Stormy Night at the Airport

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
edited June 18, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
There was some nasty weather in the Charlotte area Tuesday evening, and I was hoping we were going to get some interesting diversions into CLT. Instead, we got some ugly thunderstorms that closed the ramp for close to an hour, creating a huge back up. At one point, tower said there were over 40 inbound aircraft sitting on various taxiways trying to get to the ramp, while nothing at the terminal could leave since the rampers were all inside avoiding the lightning.

1 - Before the weather got bad:

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_001-XL.jpg

2 - A ramp full of airplanes with no particular place to go.

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_006-XL.jpg

3 - Delta operations waiting for the all clear.

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_005-XL.jpg

4 - American Airlines ramp get back to business

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_002-XL.jpg

5 - A line of arriving flights waiting on the taxiway for their turn at a gate.

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_004-XL.jpg

6 - Lightning strike south of the airport - this was after the worst of the weather passed through.

JM_2016_06_14_CLT_Ramp_003-XL.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Nice! I especially like the crispiness of #3!
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Great series! #5 is great. #1 looks a bit chaotic even before the storm!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    I absolutely HATE flying and all that it contains... because I have to travel -- yet these are awesome! Oh my lands #5 is too real....love it from a viewer...hate it as a flier. #6 is awesome and please --seen enough of this from the air...no like but love your photo. Seriously like the comps and the lighting. Are you taking these from the window? I like the subtle ghost effect in #2... (feel like one myself as a passenger) but the last... awesome!!!!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice! I especially like the crispiness of #3!
    Thank you very much!
    edited June 16, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Great series! #5 is great. #1 looks a bit chaotic even before the storm!
    Thank you - I was really happy with the way #5 turned out. CLT is the fifth busiest airport in the US, so it can be chaotic at the best of times!
    edited June 16, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    I absolutely HATE flying and all that it contains... because I have to travel -- yet these are awesome! Oh my lands #5 is too real....love it from a viewer...hate it as a flier. #6 is awesome and please --seen enough of this from the air...no like but love your photo. Seriously like the comps and the lighting. Are you taking these from the window? I like the subtle ghost effect in #2... (feel like one myself as a passenger) but the last... awesome!!!!
    Thank you, AnnaMaria! I understand it's not quite the same when you're sitting in the plane in those conditions. I was shooting from the parking deck in front of the main terminal. CLT has an overlook next to the approach end of one of the runways, which gives some great close up views, but this new parking deck opened last year - first hour free! - and it offers photographers and plane watchers a different perspective on the field.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 17, 2016
    Wonderful shots! Especially love # 5.

--- Denise
    edited June 17, 2016
    Thank you, Denise!
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
    Yes, me too: When I scrolled to #5 my heart skipped a beat. Gorgeous!! (Next favorite #6 -- gotta love the lightning!) (And -all- of them, of course. They're planes!!) --Carter
    edited June 18, 2016
    Thank you, Carter!