New Facebook Page For My Photography Website

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I finally put up a facebook page for my photography site and would love some feedback / opinions / etc.

My website is www.johntookmypicture.com and the facebook page is:

http://www.facebook.com/business/insights/?pages&i=66374719840#/pages/Midland-GA/wwwjohntookmypicturecom/66374719840

Thanks!
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• Someday_DreamerSomeday_Dreamer Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    I finally put up a facebook page for my photography site and would love some feedback / opinions / etc.

http://www.facebook.com/business/insights/?pages&i=66374719840#/pages/Midland-GA/wwwjohntookmypicturecom/66374719840

Thanks!

Hello--

I wanted to see how you did this as it is something I have been considering but I am getting a message that we have to be signed in to Facebook to see this??? True or an error on my part??

Thanks
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hello--

I wanted to see how you did this as it is something I have been considering but I am getting a message that we have to be signed in to Facebook to see this??? True or an error on my part??

Thanks

I guess that's true - the facebook site has business pages that you can create once you are a member. So I am a regular member, but then created a business page to promote my regular www.johntookmypicture.com website.
    John in Georgia
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    I guess that's true - the facebook site has business pages that you can create once you are a member. So I am a regular member, but then created a business page to promote my regular www.johntookmypicture.com website.

How do you create a "business page"? I've looked all over my face book and can't find it.

Thanks
    Jerry Nelson
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1210356081
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    jhelms wrote:

Ah! So this is a promo only for members of Facebook. Forget everyone else? ne_nau.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    jhelms wrote:

Thanks!
    It's blocked at my "day job" so I'll have to check it out when I get home. But I'm very interested to see how it goes for you. I've been seriously considering setting up one for myself. So hearing some real feedback about its effectiveness would be useful.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Ah! So this is a promo only for members of Facebook. Forget everyone else? ne_nau.gif

I wonder what the value is in having a business page that only a select few can view?
    I would certainly not sign up for a facebook account in order to view what really amounts to an ad for a business!!!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Yeah, it's only for 175,000,000 people.
    edited March 5, 2009
    How do you create a "business page"? I've looked all over my face book and can't find it.

Thanks
    Jerry Nelson
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1210356081

I ran into the same thing - but it's all the way at the bottom whenever you are viewing a business page. It should say "create a page for my business" or something like that.

jdryan3 wrote:

Sort of, it's just an additional way to market my website and drive traffic to it, raise awareness, etc.

Since FB is all about connecting and re-connecting with people, it will help me push/force-feed information to my circle of influence whenever I upload pics it will remind them. When I'm going to be photographing an event, it reminds them, etc.

Blaker wrote:
    I wonder what the value is in having a business page that only a select few can view?
    I would certainly not sign up for a facebook account in order to view what really amounts to an ad for a business!!!

It's not a replacement for my main website, just an additional 'aspect' of it I guess.

I'm looking at this along the same lines of having a blog that references your website, or a feed that tells people when you make updates - just another way to get the info out there.

FB and pages like this answer the question "so... what have you been up to lately?"

Laughing.gif @ Andy thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    If its a business like photography, does facebook still own the images once placed on the website?
    edited March 5, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    If its a business like photography, does facebook still own the images once placed on the website?

I know there has been some ongoing debate about that, but I'm not sure what the resolution has been.

Prior to now, I have just been using the simplemug application to post an update when I've uploaded new pics (on my personal FB page) but it doesn't actually load or save the pics to FB.

But with the photography business page that's definitely something I need to find out.
    John in Georgia
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    I ran into the same thing - but it's all the way at the bottom whenever you are viewing a business page. It should say "create a page for my business" or something like that.

I must be dumber than a rock...but I still can't find out how to create such a page. I think it's a great idea. Even if it doesn't drive great amount of traffic to my site, nothing bad can come from having it up there. Thanks!
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I must be dumber than a rock...but I still can't find out how to create such a page. I think it's a great idea. Even if it doesn't drive great amount of traffic to my site, nothing bad can come from having it up there. Thanks!

I'm at work and can't access Facebook or I could tell you exactly where to look. It's a one liner near the bottom of your page I believe. Do a 'find' on 'Business' and I think you will see it. If not I'll check when I get home.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    jhelms wrote:
    Sort of, it's just an additional way to market my website and drive traffic to it, raise awareness, etc. Laughing.gif @ Andy thumb.gif

Sorry my joke was sooo subliminal rolleyes1.gif
    I got that the FB posting was a way drive people to jhelms website and think it is a great ideabowdown.gif . I also see folks doing some cool things with Twitter and LinkedIn, which may have overlapping participants but often don't.

What happens when you quote people who quote people is the embedded first quote gets dropped. My quote above was a reply to jhelms reply to this quote:
    Hello--
    Which I think was an honest question, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't poking fun at Someday_Dreamer with my comment.

I'll just go crawl back into my hole now and maybe see my shadow when I crawl back out in another 3 months.
    :thwak
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009

Here is a link to the help page that talks about adding a business page:

http://www.facebook.com/help.php?hq=business+page&ref=hq

It's not easy to find - it's not you!
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Hilarious.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

of which only a mere 175 are adults the rest are kidsrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 9, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    of which only a mere 175 are adults the rest are kidsrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Hah, I said the same thing, to which [post=1045981]Andy replied[/post]:
    90% of my friends list are in their 40s.

Kids?

Indeed some reports say the fastest growing group of new users is the 35-54 year old demographic: http://www.istrategylabs.com/2009-facebook-demographics-and-statistics-report-276-growth-in-35-54-year-old-users/

Another report claims that it's women over 55:
    http://www.insidefacebook.com/2009/02/02/fastest-growing-demographic-on-facebook-women-over-55/

Bottom line, it's not just for kids anymore. Which means it's not cool. Which means the kids should be fleeing it any minute now, but that's just fine for us olds, right? (Said the 38-year old.)
    edited March 9, 2009
    I just thought of a remarkably bad (maybe) analogy:

Some people consider television evil. It rots the brain, has nothing of value, blah blah blah.

But if you're a professional photographer and were offered 60-seconds of free prime-time advertising on a local TV station that is regularly viewed by all your former customers as well as all of their myriad friends and family, would you turn it down, for all of TV's inherent evilness? Keep in mind that this commercial would run every day, and be shown to this very specific group of potential customers regularly. In fact, not only is it a targeted group of consumers, the commercial has an implicit endorsement from the friend whose "channel" they're all watching.

Ok ok, analogy is rapidly falling apart. Nonetheless -- Facebook is currently free for businesses. Seems like it'd be silly not to take advantage of free advertising, even if it's just a bunch of 35-55 year old "kids" on there.
    edited March 10, 2009
    darryl wrote:

Ok ok, analogy is rapidly falling apart. Nonetheless -- Facebook is currently free for businesses. Seems like it'd be silly not to take advantage of free advertising, even if it's just a bunch of 35-55 year old "kids" on there.

I totally agree - it was that thinking that led me to go ahead and start the page there! thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    edited March 12, 2009
    BTW, my personal facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1554137105

If you add me as a friend just put 'dgrin' or 'smugmug' or something in the personal message to me, since I do try to at least remember where/how I know people on there... :)
    John in Georgia
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I've pretty much done something similiar
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Midland-GA/wwwjohntookmypicturecom/66374719840#/profile.php?id=1610847703

My wife set me up a page a few months agoi just for fune to see if I could find some old friends. Just started thinking more and more about using this to promote my photography business. So I'm just using a personal pagge and not a business page.

What I am doing right now (I shoot primarily sports) is daily I am trying to expand my friends - anyone and everyone I know and have associations with plus manufactures that can help create commercial business. I have been uploading 4 photos every other day to my photo galleries to try and keep my name up on everone wall with some teaser photos. using a new and larger watermark to promote my SM site - I'm no longer worring about people stealing my images for person use - they are going to screen capture them anyway. I'm changing my attiture and looking at this as free publicity. Due to this I have also changed all my galleries to allow access to links and email photos from my SM sire which I had in the pastt always disabled. Added the FaceBook application that all new photo uploads to my SM site will get posted to my FaceBook wall as well.

Put a FaceBook note under my SM home page slide show telling my customers to join as my FaceBook friend to keep update on new photos from my site.

Just trying to find ways to keep up with the times

Michael
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    According to the Photo Attorney blog, facebooks terms of service are a little messed up for photographers.

John Harrington over at the Photo Business News & Forum isn't too crazy about facebooks terms of services either.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 18, 2010
    Just a quick update to this - it's been going pretty well. Basically what I do is upload sneak peaks or particular photos to my facebook page and then direct fans to the actual galleries on my smugmug page....

http://www.facebook.com/johntookmypicture?ref=mf

www.johntookmypicture.com

www.fortbenningphotos.com
    John in Georgia
  • annarocksannarocks Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2010
    Thanks for sharing!
    I think your page is great! It is inspiring me to get one started as well. Thank you!!!

Anna Rocks