Dgrin and the Cafe do the shuttle launch

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 20, 2008 in Journeys
Hi y'all,

Our (Dgrin and the Nikon Cafe) planned MI V (annual Merritt Island wildlife shoot) hit a slight snag when Nasa decied to plan a shuttle launch in the middle of our week that closed the MINWR for most of our week. I wrote NASA a nasty letter telling them that we had that week first and to please consult with us on future launches. So what do a group of bird shooters when they can't shoot birds? They shoot the launch.

Having shot a prior launch with my 500mm I decided to shoot this one with my 28-70 and my 70-200.

The prep
252989867_C3VZW-XL.jpg

252989937_zsjH5-XL.jpg

252989862_rfNy9-XL.jpg

252989933_NUpzN-XL.jpg

252989984_Be3H4-XL.jpg

252990219_tgXwk-XL.jpg

252990217_Dpavn-XL.jpg

252990320_UzqmZ-XL.jpg

252990413_QEfjU-XL.jpg

the wait
252990032_mzCVR-XL.jpg

252990215_rj5Du-XL.jpg

252990273_dvXYx-XL.jpg

252990266_qALud-XL.jpg

252990455_DVRTq-XL.jpg

its off!!!
252990439_NEjFU-XL.jpg

252990505_sDXhj-XL.jpg

252990084_X4TDw-XL.jpg

252990114_RaZrF-XL.jpg

252990506_PL97h-XL.jpg

252990499_w9NmA-XL.jpg

252990575_5dUwM-XL.jpg

252990586_KAbes-XL.jpg

252989873_rtnCc-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Wow. That must be such a sight. iloveyou.gif

Nice series, Harry, nice to see some familiar faces. Hi, Nightingale! wave.gif (you don't come around much anymore mwink.gif)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    Glad you chose to show us the perspective instead of focus on the launch - probably a bit more interesting.

I have to ask, did you apply some sort of "dreamy" treatment? A lot of the portraits have that soft high school yearbook look. Either that, or my eyes are finally starting to go on me!
    lol3.gif

But, uh, where's the Corona's??

and a real question:
    what's the sound like at that distance? comparable to, say, an airport? or a NASCAR race? do tell ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Love that you showed these...it was fun getting to look at all of the photogs and their gear getting ready for the launch.

But I must say the one that give me the giggles was the woman with the disposable camera....I don't know why but it just made me laugh. :lol4
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 10, 2008
    Compared to the exhaust plume, the VAB looks awfully tiny :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow. That must be such a sight. iloveyou.gif

Nice series, Harry, nice to see some familiar faces. Hi, Nightingale! wave.gif (you don't come around much anymore mwink.gif)

It is a sight David. This was my sixth launch and only the second time that they actually launched the shuttle while I was there. It was great that it went off while so many out of staters were present. Its really something everyone should see at least once.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Glad you chose to show us the perspective instead of focus on the launch - probably a bit more interesting.

I have to ask, did you apply some sort of "dreamy" treatment? A lot of the portraits have that soft high school yearbook look. Either that, or my eyes are finally starting to go on me!
    lol3.gif

But, uh, where's the Corona's??

and a real question:
    what's the sound like at that distance? comparable to, say, an airport? or a NASCAR race? do tell ear.gif

Having shot the shuttle before
    161227097_nuCWd-L.jpg

I wanted to do a different perspective this time. I usually find the audience to be a lot more interesting than the actual show.

My HS yearbook as all B&W, color photography was way too expensive in those days so I don't know anything about that soft HS yearbook stuff. :rutt

I did use a soft focus filter on some of these shots though.

This launch was fairly quiet but I've seen some that really shook the place up.
    Harry
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Thanks for shareing Harry. I was on an airplane on my way back to the frozen north when it took off. I was half hopeing I would still be able to see it from the plane but I couldn't :cry.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    252990266_qALud-XL.jpg
    Lift-off of these spectators from their camp chairs may be as much an achievement as for the astronauts to achieve orbit, and may place their health at greater danger! :D
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Great sacrifice on your part for not looking at the launching but busy shooting the crowd. Thanks for sharing
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    :D Cool stuf at both ends eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Great series, Harry! I've only been to one launch, and definitely spent more time watching the shuttle than the spectators... plus it was at night, and cold.
    Chris
    edited February 11, 2008
    Love that you showed these...it was fun getting to look at all of the photogs and their gear getting ready for the launch.

But I must say the one that give me the giggles was the woman with the disposable camera....I don't know why but it just made me laugh. :lol4

There is an amazing collection of photographic gear from the high end to the low end at a launch. Everybody just seems to want to catch a memory from the event.
    Harry
    edited February 11, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Compared to the exhaust plume, the VAB looks awfully tiny :D

It was kind of NASA to place it there to give us some perspective on a launch shot.

From the NASA web site:

"The VAB covers 3.25 hectares (8 acres). It is 160 meters (525 ft) tall, 218 meters (716 ft) long and 158 meters (518 ft) wide. It encloses 3,664,883 cubic meters (129,428,000 cubic feet) of space."
    Harry
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Love the perspective Harry! I am jealous of every single one of you. umph.gif:D Glad you got an on-time launch too. They had estimated only a 30% chance that the weather would hold off.

I did visit the complex once though and you are right, the VAB is impressive. It's like distant mountains, you keep expecting to get there and you aren't even close yet.

If you want a different perspective of the launch, Dgrinner Ben Cooper had a closer seat, or at least his cameras did.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    All that and not one "Plumbers Crack" beautiful!!!

lol, Great Shots!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited February 11, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Thanks for shareing Harry. I was on an airplane on my way back to the frozen north when it took off. I was half hopeing I would still be able to see it from the plane but I couldn't :cry.

Sorry you had to miss it Nick. Even sorrier that you had to go back to the cold and snow.

Remember if you need a sun fix you always have a room waiting for ya. :cavig
    Harry
    edited February 11, 2008
    Lift-off of these spectators from their camp chairs may be as much an achievement as for the astronauts to achieve orbit, and may place their health at greater danger! :D

rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    edited February 11, 2008
    david-low wrote:
    Great sacrifice on your part for not looking at the launching but busy shooting the crowd. Thanks for sharing

Thanks David but it really wasn't that much of a sacrifice. I had already shot a prior launch and I did manage to get a few "wide" angle shots of this launch in. Plus I live in the area and they are hoping to do another twelve launches over the next year.
    Harry
    edited February 12, 2008
    :D Cool stuf at both ends eek7.gif

Thanks Awais wave.gif
    Harry
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Nice shots, I always wanted to see all that.....

Do you think it scared all the birds on Merritt Island over to Vera wetlands?

Sorry I missed it this year,

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited February 12, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Great series, Harry! I've only been to one launch, and definitely spent more time watching the shuttle than the spectators... plus it was at night, and cold.

Thanks Chris. I went to a night launch once (it didn't go up) and it was a tad chilly.
    Harry
    edited February 12, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Love the perspective Harry! I am jealous of every single one of you. umph.gif:D Glad you got an on-time launch too. They had estimated only a 30% chance that the weather would hold off.

I did visit the complex once though and you are right, the VAB is impressive. It's like distant mountains, you keep expecting to get there and you aren't even close yet.

If you want a different perspective of the launch, Dgrinner Ben Cooper had a closer seat, or at least his cameras did.

It wasn't looking too good but they got it off. I was real happy because we had so many out-of-staters there who wouldn't get another chance to see a launch.

Ben's shots are fantastic. bowdown.gif
    Harry
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Harry, like the wide angle with the plume. And I love seeing the views of spectators. After each shuttle launch I go through the galleries on (e.g. Florida Today) to see how the crowds faired.

The weather cleared up beautifully to permit an on time launch (well, if you want to get technical, on time after a two month delay).

The next shuttle launch, currently March 11 (night of March 10) will be a light-up-the-county night launch. Only the second one since Columbia, so far.

I'm glad you all got to see one! Everyone should definitely see one once. If I had to choose I would say night time of course.

I think this one was quiet because the breeze wind was strong out of the west. The loudest ones (especially from 12 miles away in Titusville) are always either when the wind is calm and the air is humid; or at least if the breeze is off the ocean. The further away you are the more it can be affected by conditions like those. Sometimes it can really rattle the windows in Titusville.

I have some more posted here.
    edited February 13, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    All that and not one "Plumbers Crack" beautiful!!!

lol, Great Shots!

Oh, I got a few "crack" shots too but for once I opted to go with good taste. :D
    Harry
    edited February 14, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Nice shots, I always wanted to see all that.....

Do you think it scared all the birds on Merritt Island over to Vera wetlands?

Sorry I missed it this year,

Z

Hey Z,

NASA has a bunch of shuttle launches planned this year so you should have a chance. The next one is scheduled for March 11th. I think its a night launch too.

I'm sorry that you missed the shoot too but there's always next year.
    Harry
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    You peeps seems be well equiped =)rolleyes1.gifrofl
    edited February 14, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    You peeps seems be well equiped =)rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Corona's and Glass. What more do you need rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 14, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Corona's and Glass. What more do you need rolleyes1.gif

and I would have you know that its not easy to find a site where you can view the launch and also has a tiki bar serving Coronas beer.gif
    Harry
    edited February 14, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    and I would have you know that its not easy to find a site where you can view the launch and also has a tiki bar serving Coronas beer.gif

tiki bar? be right over naughty.gif
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    and I would have you know that its not easy to find a site where you can view the launch and also has a tiki bar serving Coronas
    beer.gif

corona :O. In sweden that´s beer for people who dosn´t like beer ;)