Restrict lightbox photos size to original size

corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited May 19, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all,

Is there a way to restrict the size of the photo displayed in the lightbox (http://www.orinosphotography.com/Photo-Exhibit/Places/Beijing2015/i-HDz9w7M/A) so that the photo is not blown up more than its original size? This should be irrespective of browser or monitor resolution.

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 17, 2015
    You are allowing access to the Original images. You should select the largest display size to be anything smaller than Original. If you print through SmugMug the original will still be used for printing.

The display size is set on the Photo Protection tab in gallery settings, help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1227357.

Also see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93250-what-are-available-display-sizes-.

--- Denise
  • corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    Hi Denise,

I think that your reply (if I understood it well) does not solve my problem, which I will try to better explain. In most of my galleries I upload photos that are already downsized on Photoshop to fit inside a frame that is 1300px wide by 800px tall. Now, the problem is that in computer monitors that support very high resolutions, when the lightbox version of the photos are displayed, with the browser in full screen, then there are high chances that the photos will be magnified beyond the native dimensions (delimited by 1300 x 800px), resulting in pixelisation and loss of detail. I would rather have lightbox display a photo that does not fill the display rather than "zooming into" it.

Is the issue clearer this time?

Regards,
    Chris
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    Chris,

Images should not be showing larger than original size. It sounds like you have set your browser zoom really high. You can hold down the control or command key (the key depends on if you are a Mac or PC user) with the “number 0” key at the same time. This will reset the browser zoom and should fix the problem.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    I understand all about the zoom of the browser. It is set to the default 100% viewing. By the way, in case it helps, I have only seen this behavior on a Mac Book Pro (OS X Yosemite | Retina, 15-inch display [2880 x 1800]) using both Safari and Chrome.

Any ideas? Could it be that Mac (and its "retina" type of thing) scales up the photo to fill up the browser window?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2015
    corinos wrote: »
    Any ideas? Could it be that Mac (and its "retina" type of thing) scales up the photo to fill up the browser window?
    Yes, that's the way retina screens work if photos aren't available in a large enough size. They'd upsize the photos to approximately the sized they'd be displayed in on a regular screen.
    Keep in mind that this only happens on retina screens and you could reduce the quality loss by adjusting your gallery settings to allow for larger sizes. You'd get the best results by allowing originals, but of course, that would also allow any visitor to access your full size original. So you have to consider what is more important to you, the best possible quality on retina screens, or protection of your originals.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero