've re-edited that image eleven times!)

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Markjay wrote: »
    I have been watching fellow photographers gravitate to newer, fancier Canon D series DSLR's and they keep prodding me to get rid of my 4 generations back (?) Canon 20D but you know what... I still love my 20D and I'm not getting rid of it any time soonmwink.gif

I can believe it. You always were stingy. blbl.gif

Hope you have a great holiday. Maybe Santa will bring you a modern camera.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    me too
    Still have mine and plan on using it up until Saturday afternoon----bought a pristine used 1D mk III from Adorama that should show up tomorrow!

Plan on keeping the 20D though until it dies. Been doing portraits, sports, band group shots up to 12x18, and everything else without a complaint. Great backup body and knowing its limitations and strengths there is no reason not to keep using it. A lot of weddings and sports were shot in the early 2000's with this body and we all thought they were great pics then.

Important thing is to use it!
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    Sure I believe it!
    I still shoot with a Canon D60 (not 60D) which I have converted into full-time infra red.

875386142_fs3F5-L.jpg

Believe it or not, DSLR cameras do not cease to take decent images when a new model rolls off the assembly line!
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I can well believe it. I know a couple of people who still produce great photos using Nikon D70s. The only reason my four year old Olympus E-510 isn't still my main camera is because I do occasionally give in to a bout of GAS (but hey - I've not bought a new camera body since April 2010 and have been in remission from GAS since then).
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 17, 2011
    Pictures need good light and interesting subjects.

Shot with a 10D in March of 2004

1112774252_whMwH-L.jpg

Shot with a 10D on October 2003, probably very soon after I purchased the 10D.

964588595_rTKnq-L.jpg

Both shot as jpgs back then. I wish I could still shoot this good. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PhotoartsPhotoarts Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2011
    I have been watching fellow photographers gravitate to newer, fancier Canon D series DSLR's and they keep prodding me to get rid of my 4 generations back (?) Canon 20D but you know what... I still love my 20D and I'm not getting rid of it any time soonmwink.gif

Yes I can! 20D is a wonderful camera and I only sold mine a couple of months ago after I had upgraded and strarted to use the 7D. See my Smugmug gallery linked below and all the wonderful shots I took with my 20D for over 5+ years. It was the most substantial leap Canon had taken in digital imaging both in terms of quality and afordability at the time. It was hard to part with it but I loved it when I had it!
  • avmanavman Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I have two!
    I have two 20D and one 30D. I use them all when I need too. About the only thing I wish they had is the ability to write faster to the card when shooting aircraft that go whistling by at 300+ knots
    I really don't have anything nifty to say so I will remain quiet and observe!

Tom

http://avman.smugmug.com/
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    One thing I see people mentioning a lot when using older cameras is the buffer size / write speed. Personally, I just take that as a challenge to shoot my images in JPG, sometimes even with medium compression, and just try to nail the shots. If you turn the in-camera contrast all the way down, a JPG image really isn't all that bad as far as blowing highlights etc. is concerned. I shot aircraft pretty successfully on an old Nikon D70, without ever really wishing for a larger buffer. Of course I was stuck at 3 FPS, while the 20D was already rockin' 5 FPS. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    There are probably people out there with 10D cameras that are jealous :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    You Know every camera model has its good and bad, i still LOVE my old Classic 1D and my D70s, I use them all the time. I had one great 30D i should have kept, sold it to finance something else, the next one i got, was not as good. If it does the job, that's what counts.
  • alhamalham Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2016
    I just bought my new (Old) 20D!
    Got mine for USD50+ from Ebay. Yes! I think this unit will still be useful. For wildlife, birding etc... I plan to just keep my Canon 400mm L lens on this body. Effectively, I will have a 640mm prime on this. Longer reach!

• EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    I have my old Canon Digital Rebel / 300D. The first digital Canon. It looks like a point and shoot but still takes amazing images.
  • AlRohrerAlRohrer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2016
    My primary cameras are a 5D III and a 5D II but I still have my 20D and 10D and occasionally use both. When I like something, I tend to keep it. Besides, they make good loaners when family or friends come around and want to use some of my equipment.
  • kreygscottkreygscott Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2016
    Still rocking my EOS 20D

I still shoot with my 20D alongside my 50D and T1i. Given their stellar build quality and performance I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon. thumb.gif