Assignment #23: Leaves

2»

Comments

• PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    just got my DSLR
    I saw this and shot it...thinking would work for the "glass entry."

After looking at it, I determined I was quite wrong. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, here's some leaves. With a bit of glass.

128184533-M.jpg
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Photog,
    Photog wrote:
    I saw this and shot it...thinking would work for the "glass entry."
    After looking at it, I determined I was quite wrong. rolleyes1.gif
    Anyway, here's some leaves. With a bit of glass.

Very nice shot! I love the colors! thumb.gif

It seemed a bit flat to me, so I took a liberty to modify it a bit.
    All I did was to open in PC (CS3), curves adjustment layer in Lumonosity mode, and then set black and white point. I didn't even do any curving per se..

See if you like it!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks for the tip! I just opened Fireworks and gave it a shot! Oooo! Cool.

This is going to be fun!
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Hopefully this meets the criteria...
    IMG_6441_2.jpg

Thanks,
    Michael
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    edited February 8, 2007
    Michael,
    STLMach1 wrote:
    Hopefully this meets the criteria...
    Thanks,
    Michael

It sure does! thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2007
    Com,
    com3 wrote:
    can i still play? :D

Please tell me it's not a poison oak bowdown.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the entry! thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Please tell me it's not a poison oak bowdown.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the entry! thumb.gif

hahah! nah, it's not...i don't think... mwink.gif
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Here's your Oak
    Wow, what a process to figure out!! Anyway. Can I play? (be gentle, it's my first time....)

128387821-L.jpgspacer.gif126492942#128387821126492942#128387821-L-LB126492942#128387821-L-LB
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited February 8, 2007
    Xris,
    xris wrote:
    Wow, what a process to figure out!! Anyway. Can I play? (be gentle, it's my first time....)

Thank you for the entry and welcome to the Class!

I again took the liberty to adjust your image similar to the one above, by simply setting up its black and white points (in Luminosity mode). Hope you don't mind...
    edited February 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the entry and welcome to the Class!

I again took the liberty to adjust your image similar to the one above, by simply setting up its black and white points (in Luminosity mode). Hope you don't mind...
    No prob's. Experimentation is the name o the game. Thing is, while its seems to have gained some contrast, it also seems to have lost it's colour and gained a lot of grey.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited February 8, 2007
    Xris,
    xris wrote:
    No prob's. Experimentation is the name o the game. Thing is, while its seems to have gained some contrast, it also seems to have lost it's colour and gained a lot of grey.

Maybe infamous browser/os/gamma/color space issue headscratch.gif
    I'm on XP SP2/IE7.
    I see neither color loss nor gain of gray..ne_nau.gif

Anybody else can check please?
    edited February 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Maybe infamous browser/os/gamma/color space issue headscratch.gif
    I'm on XP SP2/IE7.
    I see neither color loss nor gain of gray..ne_nau.gif

Anybody else can check please?

my LCD is calibrated. yes, it's slightly greyed, but i think that gives it a great feel for what the shot really looks like; cold, drab, sorrowful, dead. it's perfect. great shot!

here's a slightly haxed version with a little more color (+38 sat, CS2)...tell me if you can see the difference on your monitor.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Com3
    com3 wrote:
    my LCD is calibrated. yes, it's slightly greyed, but i think that gives it a great feel for what the shot really looks like; cold, drab, sorrowful, dead. it's perfect. great shot!

here's a slightly haxed version with a little more color (+38 sat, CS2)...tell me if you can see the difference on your monitor.

Yeah I can see about 30%+ saturation, but don't trust my eyes...mwink.gif
    edited February 8, 2007
    com3 wrote:

Thanks for the kind comment. I was trying for the warmth of autumn. And, frankly, I think I got it, But you just bettered it.

Okay. Here goes. I'm on FF under Ubuntu, with an LCD -- but I'll check it using a CRT under XP using IE 7 momentarily. Thing is, the com3 version looks great here. Same colours as original but more saturated. Far closer to the look of a real dried oak leaf IMHO.

Stay tuned. The XP box is in my office. As Arnold once said: "I'll be bock...."
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited February 8, 2007
    Okay. On the XP IE7 box with CRT everything looks just slightly warmer. Makes the com3 version look almost sunny. Crisp and bright. Lots of colour. Nikolai's version gains just enough chroma to wash away some of the cool greys. I'm actually amazed at how different the mood can be with a just a couple of slight twists of the wrist!
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited February 9, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Thanks for the kind comment. I was trying for the warmth of autumn. And, frankly, I think I got it, But you just bettered it.

haha! i took the opposite from your pic... i thought of if more as the drab coldness of late fall/early winter. that's what the greying aspect of it felt like to me. :)

that's what's so cool about photography... anyone can interpret it differently, and it'll always mean just as much.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Not really an assiignment entry (taken a while ago) but something to look out for- leaf miner tracks.
    Brian V.

219238260_32a5e1edf5_o.jpg
    edited February 9, 2007
    Not really an assiignment entry (taken a while ago) but something to look out for- leaf miner tracks.
    Brian V.

wow! that really pops! good stuff!!
  • JustRamblingJustRambling Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2016
    I only got one picture for this assignment. I may come back in the fall to do it again. :)

DSC_0205-XL.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 25, 2016
    Hi Diana! I notice you are doing all the Nikolai's Assignments and that's great you would like to learn your new camera better! Also, welcome to dgrin!

Not sure if Nikolai is around to comment on your images, but keep up the work on learning and I will do my best try and help you.
  • JustRamblingJustRambling Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2016
    JAG wrote: »
    Hi Diana! I notice you are doing all the Nikolai's Assignments and that's great you would like to learn your new camera better! Also, welcome to dgrin!

Not sure if Nikolai is around to comment on your images, but keep up the work on learning and I will do my best try and help you.

Thanks Joyce! :D I am loving my camera. I figured that probably nobody would comment since these lessons are so old, but I figured I might as well start from the beginning and work my way through. One of my students is in Digital Photo at the high school, and I've been taking a camera and using it when I can (when there were enough cameras for everyone) and the cameras they use are Nikon D3000's and D40's. So I learned a little about them there. Made it easy to get right into taking photos with this camera. wings.gif Still, Doing these assignments helps me to build on that.