Trip to Cuba doesn't look good right now

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 3, 2009 in Journeys
So some of you may recall my wife and I had a trip to Cuba all booked and paid for this coming September. Well, not sure how the trip is going to pan out now with the Swine Flu. We were laying over in Cancun, Mexico and I just got word that Cuba is not allowing any flights to or from Mexico. Not good. I know this is a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of this issue but we are really dissapointed right now.

At this point, we are not sure if we should see about booking a different destination for the same time or post-poning this trip until we see what happens. For now, we will wait a few weeks to see how this progresses.

If you don't know... they just raised the threat level to a 5. Worst case is 6 so this is getting serious.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    i know my parents go to Cuba every year. Same resort. they have made enough friends down there the resort has offered to store their luggage between visits!

Trip to Cuba with my parents is a dream vacation to me.

Interesting photo related side note....

My parents gave their first ever digital camera. Old 3megapixel Sony, was $1000 open box special at the time. I know I bought it for them.
    Anyways they gave a Cuban friend that camera and a little Canon photo printer. Using that camera and printer their friend has made enough money to buy a new couch in under a year. Obviously they visit a quiet area of Cuba as well.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    So some of you may recall my wife and I had a trip to Cuba all booked and paid for this coming September. Well, not sure how the trip is going to pan out now with the Swine Flu. We were laying over in Cancun, Mexico and I just got word that Cuba is not allowing any flights to or from Mexico. Not good. I know this is a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of this issue but we are really dissapointed right now.

At this point, we are not sure if we should see about booking a different destination for the same time or post-poning this trip until we see what happens. For now, we will wait a few weeks to see how this progresses.

If you don't know... they just raised the threat level to a 5. Worst case is 6 so this is getting serious.

I would see if I could re-book flights to avoid Mexico, if possible, right away and I would still go on the trip. I live in Canada and so far, it has been mild cases for us, no reported deaths as of yet. However, one thing to keep in mind is that over 3000 people die each year due to influenza/or from complications of. I feel that this thing is getting blown out of context. The media doesn't report of all the regular (thousands) of influenza deaths that already occur each year. Wash your hands like crazy, use the hand sanitizers, don't touch your face (eyes/mouth) and cover yourself into your elbow when you cough/sneeze....basic cleanliness. But that's just my two cents.
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Don't get me started on the media and the way they sensationalize everything. I also see how this strain of flu can really get out of control. The fact is that Cuba as closed all travel in and out of the island by way of Mexico. So it's not just that my wife and I are scared of going to Mexico.

We have a week booked in Cuba and a week in Cancun. Right now we have decided to wait about three or four more weeks to see how this thing pans out. Our trip isn't until September so we have some time. We just don't want getting surprised last minute and losing everything.

If we don't go to Cancun/Cuba, we have decided to go back to the Dominican Republic again. We went last year to Punta Cana, DR and loved it. This time we will go to Porta Plata though. We met a couple in Punta Cana from NY which really hit it off with and we have stayed in touch. They are going to Porta Plata so we will meet them there if our original plans don't work.

Either way is a good trip but I have my hopes set on Cuba. I have never been and most of my mother's family is still there. I would love to be able to meet them, bring back nice portraits for my mother, and see where my mother and father grew up. I am 100% American but I have strong ties to my Cuban heritage and culture.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site