LPS#4 Considerations

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited April 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was toying around with some ideas for "artificial" and came up with these so far. I thought a possible caption might be along the lines of "Man-Made Man" or " Almost Human" or something like that. :scratch

They're situated in an alleyway that does not get a lot of sun and I'm struggling with not making them look too flat.

145108718-L.jpg

#2 (B&W)
145108729-L.jpg

#2 (Color)
145108742-L.jpg

145108758-L.jpg

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Of the set, I like #2 (B&W) the best. In that shot the mannequin expresses a certain "trapped behind bars" feeling that raises it above the rest. The color version doesn't work nearly as well because the bright colors in the backround draw attention away from the face.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Of the set, I like #2 (B&W) the best. In that shot the mannequin expresses a certain "trapped behind bars" feeling that raises it above the rest. The color version doesn't work nearly as well because the bright colors in the backround draw attention away from the face.
    Thanks for your feedback -- I had been wondering the same about the color version. bowdown.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif However, I must also say that this "let me out of here" message kills "artificial" one..deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif However, I must also say that this "let me out of here" message kills "artificial" one..deal.gif

I'll respectfully disagree on that. No one is going to be fooled into thinking that is a real person. Something that is artificial is an imitation or a replacement for somthing that is real. To convey artificial it helps to evoke an image in the viewers mind of what is being imitated.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I'll respectfully disagree on that. No one is going to be fooled into thinking that is a real person. Something that is artificial is an imitation or a replacement for somthing that is real. To convey artificial it helps to evoke an image in the viewers mind of what is being imitated.
    Hmm, maybe you're right... headscratch.gif
    ON that note.. is "Terminator" image copyrighted? mwink.gif:D That would be bitching artificial entry to me deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I'll vote for #2 as my favorite as well...really evokes a feeling. Makes an inanimate object seem alive. Isn't that the idea of something being "artificial"? An imitation of life? Just my 2 cents...
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I like the last image. It's very striking. And I think it fits the theme well.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    #2 B&W is my favorite, then #1 for me. Good idea and nice shots. I think there's too much negative space in the last one which doesn't add to the image.
    Chris
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    My vote goes to #2 also, well done
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited April 20, 2007
    iloveyou.gifbowdown.gif Thank you so much for the feedback! I worked myself into a tizzy when I started playing with these in PS, and that just lead to --> headscratch.gifdunno :help .

Now I need to work on a caption...:ginger
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Simple Grey World
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I'll respectfully disagree on that...

Besides, simplicity in #2 makes for elegance, whereas the color version looses some of the cold reality of the grey world.
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    striking!
    My favorite is #2 (B&W) as well
    I see that is the one you have posted so far,
    great choice!

suggested caption idea = "Forgotten" ???
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Linda, these are very good! I don't even have an idea for this challenge and you've entered a real contender:D. How about Abandoned for a title?

Jill
    Jill
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Definitely #2 Linda.....love the contrast. He looks "Almost Mortal". thumb.gif
    edited April 21, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Besides, simplicity in #2 makes for elegance, whereas the color version looses some of the cold reality of the grey world.
    Thank you so much for your feedback! iloveyou.gif
    JillG wrote:
    How about Abandoned for a title?
    saurora wrote:
    Definitely #2 Linda.....love the contrast. He looks "Almost Mortal". thumb.gif
    sherstone wrote:
    suggested caption idea = "Forgotten" ???

WOW! :wow I wasn't expecting this. You folks are wonderful!! Thanks for all the thought-provoking ideas for a caption. All are terrific ideas!!! :Dthumb.gif
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Think of #3 with the background girl on the left, or maybe put the second girl on the left. Keep the balance of the frame, though!
    Robert
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    2 is an amazing shot, Linda, it connects on so many levels. great entry
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers