Uploading Videos from LR using the SM plugin

DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited November 26, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Since the update to Lightroom 6, I've had a really hard time uploading videos. It's really slow, and it typically fails. Is this a known problem? With a solution on the way? If not, what data can I collect to help diagnose it?

When I have galleries with both video and still shots, uploads frequently hang on the videos, and never complete. Even without videos, I've found that I've been seeing quite a few errors on upload - some indicate that I have an authorization problem, and some are unspecified.

Thanks!

David

Comments

• TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    Can you email us at help@smugmug.com and send us a link to your site and the version of the SmugMug plugin that you are using so we can dig into this issue and help you troubleshoot what may be going on please?
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    Done. Thank you for looking at this, Heather!
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2015
    I haven't gotten any to upload in quite a while.

I started discussing it here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=253270

But I think it got lost in the flood of LR6 issues. I just put in a reminder, but I also just tried the latest plugin with similar failures. Mine are not authorization, mine says "An internal error has occurred: Attempt to seek past the end of the file".
    edited May 20, 2015
    After some testing and discussion through email, I received a response that I find rather surprising: "The current version of the Lightroom uploader does not support large files. The engineers have been made aware of this and are working towards a fix in the next automatic update to the plugin."

Sounds like Furguson and I are seeing symptoms of the same problem, and the right people are now aware of it. I'm a little disturbed by the language, though - "does not support" is absolutely wrong. Video and large files are supported. There is simply a bug, and it needs to be fixed. Fixing the bug is providing support.
    edited June 3, 2015
    Any update on the plugin and large files?
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 3, 2015
    G'day David,

Sorry, I've been ignoring the video uploading problems while I worked out what was up with general uploading...which I believe I have sorted out now.

Can I get you to try uploading some video on version 2.2.9.0 and let me know how things go ? I'm assuming that you will experience the same issue with respect to videos but at least we should be able to focus on this issue rather than the issue being clouded by other upload issues that were being experienced.

As for the response you were provided in regard to large file support, that is total rubbish and if you could please supply me with the ticket number, I'll follow that up.

Can you also provide the video settings that you have configured for your publish service ? Specifically, the "Video Format" and whether you use the trimming feature for video within LR.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited June 4, 2015
    David, I'll send you a log from a failure. In looking at the log it says "too long". The video is in Lightroom that is about 24 minutes, but has been trimmed (in lightroom) to 16:15. When I upload it gives "Can't update this collection" and "An internal error has occurred: Attempt to seek past end of file". The log doesn't give me any clues.
    edited June 4, 2015
    The web uploader is also broken (differently symptoms but same issue?)
    I also tried uploading the same video by first exporting it, then uploading with the SM web uploader (in chrome).

First, I need to say that I've just given up on Video with Lightroom on Smugmug. This video, for example, at 26 minutes in its original MP4 format is 934 megabytes. When exported at 16 minutes trimmed with Lightroom to fit SM's limit of 20 minutes, it is a whopping 2,587 megabytes, with LESS resolution (since you cannot trim and also keep the original resolution). Clearly the rendering parameters it uses (which are outside of user control I think) are at issue. This concern I posted here (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=253563 ) though no one commented on the issue, but it would appear to me that Lightroom itself is the culprit, and it means you are wasting many times the bandwidth in upload given how it works (since SM then just whacks it back down in size).

Anyway, when I upload this 16 minute 2.6G file with Smugmug's uploader, it finishes and the video appears on SM, but the uploader itself never completes. It just sits at (nearly) 100% complete forever. I left it a while back over night - no change. But the video IS on SMU and shows as a complete upload without error.

I do not know that this issue affects the LR Plugin, but I wouldn't be surprised -- I assume under the covers they are sharing the same API tools.
    edited June 10, 2015
    G'day, David,

Now it's my turn to apologize for timing. I've been busy, and haven't had a chance to respond until now. As I mentioned, a SM Hero told me, "The current version of the Lightroom uploader does not support large files. The engineers have been made aware fo this and are working towards a fix in the next automatic update to the plugin." This was the resolution to case # 925606.

I'm testing video uploading again, and will get back to you shortly.

David
    edited June 10, 2015
    David (DBR), the other David (devbobo) has found one issue with larger files and is working on it.
    edited June 10, 2015
    Ferguson wrote: »
    David (DBR), the other David (devbobo) has found one issue with larger files and is working on it.

Linwood, I've already PM'd him the plugin thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DuaneADuaneA Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    SM Plugin for LR "Include Videos" Checkbox always checked
    The LR plugin settings checkbox to "Include video files" cannot be un-checked. The checkbox is located in the Video section of the plugin settings. The box is checked by default, and if I un-check it, the un-checked status is not retained when I click Save. Every time that I re-open the settings dialog, the box is once again checked even though I unchecked it in a prior setting.

I have the latest version 2.3.3 of the plugin (updated it yesterday with the LR plugin manager on 11/19/2015). I am using the latest version of LR CC, release 2015.3.

My assumption is that this checkbox is to be unchecked if one does not want to include videos in the upload to Smugmug. I have videos salted throughout a large number of collections, and every time that I publish, I get an informational dialog about videos that could not be synced that pops up and pauses the upload after each collection. I am trying to AT LEAST get my photos synced without having to babysit LR while the publish process is running.

Please let me know if this is user-error, or something else. Either way, I am looking for a solution to prevent my uploads from pausing so frequently.

Thanks.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    I've passed this along to our developer and we'll get back to you soon!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited November 26, 2015
    DuaneA wrote: »
    The LR plugin settings checkbox to "Include video files" cannot be un-checked. The checkbox is located in the Video section of the plugin settings. The box is checked by default, and if I un-check it, the un-checked status is not retained when I click Save. Every time that I re-open the settings dialog, the box is once again checked even though I unchecked it in a prior setting.

I have the latest version 2.3.3 of the plugin (updated it yesterday with the LR plugin manager on 11/19/2015). I am using the latest version of LR CC, release 2015.3.

My assumption is that this checkbox is to be unchecked if one does not want to include videos in the upload to Smugmug. I have videos salted throughout a large number of collections, and every time that I publish, I get an informational dialog about videos that could not be synced that pops up and pauses the upload after each collection. I am trying to AT LEAST get my photos synced without having to babysit LR while the publish process is running.

Please let me know if this is user-error, or something else. Either way, I am looking for a solution to prevent my uploads from pausing so frequently.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this isn't how this feature works. If you have "Include video files" deselected, if only prevents you from adding videos to your galleries.

If you have videos in an existing gallery and you have "Include video files" deselected, it will throw this error during a publish....

image.png

This plugin has no control over how that works, but the next version of the plugin should resolve the issue if it kept becoming selected.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos