Wrong flash version, no Warning message??

PatVPatV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited June 6, 2010 in Bug Reporting
Is there a way to have a warning message given to the viewer if the wrong version of flash is installed on the computer. I noticed that if the wrong version is installed, simply nothing happen if a slideshow has been added (either on the main page or any other pages) The page just look empty, which is not very practical. And the customer as no clue that it must update the flash version since nothing is being mentioned to the customer...

This happen with any software, IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari... I saw that on more than one computer.

Thanks,
Patrick

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    With which Flash version did you try this? I'm not sure if this can be done or not, but if we know what Flash version you tried it with, we could take a look.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • PatVPatV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    With which Flash version did you try this? I'm not sure if this can be done or not, but if we know what Flash version you tried it with, we could take a look.

Sebastian

I would have to find out which version it was, but I think the problem was present with various versions as I saw it on different computers, so most probably with different versions installed on them.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    PatV wrote:
    I would have to find out which version it was, but I think the problem was present with various versions as I saw it on different computers, so most probably with different versions installed on them.
    Smugmug's homepage slideshow done with SM.flash.insertSlideshow does no flash version checking at all. I believe this means that if flash is not present or too old a version is present, then nothing shows at all (which is what it sounds like you saw).

The other slideshows (gallery slideshow and full screen slideshow) do appear to do version checking and the code looks like it tries to show the user a message when an old version is found or no flash is found, but since I don't have a computer with an old flash version on it, I've never seen it actually work. According to the code, it looks like Smugmug requires Flash version 7 or higher for video and version 9 or greater for slideshows, but I'm not completely sure about the specific version numbers.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Smugmug's homepage slideshow done with SM.flash.insertSlideshow does no flash version checking at all. I believe this means that if flash is not present or too old a version is present, then nothing shows at all (which is what it sounds like you saw).

The other slideshows (gallery slideshow and full screen slideshow) do appear to do version checking and the code looks like it tries to show the user a message when an old version is found or no flash is found, but since I don't have a computer with an old flash version on it, I've never seen it actually work. According to the code, it looks like Smugmug requires Flash version 7 or higher for video and version 9 or greater for slideshows, but I'm not completely sure about the specific version numbers.
    Just for interest, SM's home page does check for flash, it has a subroutine FlashInstalled which will check whether flash is installed, then show some gallery pics if it's not. (I don't have flash installed.)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    BigAl wrote:
    Just for interest, SM's home page does check for flash, it has a subroutine FlashInstalled which will check whether flash is installed, then show some gallery pics if it's not. (I don't have flash installed.)
    I'm talking about the slideshow that customers put on their own homepages using Smugmug's code, not about Smugmug's business homepage.

Here's an example: http://www.moonriverphotography.com.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm talking about the slideshow that customers put on their own homepages using Smugmug's code, not about Smugmug's business homepage.

Here's an example: http://www.moonriverphotography.com.
    Ok, what you're trying to get at is clearer now. Andy's site shows an empty window containing the flashblock icon, on my machine.
  • dounddound Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Just wondering if there are any plans to have some sort of message about flash not being installed show up if the flash slideshow cannot be loaded. That would be preferable to nothing showing up at all.