Thoughts on #8

RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited September 22, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all :wave

I'm working on an idea for number 8. The idea was to try and find someone "weathered" polishing something. Ha ha. yes. very literal. :wink Anyway, the woman I found, despite her age, looked not at all weathered, oh well. But I'm wondering what your thoughts might be on the idea or the execution. I plan to shoot more soon, but don't want to bark up the wrong tree. Any thoughts on what I could do differently/better (or even ideas on a title) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :D

370885101_CDtDF-XL.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Since you posted this photo, all I've been able to think is "Breathtaking".

Between her extraordinary face *exactly* reflected where it needs to be in the the composition, and the reflections of all the related "stuff" (and NONE of things you don't want), I have sat and stared at it for many minutes in the last 24hrs thinking, 'How did she DO that?!".
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    It's an interesting idea. I think the composition and story could use "polishing up" if you continue to pursue this. mwink.gif For one, I didn't ever notice this item was being held--I thought it was resting on a table with someone standing over it--until I read your note. My eyes never registered the fingers in the frame, just the reflections.

To emphasize it's someone "weathered" polishing it, I'd include more of the hand and really bring out the details in the wrinkles. I'd also angle the teacup (?) a little more to the left, both to increase the diagonal as well as to include all of the handle. The missing tip of the handle makes the image feel a bit incomplete to me.

Good luck! thumb.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gifIt takes a good look to see the image and what is going on... I didn't even see the reflection of the woman until it was mentioned in this post... As is, it looks abstract and polished with some blown highlights...

Winston
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    I tend to agree with the above also, I most definitely think you should persue the direction you're headin' in though....Nice!! thumb.gif
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
    BillyTom wrote:
    I tend to agree with the above also, I most definitely think you should persue the direction you're headin' in though....Nice!! thumb.gif

While I can't claim the expertise you all do, I have to say that I DID see both the hand and the reflected face in my first glance. Maybe that's even BECAUSE because I'm not such an experienced photographer, therefore saw "story" before "technique"? Not sure it adds much to your process, Rebecca, but I thought it was kinda interesting. :)
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Thanks all for your thoughts! thumb.gif I've never really tried asking random people to help me out, so my first attempt really consisted of "Hi. Can I take your photo? Ok. *click* Thanks". So I'll try and get some more shots this week and be a little more brave about it (comfort zone: prepare to die!). Interesting mixed comments though. I've been getting the same on this end- some people like it as is and some people have no idea what's going on. ne_nau.gif
    edited September 14, 2008
    Thanks all for your thoughts! thumb.gif I've never really tried asking random people to help me out, so my first attempt really consisted of "Hi. Can I take your photo? Ok. *click* Thanks". So I'll try and get some more shots this week and be a little more brave about it (comfort zone: prepare to die!). Interesting mixed comments though. I've been getting the same on this end- some people like it as is and some people have no idea what's going on. ne_nau.gif

Looking at it again: is it possible to bring out her RH side more (not sure if it's her right or left, but the one on the RH side of the picture, the shadowy one)? That might make it clearer. Just at thought :)
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Wow! Some amazing photos have been submitted! clap.gifI gave re-shooting this one a shot but my model went on holiday to the US ne_nau.gif Oh well! This challenge was tricky for me, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the great comments and suggestions!