i-cS9wQB2-XL.jpg

5.B&W
i-hvqqgSm-XL.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Nice texture in the waves in #1 & #2 - prefer the colour in #1 to B&W. #3 has very interesting colours/reflections. #4 & #5 have good texture, but do not jump out at me. Would go with #1 then #3.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I can't take my eyes off #3. I love the colors and patterns. I like the idea of photographing rust for texture. But to best see the texture of rust, you want to photograph it on something that still has areas that are not rusted so you can see the contrast between the two.

You like to photograph birds -- what about shooting one really close up so we can see the texture of its feathers? Or try cropping a shot of a bird that zeros in on its feathers? mwink.gif
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I do like the textures and overall effect of the Fresnell lens shot, but there's such a small area overall that's in tack sharp focus (lower left) that I'm distracted looking for sharpness in the rest of the image.

From the set you've posted, I prefer the B&W of the birds. To me it captures the variation in water texture better than the color version (which to me is compromised by the color shift to brown in the middle and lower half.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Nice texture in the waves in #1 & #2 - prefer the colour in #1 to B&W. #3 has very interesting colours/reflections. #4 & #5 have good texture, but do not jump out at me. Would go with #1 then #3.
    Thank you for the input
    richtersl wrote: »
    I can't take my eyes off #3. I love the colors and patterns. I like the idea of photographing rust for texture. But to best see the texture of rust, you want to photograph it on something that still has areas that are not rusted so you can see the contrast between the two.

You like to photograph birds -- what about shooting one really close up so we can see the texture of its feathers? Or try cropping a shot of a bird that zeros in on its feathers? mwink.gif

Thanks Linda I did not have my Macro lens with me but both of those ideas are on the list, time permitting.
    billseye wrote: »
    I do like the textures and overall effect of the Fresnell lens shot, but there's such a small area overall that's in tack sharp focus (lower left) that I'm distracted looking for sharpness in the rest of the image.

From the set you've posted, I prefer the B&W of the birds. To me it captures the variation in water texture better than the color version (which to me is compromised by the color shift to brown in the middle and lower half.
    I took a lot of shots of that lens but it was hard to pick out one that popped, it just did not come across when looking at it to the capture. Thanks for the feedback
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I would suggest to look into your lens shots and find the best one - very nice!!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I took a lot of shots of that lens but it was hard to pick out one that popped, it just did not come across when looking at it to the capture. Thanks for the feedback

I've taken close-ups of the fresnell lens at the Cabrillo Lighthouse in San Diego and of the Cabrillo Point Lighthouse in Northern CA. It's dang hard to capture the colors and vibrance of the scene! headscratch.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    The fresnel lens is the one that grabs me. I really like the texture in the rust and prefer color to B&W. Of the birds, I like the color better, but could go either way.