iMac

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited November 10, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Being a long time (forever) PC user, I still couldn't help but salivate over Apple's 24" iMac offering. I was trying to convince myself that I needed it so I was doing a little research and to my dismay found that folks were having lockup problems.

Here is the latest info I could find at qj.net.

Apple users have speculated that the new iMac lockups were products of bad software design (hence Apple's attempts to update the software), but new discoveries pegged these reasons as unfounded. Instead, evidence began to point at the hardware side of Apple's iMac line, and graphical anomalies hinted that the graphics chip was at fault.

The embedded ATi Radeon HD 2400 XT (with accompanying 2600 PRO) graphics processor unit (GPU) stood as the iMac's current video engine, and it was singled out in particular. Users said that some defective iMacs were also exhibiting graphical artifacts - the same artifacts that hardware enthusiasts would encounter after overclocking their GPUs a tad too much.

Heat dissipation is the prime reason for the graphical artifacts, but currently there haven't been no permanent solution announced or implemented by the company. Apple is still investigating the lockup issues, and it has yet to respond to these new finds.

On to other thoughts...at least for now.:D

Comments

• LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I think that the problem is affecting a small percentage of iMacs, and is generally overblown. We have 2 24" iMacs in the lab I work at (one Al, and one of the older white ones), and both of them are perfect. I am yet to experience issues with them.

An important thing to keep in mind is that the disgruntled voices are usually the loudest.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I think it's pretty much a non-issue. It's a small percentage, it would be covered under warranty. You've got little at risk, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think it's pretty much a non-issue. It's a small percentage, it would be covered under warranty. You've got little at risk, IMO.

You know, David, it would be my luck to be part of 1%!

I'm in no hurry...so I'll continue to look at this for awhile.

I have Vista on my new Sony laptop and hate it. I figure if I have to learn the ins and outs of a new OS, I might as well make it a good one.

The iMac is priced appropriately IMO.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    You know, David, it would be my luck to be part of 1%!

That's your Windows pessimism. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited November 10, 2007
    Lovesong wrote:
    disgruntled voices are usually the loudest.

Always. nod.gif

Thanks for the input.:D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I have Vista on my new Sony laptop and hate it. I figure if I have to learn the ins and outs of a new OS, I might as well make it a good one.

Hey Ric,

What sort of problems are making you hate Vista? Is it anything we could help with over here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75639 ?
    If so, come ask! If it's going to be a while before you make the switch maybe we could help make that time less frustrating!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Hey Ric,

What sort of problems are making you hate Vista? Is it anything we could help with over here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75639 ?
    If so, come ask! If it's going to be a while before you make the switch maybe we could help make that time less frustrating!
    thumb.gif Love the attitude, Pupator. Good karma.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited November 10, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Hey Ric,

Since I only use my laptop 5-10% of my computing time, and, I have XP pro on my main box...the differences are just plain irritating. Seems like every time I do something I have to dismiss one or two more dialog boxes to continue on. Just plain silly stuff IMO. I wish I could be more specific...but I actually avoid using it as much as possible and really have not learned Vista...yet.

Plus Sony loads it up with crapware that you have to wade through. Resisting change is probably my biggest problem. It takes time to get things the way you want them and I have yet to do that. I wanted a Dell XPS laptop with XP pro on it...but Dell screwed me there (another long story) so out of spite I went to the Sony. Nothing like screwing yourself!