Canon 5DmkIII - service announcement - light leak issue

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 9, 2012 in Cameras
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-service-advisory/

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for using Canon products.

The phenomenon described below has been confirmed when using the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.

Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are decided, we will post the information on our Web site.

Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change as a result of the AE sensor’s detection of light from the LCD panel.

Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Support
Once the preparations are complete, we will be making an announcement on our Web site.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

Source: [CUSA]

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Nice to see Canon acknowledging this issue so quickly though I'm still not sure how big of an issue it is...
    Mad that this means my local store probably won't get stock of 5D mk III's for weeks if not months now :cry
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    The LCD panel on top or the LCD screen?

Either way, I don't care as long as it only affects the metering and not the sensor. I'll have it fixed at a convenient time instead of ASAP.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    It's the LCD screen lighting up with some light apparently leaking through the viewfinder (?) and affecting metering. The first guys to find this were doing tests with body cap on. Later it looked like it might be an issue in very, very dark conditions where the metering would be thrown off by 1EV or so. I guess if you were doing night shots of stars and had the screen on for live view, you might end up with incorrect exposure (if you were in Av mode that is)...

Real world though, I don't know that it is a big deal. Just wanted to post it so 5Diii owners were aware.
    edited April 13, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    It's the LCD screen lighting up with some light apparently leaking through the viewfinder (?) and affecting metering. The first guys to find this were doing tests with body cap on. Later it looked like it might be an issue in very, very dark conditions where the metering would be thrown off by 1EV or so. I guess if you were doing night shots of stars and had the screen on for live view, you might end up with incorrect exposure (if you were in Av mode that is)...

Real world though, I don't know that it is a big deal. Just wanted to post it so 5Diii owners were aware.

Yeah, thanks for that :D I registered since the earlier the better.

Real world its not that big of a deal though. I shoot low light and night pretty often, and metering is the least of my concerns. Focusing in near darkness is, since I use manual exposure %99.99 of the time. Using the MKII of course. Now it'll just get darker. Lol.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    The LCD panel on top or the LCD screen?

Either way, I don't care as long as it only affects the metering and not the sensor. I'll have it fixed at a convenient time instead of ASAP.

Its the top LCD, not the back image viewing LCD. Frankly, I don't think I have ever used the light on the top LCD, I prefer to use the back LCD info screen in dark.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    There was no way I could have afforded this camera now anyway (despite suffering from severe gearlust/envy!), but I will never be an early adopter for ANYTHING after my experience with my first-batch-on-the-streets 2002 Saturn Vue. Fabulous car (I bought a 2nd one before they went under), customer service was great, everything was fixeable, fixed and handled in a timely manner but.... Never again rolleyes1.gif Seems like it's pretty typical for any manufacturer these days - early units invariably reveal problems that didn't show up during testing.

Sorry you all are having to deal with it, but sounds like Canon is right on top of things though. This camera is obviously going to be a big seller for them given the early reactions, so I'm sure they'll take care of all the folks who have one of these early units. Keep us all posted! thumb.gif
    edited April 14, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    Its the top LCD, not the back image viewing LCD. Frankly, I don't think I have ever used the light on the top LCD, I prefer to use the back LCD info screen in dark.

And 5D3's [Q] button is sooooo great for that...thumb.gif
    edited April 14, 2012
    I use the Q button more than the top LCD on the 7d too - very glad they've kept that layout in this new generation thumb.gif
    edited April 14, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I use the Q button more than the top LCD on the 7d too - very glad they've kept that layout in this new generation thumb.gif

Yup. They just added more buttons :-)
    edited April 15, 2012
    0.02 cent fix to a $3,500 defect mwink.gifrofl

CA04151211164389.jpg
    edited April 15, 2012
    ^^ LOVE!!!! Seriously, while of course Canon need to address the issue (which obviously they are) and it is important that it's resolved in due course, it really doesn't seem like a "the sky is falling" kind of problem. Props to the use of common sense... and duck tape! rolleyes1.gif
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    0.02 cent fix to a $3,500 defect mwink.gifrofl

Wait, but isn't the issue the LCD backlight itself leaking onto the AE sensor? The tape would keep external light out, but from my understanding the backlight is the primary source of the problem, unless of course you're shining a flashlight into your camera during a low light shoot.
    edited April 15, 2012
    Wait, but isn't the issue the LCD backlight itself leaking onto the AE sensor? The tape would keep external light out, but from my understanding the backlight is the primary source of the problem, unless of course you're shining a flashlight into your camera during a low light shoot.

Yes, that's correct: this won't help against the backlight.
    However, it will help against bright sun during the day and flashlight during the night. Also, the tape would be a clear visual clue to NOT use the backlight ;-)
    edited April 15, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    ^^ LOVE!!!! Seriously, while of course Canon need to address the issue (which obviously they are) and it is important that it's resolved in due course, it really doesn't seem like a "the sky is falling" kind of problem. Props to the use of common sense... and duck tape! rolleyes1.gif

It's not a duct tape. Neither it's a gaffer tape. Those leave nasty residue. :crydeal.gif
    It's what is called a "pleasure tape". It has ZERO adhesive and just sticks by the sheer physics of the extremely smooth surfaces bound together. No residue whatsoever. You can gaffer/duct on top for extra protection. The width of the tape fits the width of the LCD perfectly, as if it was designed for this very purpose. I have a roll of this tape I use sometimes during my shoots (not as often as I would like to, but only started to use it a few months ago mwink.gif)
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Canon now has a resolution for the light leak issue beginning in mid May.

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Thank you for using Canon products.

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.

Phenomenon
    In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.

Affected Product
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
    *Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
       For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)

Support
    Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

Thank you,
    Customer Support Operations
    Canon U.S.A., Inc

Contact Information for Inquiries
    Canon Customer Support Center
    Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
    1-800-652-2666
    TDD: 1-866-251-3752
    Email: carecenter@cits.canon.com

Source: Canon U.S.A.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Hmm, I don't see a resolution. I see a claim that it doesn't impact images. No resolution offered, no fix, no cause stated. Only that if you like you can send your camera in to be 'inspected'. Inspected...not repaired.

Very odd statement.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 24, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    Very odd statement.
    Masterfully ambiguous when combined with the statement that says it won't affect your images in ALMOST all shooting conditions. headscratch.gif
    edited April 24, 2012
    Mine falls into the xxxxx1 category but I haven't been disturbed by anything, really. If I need an AF adjustment or something I'll send it in for both... its under warranty after all
    edited April 24, 2012
    Mine falls into the xxxxx1 category but I haven't been disturbed by anything, really. If I need an AF adjustment or something I'll send it in for both... its under warranty after all

Mine's the same: xxxxx1... And it is surely affected... I don't get it... Is it an issue? I bet it is... Then goddamn fix it, or replace it, not just inspect it...
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Mine went back yesterday. I was getting a lot of lock ups with ERR 80, and my web research couldn't narrow it down to firmware or hardware as the cause. I'll be interested to check the serial number of the replacement.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    I have had NO issues whatsoever and I upgraded the firmware today which was just released. It won't fix the light issue.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited April 24, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Mine's the same: xxxxx1... And it is surely affected... I don't get it... Is it an issue? I bet it is... Then goddamn fix it, or replace it, not just inspect it...

Assuming that there is a defect, it may be either a "design" defect or a "production" defect. A design defect could indeed mean that all copies are affected. A production defect could mean that only certain dies/injection molds are affected, for instance.

It is not fair to assume the type or degree of affectation, and not all bodies may be problematic.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited April 24, 2012
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    Mine went back yesterday. I was getting a lot of lock ups with ERR 80, and my web research couldn't narrow it down to firmware or hardware as the cause. I'll be interested to check the serial number of the replacement.

Sadly, it does look like production of the 5D MKIII has been interrupted. If Canon has to replace rather than repair, it could be some time for a replacement to get to you.

If you are a CPS member and if the lack of a body will affect a coming shoot, make sure that you relay that information to CPS well in advance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 24, 2012
    This is why I'm going to wait firm for a couple more months, until all the "xxxx 1 & 2 xxxx" serial number kits are through the system. Last thing I want is to immediately send the thing back or have someone ask, years from now, if mine was one of the original light leak cameras.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 24, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    This is why I'm going to wait firm for a couple more months, until all the "xxxx 1 & 2 xxxx" serial number kits are through the system. Last thing I want is to immediately send the thing back or have someone ask, years from now, if mine was one of the original light leak cameras.

I understand that POV, but mine is totally opposite. As a result, I get to enjoy super clean high ISO, super fast AF and other 5D3 niceties way before the "fixed" mass production hits the market. And when it does, I'm fairly sure Canon makes good and will fix/replace my "faulty" body with a brand sparkly new one, so all my shutter counts will zero out :-)
    You cannot buy experience.deal.gif
    edited April 25, 2012
    I totally see where you're coming from, Nik, I do. For me, I don't earn but pennies from my shooting. And with also wanting a WA solution (16-35) along with the 24-105, and accessories like an RSS L-bracket and some other goodies, it's going to be a 7K investment getting into the FF game. I need to earn some extra cash while I wait for the right moment. And I can wait. But not too long. I went shooting RW Blackbirds the other night, and there was so much noise at 800 and 1600 with my 40D that it made me sick. Soon I won't be able to stand it any longer. I haven't melted down a credit card in a very long time. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Arggghhhh. :bash
    My Smugmug
    edited April 25, 2012
    I totally see where you're coming from, Nik, I do. For me, I don't earn but pennies from my shooting. And with also wanting a WA solution (16-35) along with the 24-105, and accessories like an RSS L-bracket and some other goodies, it's going to be a 7K investment getting into the FF game. I need to earn some extra cash while I wait for the right moment. And I can wait. But not too long. I went shooting RW Blackbirds the other night, and there was so much noise at 800 and 1600 with my 40D that it made me sick. Soon I won't be able to stand it any longer. I haven't melted down a credit card in a very long time. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Arggghhhh. :bash

David, I hear you, brother... Jumping from APC to FF is a major investment. Everything gets at least twice as expensive as it was. And even jumpring from 5D2 to 5D3 is a solid exercise for your wallet...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 26, 2012
    I went shooting RW Blackbirds the other night, and there was so much noise at 800 and 1600 with my 40D that it made me sick.
    Really? Here's the 40D at ISO 1250. Doesn't look that bad, does it? headscratch.gif

746969307_8Hps8-X2-2.jpg
    edited April 26, 2012
    I was shooting at twilight, so yeah, it was getting ugly. With the 400 5.6 handheld, I have to push it to 1600 or above to get steady shots. I want me a 5D3. :cry Of course, I also want a full set of T/S's and maybe a 400 2.8 too. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and ^, nice!
    My Smugmug